It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
(male)

jnordbe HB User
High PSA

I'm new to this blog thing but here it goes. My PSA no. has steadliy risen the past few years. A year ago it was a 5. and I had a biopsy done and it showed no cancer. Last month I had a PSA reading of 8. The doctor put me on ciprofloxacin for infection. Is it possible that there is infectio in the prostate and not cancer?
John

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
(male)

viperfred HB User
Re: High PSA

Hi jnordbe,

An infection can cause a rise in PSA. Your age is an important to know with you PSA. However an increase in PSA of .75 ng/ml in men over 50 is an indicator of PCa. A biopsy can be misleading depending on the person doing the test, the technology used and number of cores. The latest ultrasound, for guiding the sample needles, is the latest tool and 12 cores are typical today. But there is still a 40% chance of a false negative.

Hope the antibiotic drops your PSA.

Last edited by viperfred; 07-20-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: correct spelling error

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
(male)

Netirati HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnordbe View Post
I'm new to this blog thing but here it goes. My PSA no. has steadliy risen the past few years. A year ago it was a 5. and I had a biopsy done and it showed no cancer. Last month I had a PSA reading of 8. The doctor put me on ciprofloxacin for infection. Is it possible that there is infectio in the prostate and not cancer?
John
It is possible if your high PSA is caused by inflammation or infection. Usually the urologist will order another PSA test after 3 weeks of Cipro. My PSA did not come down. I am looking at repeat biopsy (24 cores).I will be under anesthesia during the procedure. Good luck to you and me.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
(male)

Mr.M HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnordbe View Post
John

Anything is possible. My father has had high PSA readings all his life. His prostate is enlarged and the readings seem to get higher every few years. But, after several biopsies, they've never found PC. The last reading was in excess of 20 - he's in his late 70's - and he just had another biopsy that came back negative. So, don't worry until you know the facts.

Closed Thread