It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
(male)

pretty12d HB User
Cunningham Clamp For Urinary Incontinence

Hi:

I had a HIFU procedure earlier this year after a failed course of radiation in 2007. As a result of the HIFU (plus three TURPS) I'm now totally incontinent. Earlier this year my oncologist suggested that I use the Cunningham Clamp in order to better manage and ;hopefully, decrease the frequency of the incontinence that I was then (and still) am experiencing. I tried this device and within a few days of use I experienced total urinary retention. My question is: has anyone used this device to manage the above mentioned problem-and did anyone experience a similar outcome as I did.
Many thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
(male)

patient202 HB Userpatient202 HB Userpatient202 HB Userpatient202 HB User
Re: Cunningham Clamp For Urinary Incontinence

Well,pretty 12d, the Cunningham clamp. I glad to hear that it worked so well for you. I may be needed one soon. I am dealing with urinary incontinence and a fistula as well. Right now I pass most of my urine through my rectum which thank God , I have control over. I plan to have urethra reconstruction in the very near future and was very concerned about bladder control once the flow is back in its proper channel.

My radiation oncologist feels this is temporary and will correct itself. I haven't managed to beat the odds yet. I am hopeful but am facing up to the possibility of being in your situation.

Have you considered an artificial sphincter implant?

By the way, I love Toronto, one of my favorite cities. Spent a lot of time there in my youth being from St Catharines.

Best of luck with everything and God bless.

Last edited by mod85; 10-06-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
(male)

pretty12d HB User

Hi:

I'm really sorry to hear that you are experiencing the twin scourges of incontinence plus a fistula also. I gather that both these conditions are a result of your radiation treatment. I had an artificial sphincter valve inserted in the urethra in May 2011. Essentially the valve has changed my life dramatically for the better. I was prior to the insertion of the valve totally incontinent-now I'm totally continent. Regarding the Cunningham Clamp it was totally useless-it caused me to go into urinary retention.

I'm pleased to hear that you had such good memories of Toronto. Toronto as you may be aware has a world famous oncologist plus an equally famous reconstructive urologic surgeon who does brilliant surgery. If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me.

With all best wishes,
Dan

Old 10-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
(male)

pretty12d HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitney View Post
Well,pretty 12d, the Cunningham clamp. I glad to hear that it worked so well for you. I may be needed one soon. I am dealing with urinary incontinence and a fistula as well. Right now I pass most of my urine through my rectum which thank God , I have control over. I plan to have urethra reconstruction in the very near future and was very concerned about bladder control once the flow is back in its proper channel.

My radiation oncologist feels this is temporary and will correct itself. I haven't managed to beat the odds yet. I am hopeful but am facing up to the possibility of being in your situation.

Have you considered an artificial sphincter implant?

By the way, I love Toronto, one of my favorite cities. Spent a lot of time there in my youth being from St Catharines.

Best of luck with everything and God bless.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
(male)

pretty12d HB User

Hi Again:

I apologize-I didn't see your earlier posting regarding your incontinence issue. Depending on the severity of your incontinence there are a number of potential workarounds to address this issue. If it is a mild case: i.e. 3 or less urinary pads used daily then there are several options to consider. Kegel exercises might be beneficial-the upside is that no surgery is involved. Another option might be a urinary sling which is a useful surgical procedure again in mild cases. You indicated that it is now two years since your radiation therapy and you are still experiencing symptoms. Based on my personal experience (radiation & HIFU) it is dubious that the incontinence will improve without further surgical intervention. I understand that your urologist wants to address the fistula issue first prior to hopefully fixing the incontinence problem. The only note of caution I would add is if at some future point in time you are investigating the possability of inserting an artificial sphincter-please make sure that the surgeon specializes in this procedure; otherwise, you definitely could encounter even more problems.

All the best,
Dan

Old 10-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
(male)

patient202 HB Userpatient202 HB Userpatient202 HB Userpatient202 HB User

Well that sucks! I will need to wait about 12-18 months after the urethra reconstruction for an implant if I should need it. Thanks

Closed Thread