It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
(female)

PAgrandma HB User
Night Sweats information

I am the caregiver for my 79 year old husband who was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer.

After experiencing night sweats he feels better and less tired. Can anyone give us an explanation or site where I may find more information?

Thanks,
Joyce

The following user gives a hug of support to PAgrandma:
IADT3since2000 (10-25-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: Night Sweats information

Hi Joyce,

Welcome to the board!

Is your husband on hormonal blockade therapy? That's the only therapy I know of that is associated with hot flashes and sweats, often during the day and night. I've been on intermittent hormonal therapy for nearly eleven years now, and the flashes and sweats have nearly disappeared as I approach the seventh month off the heavy-duty drugs, eleven months after my last four month shot.

There is an outstanding non-profit organization known as the Prostate Cancer Research Institute (PCRI). It has published resources for patients, papers on prostate cancer, and a newsletter, with back copies available. You will find an abundance of information about prostate cancer, treatment decision making, side effects, and how to cope with it all.

There are also some outstanding books available.

I hope this helps.

Jim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
(female)

PAgrandma HB User

Jim,
Thanks for your reply. I have read many of your posts over the past few weeks and have much respect for your advice. If I'm remembering correctly your condition is similar to ours.

We purchased the book 'Invasion of the Prostate Snatchers' because John prefers reading (I'm the computer addict) but it does not appear to be very useful for someone with advanced stage PC.

I should have entered more information about my husbands condition.

John is 79
Last PSA 13
Prostate biopsy - 10/7 (4 +5) 9 Gleason score, plus lymph node involvement
Bone Scan - 10/18 OK
Double Firmagon injections - 10/19
Lymph Node Biopsy this morning - 10/25 (results expected in four days)

No major discomfort after the injections, just tired.

He's been experiencing night sweats recently... even before the hormone injections. After waking (changing clothes and sheets) he feels better and less tired. Any connection? Any way to 'bring on the sweats'.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Joyce

Old 10-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi again Joyce,

I'll put some thoughts in green after excerpts from your latest post.

Quote:
Jim,
Thanks for your reply. I have read many of your posts over the past few weeks and have much respect for your advice. If I'm remembering correctly your condition is similar to ours.
You're welcome - glad to help. Yes, I too am a patient with advanced prostate cancer, and intermittent hormonal therapy has been my only therapy for nearly eleven years now.

We purchased the book 'Invasion of the Prostate Snatchers' because John prefers reading (I'm the computer addict) but it does not appear to be very useful for someone with advanced stage PC.

"Invasion" offers some information that should be a great help, especially regarding side effects and how to counter them. Even though Firmagon is somewhat different from the Lupron I've been on in the way it sharply reduces testosterone, the reduction of testosterone has the potential to produce the same side effects, I believe. However, I recommend your husband also read "Beating Prostate Cancer: Hormonal Therapy & Diet", by Dr. Charles "Snuffy" Myers. That book is especially strong for patients with advanced PC and challenging aspects to their cases.

Dr. Myers also publishes a highly informative newsletter that is of great value in my opinion to those of us with challenging cases. Since your husband has been determined to have lymph node positive disease, he might especially be interested in the following back issue: Volume 9, #1, "Managing Lymph Node Metastases," published in April 2005. Here's one of his main points: "Even after lymph node metastases, the cancer remaining in the prostate gland is still the biggest threat to a patient's continued health." Among other points, he discusses metastases related to surgery, radiation, and hormonal therapy. He also discusses a situation where men with just a few positive nodes can be very successful if those nodes are targeted with radiation or surgery. Volume 8 #12, published earlier, discusses staging lymph node prostate cancer.

I should have entered more information about my husbands condition.

John is 79
Last PSA 13
Prostate biopsy - 10/7 (4 +5) 9 Gleason score, plus lymph node involvement
Bone Scan - 10/18 OK
Double Firmagon injections - 10/19
Lymph Node Biopsy this morning - 10/25 (results expected in four days)

No major discomfort after the injections, just tired.

Exercise (aerobic and strength) is very important to having the best outcome while on hormonal therapy. That may be hard for a 79 year old, but it can be done. The trick is to increase gradually, without pain - soreness is okay, unless already at a high level.

He's been experiencing night sweats recently... even before the hormone injections. After waking (changing clothes and sheets) he feels better and less tired. Any connection? Any way to 'bring on the sweats'.

Your report is the first I've heard of someone who benefits from the sweats and flashes at night, but go for it if it helps! When I'm in a therapy "on" phase of intermittent therapy, I use a bedroom standing fan at night to make the sweats and flashes less likely, less intense and shorter, and I use lighter blankets. Using heavier blankets should do the reverse, helping to bring on the sweats.

Quote:
Any advice would be appreciated.
Joyce
I hope this helps.

Take care,

Jim

Old 10-26-2010, 03:04 AM   #5
(female)

PAgrandma HB User

Thanks for response, Jim. Will follow your suggestions.
I'm sure there will be more questions from me in the days ahead....look forward to you 'being there'.

Joyce

Old 10-27-2010, 02:44 AM   #6
(male)

GUAMJOHN HB UserGUAMJOHN HB UserGUAMJOHN HB User

Hi
Sorry for your situation. I a Gleason 4+5 diagnosed the beginning of 2005. After a RP and radiation i have been on Intermittent Hormone Blockade since late 2005. The last round ended in June and was Triple Blockade. My night sweats started with hormone therapy and I have them when I am on the blockade. Like Jim I use a thin covering, and floor fan pointed at my side of the bed. I also have a higher aircon bill when I am on therapy. I consult with Dr Myers who Jim mentioned. For my last round he had me on an estrogen patch which reduced the frequency and intensity and has a positive impact on bone density (something we need to be aware of on long term IHT.

All the best

John

Old 10-27-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
(female)

PAgrandma HB User

Thanks, John for sharing your experience. We are still in the "learning process". Appreciate your input... and hope all goes well for you ~ Joyce

Closed Thread