It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

debrakisor HB User
does prostate biopsy hurt

does prostate biopsy hurt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
(male)

FoundryWorker HB User
Re: does prostate biopsy hurt

Mine did not, but everyone is different.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
(male)

mrmike2009 HB User

I would say it was as described - a slight pinch. I was surprised by the number of "pinches". I actually had to have two biopsies as the first showed no cancer, but other things that were questionable. Both times they took 12 samples - 6 from each side. Not sure how many your doctor plans on taking - but my guess is it will be a multiple of 6 since there are two sides and each side they take samples from the top, middle, and bottom.

Good luck and stay in touch

Old 11-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
(male)

holler1 HB User

I had two also, both 12 samples. During the prep the ultrasonic probe is inserted. The urologist and a helper move the probe around and collect the needles. They inject novocain or something similar before doing the biopsy, so it is not really painful. To me it was somewhat like having a tooth drilled, with kind of an expectation of pain, but it was more discomfort than pain. I felt the snap of each needle, and I was counting each one. After the doctor gets started, it takes maybe 10 minutes or so to finish but it seems longer. After my first biopsy, the thing that bothered me most was a strong urge to urinate (with nothing there) for an hour or so. I didn't have that problem with the second one, but with the second one I had a little bleeding and they kept me around for a few minutes to make sure it was OK.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

shs50 HB User

In case you weren't informed, its normal to have blood in ejaculations after a biopsy. Nothing to be concerned about.
Good Luck with the results.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
(male)

jimh4914 HB User

Have had two and while they were uncomfortable, not much hurt. Probably more damage to your dignity than anything else.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
(male)

tangerine dream HB User

hi im due for a prostate biospy within the next 2 weeks im worried about it will it hurt can i be knocked out also got to have a colonsopy dreddin both regards paul

Old 09-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
(male)

holler1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine dream View Post
hi im due for a prostate biospy within the next 2 weeks im worried about it will it hurt can i be knocked out also got to have a colonsopy dreddin both regards paul
I've also had two prostate biopsies. I would say there is a little pain, more of a little dull pain than anything else. The anticipation of pain was the worst part. Just try to focus on something else. It doesn't last very long. I don't know if some doctors will give anesthesia or not - it was not offered to me.

For the colonoscopy, I was given something that completely wiped out my memory of the procedure. I was told I was semiconscious, but I didn't remember a thing.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User

I fainted the first time I had a biopsy and the Uro shot me with those 18 gauge biopsy needles. It hurt like a mofo! On my second biopsy, I was put under and was drowsy all day. The third time, at a better hospital, the Uro numbed the area with a lidocaine numbing cream, then a nerve block -- that was the best. I didn't feel a thing, was awake the whole time, and was able to walk out on my own, fully alert. Tell the Uro you want a nerve block -- it's your decision to make.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
(male)

tangerine dream HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by holler1 View Post
I've also had two prostate biopsies. I would say there is a little pain, more of a little dull pain than anything else. The anticipation of pain was the worst part. Just try to focus on something else. It doesn't last very long. I don't know if some doctors will give anesthesia or not - it was not offered to me.

For the colonoscopy, I was given something that completely wiped out my memory of the procedure. I was told I was semiconscious, but I didn't remember a thing.
thankyou for letting me no regards paul

Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
(male)

tangerine dream HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Allen View Post
I fainted the first time I had a biopsy and the Uro shot me with those 18 gauge biopsy needles. It hurt like a mofo! On my second biopsy, I was put under and was drowsy all day. The third time, at a better hospital, the Uro numbed the area with a lidocaine numbing cream, then a nerve block -- that was the best. I didn't feel a thing, was awake the whole time, and was able to walk out on my own, fully alert. Tell the Uro you want a nerve block -- it's your decision to make.
thankyou for letting me no regards paul

Old 09-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
(male)

mrmike2009 HB User

I am not sure what type of proceedure Tall Allen had but my experience is much like the others. It was a little uncomfortable but not bad. Like you, I was thinking I could have my colonoscopy and prostate biopsy at the same time. No such luck. First, it is two different people (at least in my case) and I think one is a "dirty" proceedure while the other is a bit more "clean". Again, in my case with the prostate test they had me take a very high dose of anti-biotic for 3-4 days before as they want to protect against any sort of infection. I assume if you have a colonoscopy at the same time the risk of infection woudl be much higher .... I am sure I do not need to explain the proceedure!

I also had it done twice. You should be aware that the prostate is extremely small and the biopsy is sort of a hit or miss proceedure. They typically take multipel samples from both sides and will get samples from the top, middle and bottom of each side. They also took 2 samples from each each site. This amounted to 12 "sticks". For me it was like a pinch and mothing more. It is done through the rectum and that is where it is a bit ... may I say uncomfortable.

I had to have my test repeated (as one of the previous posters did). The first time the results were negative fro CA but it did report what is called High Grade PIN. This is a report of abnormal cells that like the PSA is inconclusive but is an indicator there might be a problem. They wait a couple of months before repeating to make sure all the swelling goes does down. The second biopsy found the CA but for me it was only in 1 of the 12 cores and in only 10% of the sample. They will also grade the CA on a gleason scale.

I hope your test is negative. If you need additional information or you find there are more steps - come back and ask more questions. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
(male)

tangerine dream HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike2009 View Post
I am not sure what type of proceedure Tall Allen had but my experience is much like the others. It was a little uncomfortable but not bad. Like you, I was thinking I could have my colonoscopy and prostate biopsy at the same time. No such luck. First, it is two different people (at least in my case) and I think one is a "dirty" proceedure while the other is a bit more "clean". Again, in my case with the prostate test they had me take a very high dose of anti-biotic for 3-4 days before as they want to protect against any sort of infection. I assume if you have a colonoscopy at the same time the risk of infection woudl be much higher .... I am sure I do not need to explain the proceedure!

I also had it done twice. You should be aware that the prostate is extremely small and the biopsy is sort of a hit or miss proceedure. They typically take multipel samples from both sides and will get samples from the top, middle and bottom of each side. They also took 2 samples from each each site. This amounted to 12 "sticks". For me it was like a pinch and mothing more. It is done through the rectum and that is where it is a bit ... may I say uncomfortable.

I had to have my test repeated (as one of the previous posters did). The first time the results were negative fro CA but it did report what is called High Grade PIN. This is a report of abnormal cells that like the PSA is inconclusive but is an indicator there might be a problem. They wait a couple of months before repeating to make sure all the swelling goes does down. The second biopsy found the CA but for me it was only in 1 of the 12 cores and in only 10% of the sample. They will also grade the CA on a gleason scale.

I hope your test is negative. If you need additional information or you find there are more steps - come back and ask more questions. Good luck.
hi i have a large prostate gland which is pressing on my bladder thats why i must have a prostate biospy not looking forward to it or the colonoscopy being a baby when it comes to pain thankyou for letting me to what expect on the day regards paul

Old 09-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User

For the colonoscopy, a combination of Versed (midazolam) and an opioid (like Demerol or Fentanyl) is commonly used. The best though, if you can talk your doctor into it, is propofol. Its effects wear off in minutes rather than hours, so there is no residual drowsiness and you are fully alert the rest of the day. It does require an anaesthesiologist to be present during the whole procedure, so it is more expensive. Great stuff if you can get it -- ask Michael Jackson! ;-)

Old 09-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #15
(male)

Stevotui HB User

Hi,

My biopsy was done under General anaesthetic. There was a little discomfort for a few days after when I was peeing, a little sting but I think this was down to an infection. All in all its worth it to put your mind at rest.

good Luck.

Closed Thread