It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Smile Prescription drug recommended for fatigue

Over the past few months several board participants have noted that their hormonal therapy caused fatigue. I just learned about a drug that may help when exercise or the caffeine in coffee or tea does not do the job.

Dr. Charles "Snuffy" Myers just gave a review of several options for fatigue, such as the fatigue experienced by some of us on hormonal therapy or chemotherapy. He first looked at several wide-awake products available to all consumers, noting their effectiveness but also that they can make users jittery and possibly have adverse effects on the cardiovascular system.

He then looked at a prescription drug, Modafinil, sold under the brand name Provigil. He found the drug effective and safe, noting that it had been widely studied by medical researchers. I just checked PubMed and got 935 hits with a search for Provigil! It is not FDA approved for fatigue from hormonal blockade or chemotherapy, but it is available as an "off-label" prescription, and Dr. Myers' experience is that insurers will often cover it for prostate cancer patients for fatigue stemming from hormonal therapy or chemotherapy.

I have been on hormonal blockade intermittently since late 1999. The fatigue I experienced was quite minor, and I did not need drugs. In fact I really did not experience fatigue except in the early months of the first of the three blockade cycles I completed. In part I believe I've done well because of aerobic and strength exercise and activities, and those are well known to counter fatigue. However, for some of us Modafinil may bring needed relief.

Has anyone used Modafinil?

I am a fellow survivor with no enrolled medical education, and I'm passing on what I've heard in hopes that it will be helpful to some of us.

Take care all,

Jim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Baptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB User
Re: Prescription drug recommended for fatigue

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the news. I am new in the hormonal “world”, and fatigue has been annoying and difficult to overcome. For the past five years that I do over 5 KM of effervescent walking every day in rough terrain (with my dog), but that has become difficult to accomplish and sometimes I have to stop to rest. I can feel this side effect increasing as time goes, and who knows, if exercise is not part of the cause in the fatigue.

Hope Modafinil is sold in Europe and that it will help.

Regards
Baptista

Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: Prescription drug recommended for fatigue

Hi Baptista,

I'll bet you will find it. I hope it works for you.

Take care,

Jim

Closed Thread