It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
(male)

Jim Mc HB User
Recently Diagnosed

Age 53, PSA 2.9 in 2007, 3.2 in 2008, 3.5 in 09, 4.8 in October 2010. DRE continues to be unremarkable. Kidney ultrasound and bladder cystoscopy unremarkable.

Biopsy 12/1/10: two of twelve cores positive adenocarcinoma, one on each side, right side 4+3=7 (5% of core), left side 3+3=6 (7% of core).

Excellent health, walk 9 miles a week, three sets of tennis twice a week...

Prescribed tamsulosin (Flomax) and Cipro upon 4.8 PSA, immediately began having some groin discomfort and tingling/numbness throughout groin and left leg. Only BPH-like symptoms before (weak stream, stop and start, etc.) Never any ED, not even a system failure. No blood in urine or semen (until biopsy.)

Bone scan negative, urologist doesn't think MRI or CAT scan necessary, but the new symptoms above have me worried that it is spreading. Urologist seems unconcerned.

Anticipating robotic prostatectomy after meeting with Dr. Vip Patel in Orlando in January 19. He has done over 4000, recommended by my urologist and my primary care.

Anyone else have symptoms that begun with taking tamsulosin? Anyone with similar background and prognosis?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: Recently Diagnosed

Hello Jim,

This is out of my area, but I found a publication reference you might want to check:

Tamsulosin-induced-priapism: A Rare Complication Associated With The Management Of Ureteric Colic. "... emanating from ingestion of one 400 micrograms tablet of tamsulosin in hospital as a management
modality for lower ureteric calculi is reported. Case Report(s). A 35-years-old man presented
on a Friday night with a history of sudden onset of colicky left loin to groin pain ..."

Good hunting.

Jim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
(male)

Jim Mc HB User

Thanks very much for this, but that symptom seems to be clearing up as of the last week or two. It continued after I quit Tamsulosin, so it seems it was a groin pull or sciatica from vigorous tennis at about the same time as my diagnosis. I have since had a negative CT scan, in addition to the negative bone scan.

Robotic scheduled April 11. Doc says OK to wait that long, worries me a bit. Diagnosis was December. He wants 3 months healing from biopsy, says another month + not a problem.

He also radiates confidence and states that I have a 90-95% chance of a trifecta and that the slides being re-read will reveal a 3+4 or a 3+3. He has done over 4,000 RP's, more than anyone else in the world apparently.

Other two docs I consulted were not nearly so optimistic, but I have drunk the Koolaid and now hope for the best.

Thanks again for your help.

J

This is out of my area, but I found a publication reference you might want to check:

Tamsulosin-induced-priapism: A Rare Complication Associated With The Management Of Ureteric Colic. "... emanating from ingestion of one 400 micrograms tablet of tamsulosin in hospital as a management
modality for lower ureteric calculi is reported. Case Report(s). A 35-years-old man presented
on a Friday night with a history of sudden onset of colicky left loin to groin pain ..."

Good hunting.

Jim [/QUOTE]

Old 02-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

I just want to wish you the best of luck Jim...
Blessings..
Madison 104

The Following User Says Thank You to Madison104 For This Useful Post:
Jim Mc (02-03-2011)
Closed Thread