HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Prostate (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-prostate/)
-   -   Is ProstRcision the same as Brachy? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-prostate/751616-prostrcision-same-brachy.html)

wirebender 05-31-2010 04:30 PM

Is ProstRcision the same as Brachy?

I am scheduled is see the Urologist next week for testing high on my PSA and have been doing alot of research on differant treatments in the event that I am invited into the PC Club. Has anyone heard of the ProstRcision, and do you know if it the same as Brachy? Looks the same to me but not sure.

Mark

mickey81 05-31-2010 09:04 PM

Re: Is ProstRcision the same as Brachy?

Wirebender,
It is the same. I have 2 friends that went to Georgia and got the seeds and then
took 7 wks imrt.
I wanted to go to Prost, but they were not in my net work on the insurance.
Cost 104,000.

IADT3since2000 05-31-2010 09:19 PM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Hi again,

You asked in your initial post:[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=wirebender;4256658]... Has anyone heard of the ProstRcision, and do you know if it the same as Brachy? Looks the same to me but not sure.

Mark[/QUOTE]

Actually, it is not the same, though brachy is part of the ProstRcision treatment. Mickey had it right when he described the combination. RCOG has been considered a leading center, but I'm concerned that they have not published their recent results (perhaps half a dozen years or more) in a respected, peer-reviewed medical journal. :confused:

They have a unique approach: seeds first, then IMRT that bounces some radiation off the implanted seeds.

Dr. Dattoli in Florida, a widely recognized leader in IMRT and seeds, does the IMRT first and then the seeds.

Both claim to have the superior method, but Dr. Dattoli has impressive published papers that include his fairly recent work. To me, that gives him a big lead over RCOG. By the way, Dr. Dattoli has co-published brachytherapy texts with the Seattle group (Grimm, Sylvester, and until recently, Dr. Blasko).

Does anyone know why RCOG still has not updated their results?

Take care,

Jim

Johnt1 06-01-2010 08:22 AM

There have been a lot of arguments about which is better, seeds first or seeds later. After doing some research and asking a lot of professionals, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter; radiation is all about dose and accurracy and both work methods work equally well. I think the seeds first or later is a marketing gimmick to differentiate one's service more than for effectiveness. Both ROCG and Dattolli are reputable centers, but I if I had a choice I would go to Dattolli.
JohnT

wirebender 06-01-2010 09:59 AM

Thanks again guys. The members on this site ( and others ) have been such a huge help to me. There is so much to learn and a short time to do it in and it can be overwhelming. The ProsRcision is quit a ways away from us but the Prostrate cancer treatment center is only 100 miles away, and it sounds like Grimm and Sylvester or on top of their game in this field.

Thanks again
Mark

lawyer83 06-03-2010 05:50 PM

I heard about ProstRcision and Brachytherapy when I was doing research about three years ago, when I was looking for the best treatment option for me. ProstRcision is not the same as Brachytherapy. Brachytherapy is a type radiation treatment where tiny radioactive seeds are implanted in the prostate through a surgical procedure. The hope is that the seeds can be implanted precisely into the prostate where the cancer cells are located.

ProstRcision combines two separate radiation treatments. First, radioactive seeds are implanted into the prostate gland that delivers radiation for several months. Second, three weeks after the iodine seed implant, conformal beam radiation is delivered to the implanted prostate and the seminal vesicle. Third, conformal beam and seed radiation are given at the same time, which intensifies the radiation inside the prostate where almost all the cancer cells are located. Fourth, ProstRcision also treats the microscopic penetration of cancer cells located outside the prostate capsule and left untreated by the seeds. However they are treated by the conformal beam radiation, which irradiates all around the prostate.

Finally, ProstRcision addresses the possibility of microscopic penetration of any cancer cells which escape the prostate gland. I wish you well in your research.

Lawyer83

zzyzzy 10-23-2010 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=wirebender;4256658]I am scheduled is see the Urologist next week for testing high on my PSA and have been doing alot of research on differant treatments in the event that I am invited into the PC Club. Has anyone heard of the ProstRcision, and do you know if it the same as Brachy? Looks the same to me but not sure.

Mark[/QUOTE]
Prosrcision is nothing but a COMBINATION of Brachytherapy (seeds implanted in the prostate through needles placed in the space between the legs) and eXternal radiation therapy. It is NO DIFFERENT than the same combination of treatments offered at any good radiation therapy center, but it is MARKETED heavily (take the hint) and charged accordingly.

Tall Allen 10-23-2010 05:34 PM

I was wondering if HDR brachy was an option for you. It may not be if there is fear that the cancer has spread beyond the prostate and pelvic irradiation is needed.

I've been impressed by all the studies I've been reading lately about HDR brachy that shows a higher cure rate with fewer long term side effects. It seems established now that prostate cancer cells are unique in that they have a low "alpha/beta ratio." All that means is they are killed with less chance of recovery by just a few high doses (this is called "hypofractionation"), as opposed to a prolonged lower dose, such as one gets from LDR brachy (seeds) or IMRT.

The success of HDR brachy was the model behind the popular CyberKnife treatment for PCa. HDR brachy usually involves a one-day hospital stay with no recovery time needed. Because nothing is left inside, surrounding structures receive very little radiation and toxicity is lower. Thank God, we have so many options available to us these days.

mickey81 10-24-2010 06:43 AM

[QUOTE=Tall Allen;4609491]I was wondering if HDR brachy was an option for you. It may not be if there is fear that the cancer has spread beyond the prostate and pelvic irradiation is needed.

I've been impressed by all the studies I've been reading lately about HDR brachy that shows a higher cure rate with fewer long term side effects. It seems established now that prostate cancer cells are unique in that they have a low "alpha/beta ratio." All that means is they are killed with less chance of recovery by just a few high doses (this is called "hypofractionation"), as opposed to a prolonged lower dose, such as one gets from LDR brachy (seeds) or IMRT.

The success of HDR brachy was the model behind the popular CyberKnife treatment for PCa. HDR brachy usually involves a one-day hospital stay with no recovery time needed. Because nothing is left inside, surrounding structures receive very little radiation and toxicity is lower. Thank God, we have so many options available to us these days.[/QUOTE]

mickey81 10-24-2010 07:08 AM

[QUOTE=mickey81;4609727][/QUOTE]

I was told by radiation doctor that HDR can have bad side effects. I wanted to have Brachy, but my pelvic was to pointed. You need to have a flat pelvic for best results. Rad doctor said 70gy would kill cancer. I finally
decided on IMRT, which takes 9wks, and delivers around 81gy to 86gy.
I liked the dosage levels on IMRT. I finished in July 10, Have no side effects
and feel great. The system I used had 7 fields with acculoc guided delivery.
First PSA was in Aug. 17th. PSA came back .1, get rechecked in Dec.
The treatments lasted about 10-15 minutes. No pain, No nothing. Also had
very little area of colon exposed to rad. Have 2 friends that used ProstRicision, which I looked into, Both of them doing great. One*s PSA after
5 years in undetectable. ProstRicision was not in my insurance net work. Cost for Prost was $104,000. IMRT cost was around $75,000. At Prost you get seeds first, wait 3 weeks, then get 7 weeks of IMRT. I believe 9 weeks
equals the same dosage of the Prost treatments. I also had the the advantage of living about 10 miles from the treatment center.Good luck on your choice of treatment.