It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
(male)

Al BIGDOG HB User
joint pain all over

I was recently diagnosed with contained prostate cancer with gleason score of 7 psa of 5.8,and starting 3 days ago all my joints have been hurting me is this a sign of cancer spreading to joints?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
(male)

Vuk HB User
Re: joint pain all over

Well you can never know before you do the tests. But if the pain started only 3 days ago it is possible that it is from anxiety because anxiety can worsen symptoms. Stay with your doctor and all the best.

Last edited by Vuk; 09-06-2010 at 07:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
(male)

dale2035 HB User

Hi, Al,
I hope that the pain in the joints has lessened. Ask your doctor about it. If he has not diagnosed and treated a joint disorder problem, your new symptoms might help his give you some relief.
It seems to me that it is difficult to get a 100% assurance that cancer has not spread to remote areas. Maybe the apprehension is lessened when we get as much information about what we do know and what implicatioins that has for an optimum treatment choice. Talk to your doctor and do some reading about your specifics. He will describe options and maybe guide you to give stronger consideration to the one or two he regards as best. What was your Gleason? 3+4 or 4+3? How many cores were taken? How many had cancer? What percentage in each? Did the doctor give you a staging rating? Did the pathologist indicate the basis for his considering cancer organ contained? Did he or your doctor give a Partin table estimate of the chances that cancer has not spread? That is only an estimate, but it may help reduce the apprehension when your joints are aching. Good luck. You can find a lot of help on this board from men who have confronted problems and aches and fear comparable to yours.
Dale

Old 09-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User

When prostate cancer spreads to bones, it usually hits the lower back, hips, and thighs first. It tends to spread first to bones and lymph nodes closer to the prostate. The fact that it's suddenly in ALL your joints, and joints only, pretty much precludes PCa as the cause. It might be a lot of other things, however. If it were me, I'd take some ibuprofen and call the doc if it doesn't go away.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi Al,

Welcome to the board!

I've read the responses to date and the good thoughts in them. Here's another thought in response to your initial post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al BIGDOG View Post
I was recently diagnosed with contained prostate cancer with gleason score of 7 psa of 5.8,and starting 3 days ago all my joints have been hurting me is this a sign of cancer spreading to joints?
The fact that the soreness or pain is so widespread is a pretty good indication, it seems to me, that prostate cancer is not the cause. It doesn't just suddenly spread and flare up in a broadcast fashion like that. I'm a layman with no enrolled medical education, but I've been paying attention to the disease for over ten years and have not heard what you are describing that is due to prostate cancer. I suppose that PC as a cause is possible, but it seems quite unlikely.

However, if your doctor started you on an LHRH-agonist class of drug (such as Lupron, Zoladex, Viadur, etc.) to knock the cancer back, that could cause the widespread joint soreness you are describing. The degree varies among patients, and it does resolve in time for most of us, but it can be irritating.

Stress, mentioned previously, could be the explanation.

Take care,

Jim

Closed Thread