It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 04:41 AM   #1
(female)

CQRCCL HB User
How fast does advanced Prostate Cancer spread?

My Dad Has advanced prostate cancer that has spread to his brain. He is 76 years young.

Dad bad the brain tumor removed on 5/14. It was a high grade cancer tumor. During the hospital stay they found that he has prostate cancer and that the brain tumor traveled from the the prostate.

I have read everywhere that it is very rare for prostate cancer to travel to the brain. The hospital also checked his lungs/bones/kidney and all other vital organs and all were fine.

He stayed in the hospital for 4 days then 8 days of rehab. After a week at home he started to cough alot and have some chest pain. We rushed him to the hospital on Friday and they discovered blood clots in his legs and two clots had traveled to his lungs. He had a filler put in Tuesday to prevent future blood clots to travel to the lungs and is on medication. He seems to be better now.

Monday we have an appointment with an oncologist he needs to start radiation on his head.

He went to the Urologist last week and he did not do a Biopsy because he said there is no need to. His PSA is 25.

I'm so sad and depressed and break down in tears a few times a day.
Don't know what to expect at this point.

How long could it be for the prostate cancer to spread to the bones or perhaps another brain tumor to return?

Dad also urinates ALOT. During the evening he does not make it to the bathroom or just urinates in bed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User
Re: How fast does advanced Prostate Cancer spread?

I'm so very sorry to hear about your Dad. I know you love him very much.
Your question is one that only his doctors can guesstimate. Every case is so different
that it would be unfair to you to give you a number of months or years.
I would mention the issue with urinating. I know men who have had a rather portable
catheter inserted and then this is something that can be dealt with, with far more dignity.

Sue

Old 06-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: How fast does advanced Prostate Cancer spread?

Hi CQRCCL,

Welcome to the board! As a prostate cancer patient, it's always good to hear that sons and daughters are there to support their dads! I've read Braveheart226's good advice, and I'll add some comments in green to an excerpt from your initial post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQRCCL View Post
My Dad Has advanced prostate cancer that has spread to his brain. He is 76 years young.

... During the hospital stay they found that he has prostate cancer and that the brain tumor traveled from the the prostate.

I have read everywhere that it is very rare for prostate cancer to travel to the brain. The hospital also checked his lungs/bones/kidney and all other vital organs and all were fine.

That helps.

Monday we have an appointment with an oncologist he needs to start radiation on his head.

He went to the Urologist last week and he did not do a Biopsy because he said there is no need to. His PSA is 25.

I'm so sad and depressed and break down in tears a few times a day.
Don't know what to expect at this point.

Your reaction is certainly normal, but there is reason for optimism.

How long could it be for the prostate cancer to spread to the bones or perhaps another brain tumor to return?

Here's the deal. If your dad just sits at ground zero for prostate cancer and does nothing, chances are that he will not live very long. On the other hand, it is quite likely that he will see great benefit if he is treated with systemic therapy - meaning therapy that can reach all through his body. Since he has not yet been on hormonal therapy, that's what is now appropriate as I understand it as a layman. At this point, in effect, your dad has not yet begun to fight. When he does, the cancer is going to be back on its heels and begging for mercy!

I'm a layman with no enrolled medical education, but I'm in my eleventh year of intermittent triple hormonal blockade in dealing with my own challenging case of prostate cancer. The cancer is under excellent control, and I'm doing well. The expert medical oncologists I follow would recommend an aggressive form of hormonal blockade, most likely triple blockade. In effect, that will cut off fuels to the cancer cells. Many of them will die or at least shrink and go dormant. Hormonal blockade has the potential to eliminate or at least decrease existing metastases!

Dad also urinates ALOT. During the evening he does not make it to the bathroom or just urinates in bed.

Hormonal blockade therapy will also greatly shrink the prostate itself, and that has a good chance of taking care of the urination difficulties.

There are side effects, and it is important that a patient become educated about them and take countermeasures, such as exercise (aerobic and strength - suitable for the patient's age), nutrition/diet/and supplements, a bisphosphonate drug for bone density if needed (very likely in your dad's case) with associated calcium and quality vitamin D3 supplements plus confirmational 25 hydroxy vitamin D testing, perhaps a statin drug to help protect his cardiovascular system if advised by a doctor, etc.

I strongly recommend your family look at the long and expert section on hormonal blockade in the outstanding book "A Primer on Prostate Cancer - The Empowered Patient's Guide," Dr. Stephen B. Strum, MD, and Donna Pogliano, 2005. I also cannot recommend highly enough the book by Dr. Charles "Snuffy" Myers, MD, "Beating Prostate Cancer: Hormonal Therapy & Diet." Among other things, Dr. Myers starts his book off with a heaping dose of optimism, which is what your family and your dad need at this time. With proper care and a little luck, your dad has a good chance of not succumbing to prostate cancer.

Hang in there and keep your spirits up.

Take care,

Jim

Old 10-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
(male)

damonstanley HB User
Exclamation Re: How fast does advanced Prostate Cancer spread?

My husband had prostate rad. in '03--in 2010 many lymph nodes showed it was his prostate, again. Lupron shots were started and continued until August 2011 when he began having seizures. Three brain tumors were found and the 2 large ones removed.He then had cyberknife on all three. This was last week.Now his cough is so hard it's almost a choke.There is a large mass in his chest which must be treated immediately.His PSA is 0 but the disease is very agressive.We will not give up and keep our faith strong.May God bless each of you who are facing this beast. Suz

Closed Thread