It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
(female)

Hope4him HB User
6 years later

Chemo no longer working. Psa over 600. Next step Cabizetaxol. Anyone familiar with that?

Old 01-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
(male)

Canus Lupis HB User
Re: 6 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4him View Post
Chemo no longer working. Psa over 600. Next step Cabizetaxol. Anyone familiar with that?
After 7 doses of Taxotere, I just switched to Cabazitaxel. No difference to me. I've tolerated my chemo treatments very well. Diagnosed with metastatic PC in June 2008. Currently in hormone treatment and now chemo, after several clinical trials stopped working. My PSA has continued to rise. Now up to 156. Haven't been checked since my Cabazitaxel infusion. Maybe its the magic elixer to get PSA heading in the other direction.

GOOD LUCK!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #3
(female)

Hope4him HB User

It's been awhile since I've posted but was glad to hear from you. Our latest dellema is that the cabasataxol quit working. After initial dose, psa dropped from 876 to 420 and continued dropping during the next 4 doses. Then right before holidays psa started creeping up again and blood in urine. When psa reached 267 and scans showed new cancer spots on spine and bladder, Dr. decided to quit cabasataxol. BUT we are not discouraged. My husband, David, was accepted for a clinical trial of a new drug, Abiraterone. They are having amazing results with men who have advanced prostate cancer and other treatments have failed. We hope to start it in February. Another new drug I've heard about is MDX-010. Our oncologist said it's only been approved for melanoma but I've read otherwise. I've read miraculous articles about this one too. Thank you, Canus Lupis, for your reply. I do hope the exlir will get you going back in the right direction but it's exciting to know there are new drugs out there when one drug fails. I will include you in my prayers!

The following user gives a hug of support to Hope4him:
Baptista (02-03-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi to Hope4him and Canus Lupis,

Your experiences with chemo are beyond what I've experienced or know much about, but I wanted to touch a couple of important bases.

I'm sure you were both on hormonal therapy until it failed to control the cancer, but I'm wondering if you both were on triple blockade, and if so, if second line hormonal blockade was used? How was failure assessed for primary hormonal blockade? Were testosterone levels below 20? Were DHT levels measured? Were you on Zometa for bone density and countering bone mets?

I'm asking because I'm concerned that the potential of hormonal blockade might not have been fully exploited. If that's true, it might still be useful at this time.

The other point is whether you have read Dr. Myers' book "Beating Prostate Cancer: Hormonal Therapy & Diet"? He describes a number of tactics for dealing with very advanced prostate cancer.

When you wrote MDX-010, did you mean MDV 3100? Maybe it's the same thing with a more evolved designation. Trials are looking good, but I'm not clear whether it would fit your situations.

Here's hoping that something turns up that works.

Take care,

Jim

The following user gives a hug of support to IADT3since2000:
Hope4him (02-02-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to IADT3since2000 For This Useful Post:
Hope4him (02-02-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
(female)

Hope4him HB User

Dearest Jim, I know you get this a lot but you are such an incredible guy! Your knowledge, support, time you take to read and respond to all of these threads, the hope you give us and most of all the passion you have for fighting this horrible cancer. is just..... awesome. THANK YOU!! I'm going to copy the questions you've asked me to take with us to Oncologist on Friday. I do know that a few years back when we asked about Zometa, we were told that was not an option because of the cancer activity in David's kidneys. Today was suppose to be the day we were to go to Mobile (Southern Cancer Institute) to start the new drug Abiraterone. Last Friday David received a phone call canceling his appointment because of an embolism found last year in his aorta. He takes coumadin for that and even though it has shrunk to almost nothing, it's still there and that was the reason they gave for not accepting David in this trial. They said it should be FDA approved in April and he could try again then but why would we want to try it then if it's not a good thing now? It's been a month now without any kind of chemo or cancer drugs but a lot of pain killers. Radiation helped BIG time in his hip but now he hurts all over and is suppose to start Novatron Friday. I'll let you know the answers to your questions after Friday. Again, THANK YOU for all you do for this web-site!

Old 02-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi again Hope4him,

Thank you so much for your uplifting words! Responses like yours keep me going strong! I can answer one of your questions at least from your immediately preceding post.

