It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
(female)

greentealemon HB User
Question PSA 2000 down to 287...

My father was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer, no cure available only able to slow it down almost exactly a year ago (May 2009) at the age of 56, almost 57. PSA had been checked previously 2 years earlier and no sign, so very aggressive cancer.

A year ago he had PSA 900 and they tried to slow it down with hormone therapy which didn't work and it rose to PSA 1900 (7 months on). Obviously due to the aggressive nature of the cancer it spread to his bones causing metastities. He then had surgery on his spine to remove a more dangerous tumour, which went fantastically and is not an issue now. After this in november 09 he has been having chemo, docetaxel. He has had stints of radiotherapy on this back for pain also. (post surgery and once otherwise)

Between chemo treatments 1-8 PSA level went from 2000 to 287 (!!) now at treatment 9 of the cycle of chemo it has stabalised and is at the same. This is the first post treatment result with no change. He will have one more treatment and then have a break. His hemoglobin level is still fine and he has not had to have a blood transfusion. He still works 4 days a week, and leads quite a busy lifestyle.

I am really curious about whether anyones family/you etc were in this situation with cancer this aggressive and wondered how things have gone. All the numbers I look at are high but not this high, so hard to find things that fit in this situation. Obviously the PSA level is still insanely high. He does not want to know how long he has left etc. and is yet to be told about future treatments... another chemo cycle/clinical trial.

Big thankyou to everyone for their time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
(female)

Hope4him HB User
Re: PSA 2000 down to 287...

Your dads case sounds a lot like my husbands. In 2006 at 57, he had radical prostatectomy followed with triple hormone blockade and that worked for about 3 years. Then he did the chemo treatments which worked for two years. Psa started rising again and is now at 650. He has bone metastasis especially in left hip and knee which he has had radiation for. We just learned today as soon as his oncologist can get Cabizetaxol which has just recently been FDA approved, we will start that. I will let you know more about that when we do. Keep the faith!

Old 07-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: PSA 2000 down to 287...

Hi greentealemon,

I must have overlooked your post earlier and just noticed it today in the response from Hope4him. I'll insert a comment in green below this question in your post #1.

I am curious about the hormone treatments that did not work. It's possible there is a hormonal regimen that would work but that was not tried, something that happens fairly often. For instance, were tests run for testosterone and DHT (at least) to make sure the drugs were being delivered and metabolized effectively? We could discuss this if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentealemon View Post
...I am really curious about whether anyones family/you etc were in this situation with cancer this aggressive and wondered how things have gone. All the numbers I look at are high but not this high, so hard to find things that fit in this situation. Obviously the PSA level is still insanely high. He does not want to know how long he has left etc. and is yet to be told about future treatments... another chemo cycle/clinical trial.

Big thankyou to everyone for their time.
There are a number of medical oncologists in the country who specialize in prostate cancer, and they see many patients with very advanced cases. One of them has written a book that has a lot to say to patients with advanced cases. You may know of him alread, Dr. Charles "Snuffy" Myers, MD. The book is "Beating Prostate Cancer: Hormonal Therapy & Diet."

While Dr. Myers focuses on the elements in the title, he also identifies other key approaches that have worked for men with very advanced cases (e.g., Leukine). He includes several case histories of men with PSAs in the thousands who did well or are still doing well. "Patient AP", for instance, had a PSA of 3,488 and was able to get it to drop to <0.01. "Patient BK" had a PSA of 3,656. As the book went to press, his PSA was stable at about 2.0. Dr. Myers concluded the pages on his case with this comment. "... I find it astounding that six years after presenting with a PSA of greater than 3,000 ng/ml and kidney failure, the only cancer we can detect is limited to the prostate gland and he is living a normal life...."

Obviously these are individual cases, and many men with such challenges will not do as well. However, knowledge is continually improving, and more such "miracles" are happening. I hope your father and Hope4him's husband will both experience one.

Take care,

Jim

Closed Thread