It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
(male)

Mholiday2 HB User
If I did brachytherapy....

What would prevent my prostate from "flipping-out" again and start making cancerous cells again? It did it once why not do it again? The seeds kill the cancer cells, but the normal cells remain...right?

I am convinced that my prostate has genetic defect. Why? Because my maternal grand father died at 96 with Pca. He had 2 bothers that both died in their late 70's or early 80's of Pca. His last and youngest brother has Pca and he's still kickin' it at 85 living a quality life as a minister. So from that lineage I have concluded that my prostate was born "crazy". Also, from this you could guesstimate that I share a lazy Pca, hence, their old ages. I asked my uro was it possible that my Pca having relatives were me at 43 and nothing happens for 30 yrs? He said it was quite possible, but of course, there's no way of knowing that.

So I am concluding that my prostate should be banished from the island...what say you?

I have been putting waaaaay too much thought in all this since I was Dx almost a month ago!

May PSA 8.62...first psa and family Dr. Said nothing! I've been going regularly since I was 36 for hypertension and high cholesterol. At the time I was 42.
Nov PSA 8.5...sent to a uro. DRE negative. Biopsy scheduled.

My clinical biopsy: 3-12 cores on the rt. side showed 3+3, 3-12 cores on lt. side showed 3+3, perineual invasion not present, <10% of all biopsy cores showed adenocarcinoma, all defined as nonaggressive. Contained to the organ.

I tried to add the above(clinical biopsy) to my signature, but it would't Save???

Last edited by Mholiday2; 01-15-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User
Re: If I did brachytherapy....

A local recurrence -- It can happen, but the 10 yr odds for biochem recurrence after brachy are only 3-12% depending on the dose you got. Why not deal with it if and when you get there?

Last edited by Tall Allen; 01-15-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: If I did brachytherapy....

I concur with Allen that a recurrence after seeds by a savvy doctor for a low risk cases would be highly unusual. The odds look better than with other approaches.

A signficant problem with seeds in the past was "cold spots" - places where seeds should have been placed but somehow were not covered properly. That can happen because of movement of the prostate tissue that hold the seeds, and if it happens those areas do not get the planned dose of radiation, opening the way for a recurrence. In 2011, good imaging after seeding spotlights these cold spots, and reseeding can be done to those few areas and verified; that's been the case for many years now, and brachytherapy results by talented doctors are very strong.

Jim

Closed Thread