Quote:
... Today was suppose to be the day we were to go to Mobile (Southern Cancer Institute) to start the new drug Abiraterone. Last Friday David received a phone call canceling his appointment because of an embolism found last year in his aorta. He takes coumadin for that and even though it has shrunk to almost nothing, it's still there and that was the reason they gave for not accepting David in this trial. They said it should be FDA approved in April and he could try again then but why would we want to try it then if it's not a good thing now?
The trial doctors most likely also feel there is now no risk, based on their recommendation, but clinical trial rules for eligibility and exclusion are strict. Therefore, there is probably no leeway in the trial rules to include a patient with an embolism that is under excellent control. However, the trial doctors apparently think the guidance to doctors for the drug after approval will allow enough leeway to cover your husband's case.

Quote:
It's been a month now without any kind of chemo or cancer drugs but a lot of pain killers. Radiation helped BIG time in his hip but now he hurts all over and is suppose to start Novatron Friday.
I'm surprised he is not on any hormonal blockade, unless he had an orchiectomy, which would provide continuous blockade of testicular testosterone. Usually blockade is continued along with chemo as it still can control much of the cancer, just not all of it. Blockade often results in rapid relief for bone pain if the cancer still responds to blockade.

We don't have many posts regarding patients in your husband's situation, combating bone pain with drugs like Novatron when hormonal therapy seems to have failed. I hope you will keep posting about his experiences. I hope even more that you and he will find away to remove the cause of the pain.

Quote:
I'll let you know the answers to your questions after Friday. Again, THANK YOU for all you do for this web-site!
You're welcome, and I'm eager to read those answers.

Take care,

Jim

Old 02-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Baptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB User

Quote:
Dearest Jim, I know you get this a lot but you are such an incredible guy! Your knowledge, support, time you take to read and respond to all of these threads, the hope you give us and most of all the passion you have for fighting this horrible cancer. is just..... awesome. THANK YOU!! I'm going to copy the questions you've asked me to take with us to Oncologist on Friday. I do know that a few years back when we asked about Zometa, we were told that was not an option because of the cancer activity in David's kidneys. Today was suppose to be the day we were to go to Mobile (Southern Cancer Institute) to start the new drug Abiraterone. Last Friday David received a phone call canceling his appointment because of an embolism found last year in his aorta. He takes coumadin for that and even though it has shrunk to almost nothing, it's still there and that was the reason they gave for not accepting David in this trial. They said it should be FDA approved in April and he could try again then but why would we want to try it then if it's not a good thing now? It's been a month now without any kind of chemo or cancer drugs but a lot of pain killers. Radiation helped BIG time in his hip but now he hurts all over and is suppose to start Novatron Friday. I'll let you know the answers to your questions after Friday. Again, THANK YOU for all you do for this web-site!
Hi Hope4him

I have been following developments with the drug Abiraterone acetate and read about the trials now underway in several places in the USA, accepting participants before the drug gets FDA approval. The offices of some famous oncologists such as Dr. Mark Scholz are also involved in the trials so that you may try calling them to get your husband in their list or at an indicated place (maybe Johnson & Johnson).

The drug seems to be very reliable and in the results from phase III have shown improved survival rates in men that do not responded anymore to chemotherapy. The side effects seem to be lower and less toxic than Ketoconazole which was the drug that I have been researching when found Abiraterone. I may use it too in some years from now.

I wish you and your husband success.
Baptista

The following user gives a hug of support to Baptista:
Hope4him (02-03-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Baptista For This Useful Post:
Hope4him (02-03-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
(female)

Hope4him HB User

Hello Baptista! I was so happy to hear from you this morning. You, like Jim, give so much hope to people like me. Tomorrow is my husband's (David), 63 birthday. He was 56 when our lives took that dramatic change We will spend most of it at the Hederman Cancer Center. After tests on his heart, we will start on Novatron, a drug commonly used for MS. This will hopefully give him relief from a lot of the pain he's been having. Jim gave me some great questions to ask his Oncologist. I can't wait to have them answered and will reply back as to what we find out. THANK YOU so much for your info. on Abiraterone. It is Johnson & Johnson that has the trial in Mobile that we were to participate in. I believe there is a reason God closed that door and look hopefully to a new one. Maybe in April!!
THANK YOU again and the BEST to you too!!!
Hope4him

Closed Thread