It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
(male)

alibabba HB User
Friend with rapidly rising PSA

Hi all,
I met a gentleman today and we happened to get on the subject of PC. He told me that he was diagnosed with PC in the early part of this year and had surgery in March. His Gleason was 8 and psa was 14 before surgery. His psa remained up, I did not find out how high, and he underwent SRT. His psa 6 weeks ago was 3 and now it is just under 6.
This sound like a 6 week psadt or am I figuring this wrong? He is feeling great and has a great outlook. He is using the same practice I used, different doc's though, and had the same Rad Doc. I thought some of you more experienced guys might have some insight. I asked him if he had heard of Dr. Myers.

BTW I just had a 6 month PSA after completing SRT in January and it came back <0.04 for the 2nd time.

Thanks
David

Last edited by alibabba; 12-08-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: Friend with rapidly rising PSA

Hi David,

Congratulations on that awesome six months result of <0.04 after RT! That should make you feel great about paying your dues up front!

I have a couple of thoughts about the case of the man you met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibabba View Post
Hi all,
I met a gentleman today and we happened to get on the subject of PC. He told me that he was diagnosed with PC in the early part of this year and had surgery in March. His Gleason was 8 and psa was 14 before surgery.

I wonder why he chose surgery. Did he say? With those numbers, the odds that surgery would be curative were not high.

His psa remained up, I did not find out how high, and he underwent SRT. His psa 6 weeks ago was 3 and now it is just under 6.
This sound like a 6 week psadt or am I figuring this wrong?

It's possible he is experiencing a post radiation bounce, but my layman's impression is that he probably needs further therapy, specifically hormonal blockade therapy. If bounce is not affecting his PSA, then that doubling time might be as short as 6 weeks.

... I asked him if he had heard of Dr. Myers.

I hope he does contact him or one of the other experts who handle challenging cases.

BTW I just had a 6 month PSA after completing SRT in January and it came back <0.04 for the 2nd time.

Thanks
David

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2009, 04:28 AM   #3
(male)

alibabba HB User
Re: Friend with rapidly rising PSA

Hi Jim,

I asked him yesterday what his post surgery numbers were and he said they were 1.55. I also thought with those post biopsy readings that surgery would not be curative. He said the doc told him that the numbers were high but he might be able to get good results. Evidently the DRE and biopsy did not indicate any escape other than the high numbers.

This guy is 67 but he is in excellent shape. I am in the construction field and he is doing some drywall work for me. He is very health conscious as he takes a lot of supplements, exercises daily.I think he has an appointment with the Uro tomorrow and will probably get an injection.

Jim I appreciate your reply and am glad you are still doing well with everything. I don't do alot of postings but I check in a couple of times a week to check on everyone!

Thanks,

David

Closed Thread