It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
(male)

Legacy007 HB User
My Dearest Dad diagnosed with Prostate Cancer with Bone Metastases

Hello,

My Father has been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer with Metastasis of the Bone. The doc said that it is stage 4. The bone scan reports show that the skull, spine, ribs, pelvis have been infected. The infection is in the 'cell' stage right now.

The PSA test of the same sample showed 50.4 ng/ml at one point and then 113 ng/ml at another. They operated him and have removed the testes so that the infection doesn't spread further. The samples have been sent for a biopsy. The doc mentioned that they will be administering the 'hormone therapy'. So far, he's on some urology related drugs and anti-biotics. The PSA levels will be checked again after 3 months. As of now, the pain in the back, legs, pain during urination is gone.

Is there anything that can be done in this situation? Any kind of diet that he needs to follow?

Please advise if there is anything that can be done. I have read quite a bit on this topic and find hope in many of the cases. Thanking you in advance.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Legacy007
IADT3since2000 (03-01-2011), Kali333 (03-19-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Baptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB User
Re: My Dearest Dad diagnosed with Prostate Cancer with Bone Metastases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy007 View Post
Hello,

My Father has been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer with Metastasis of the Bone. The doc said that it is stage 4. The bone scan reports show that the skull, spine, ribs, pelvis have been infected. The infection is in the 'cell' stage right now.

The PSA test of the same sample showed 50.4 ng/ml at one point and then 113 ng/ml at another. They operated him and have removed the testes so that the infection doesn't spread further. The samples have been sent for a biopsy. The doc mentioned that they will be administering the 'hormone therapy'. So far, he's on some urology related drugs and anti-biotics. The PSA levels will be checked again after 3 months. As of now, the pain in the back, legs, pain during urination is gone.

Is there anything that can be done in this situation? Any kind of diet that he needs to follow?

Please advise if there is anything that can be done. I have read quite a bit on this topic and find hope in many of the cases. Thanking you in advance.
Hi Legacy

You should keep “hope” wide open. Your dad’s body testosterone is now on castration levels (no testis) which will control the advance of the cancer to a certain extent. His doctor will add hormonal drugs to the therapy and still get more control on his case.

There are a series of diets he could benefit from which still will help more in the control of the cancer as well as in the combat of treatment’s side effects. Mediterranean type diet is regarded as very “good”, I do not know about Indian (I love the flavours). Try to get the book by Dr. Myers "Beating Prostate Cancer - Hormonal Therapy & Diet," where you find answers to your fathers case. A recently finished reliable trial on pomegranate juice has shown highly benefits in the control of prostate cancer too.

Hormonal treatment cause bone loss that will affect your dad’s condition. Zometa is a bisphosphonate drug recommended for patients in HT with metastasis in bone. You may discuss this fact with his doctor as it has added side effects by itself.

I would recommend you to read a thread in this forum where Jim (IADT3, a survivor on hormonal treatment) describes in detail the benefits from physical exercise and diet for cases similar to your dad. Here is the link;
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=738683
Wishing the best to you both.
Baptista

Last edited by Baptista; 02-27-2011 at 06:22 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baptista For This Useful Post:
Legacy007 (02-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
(male)

Legacy007 HB User

Hi Baptista,

I really appreciate your prompt reply. It is because of guys like you that we can stand strong during this crisis. I will definitely refer to this book.

I read that Vitamin B6 and D can help fight this disease as well. Is this true?

Being positive is very important. That is something my family believes in and we have faith that my father will overcome this hurdle. God Bless!

Old 03-01-2011, 03:04 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Baptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB User

Quote:
Hi Baptista,

I really appreciate your prompt reply. It is because of guys like you that we can stand strong during this crisis. I will definitely refer to this book.

I read that Vitamin B6 and D can help fight this disease as well. Is this true?

Being positive is very important. That is something my family believes in and we have faith that my father will overcome this hurdle. God Bless!
Legacy,
I hope your father will overcome his hurdle too. His advanced conditions needs particular care and you will be of great help to him. Try to learn about his status and treatments for similar cases investigating in the many available sites about prostate cancer. In this forum you will find the help needed to guide you in your understanding.

I am not taking Vitamin B6 neither D because I am not deficient. Vitamin D is very important in the treatment with HT and we can get it naturally from sun. (I live in a country with 320 days of sunshine a year). Dr. Myers in his book comments about the importance of vitamin D in prostate cancer prevention.
B6 plays also a role in the improvement of side effects from treatment, but Stephanie J. Weinstein et al, found that serum folate B6 was not associated with prostate cancer risk. You can read their abstract typing this sentence in a net engine; “Null Association between Prostate Cancer and Serum Folate, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, and Homocysteine”.

Calcium supplements are usually recommended for patients under HT because of bone loss.

Wishing the best to your dad.
Baptista

Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi Legacy007,

I would like to extend my own welcome to our Board, and I have read Baptista's responses to date that I hope you will find most helpful. Have you noticed that we have a number of participants on the Board from India or with relatives facing prostate cancer in India? I'll insert some comments in green in response to your first post, but I won't cover items that Baptista has already covered very well. I am a now experienced patient, especially with hormonal therapy, but I have had no enrolled medical education.

Quote:
Hello,

Those characteristics alone identify a challenging case, and not many years ago there would not have been much hope for many years of survival. Even with today's medicine his case is still challenging, but there is much more hope. At this point, as I'm confident you have learned by now, surgery to the prostate, radiation, cryosurgery and other approaches that focus mainly on the prostate are unlikely to be worthwhile. However, hormonal therapy (HT), especially at this point the subset of HT known as hormonal blockade therapy (or as "androgen deprivation therapy") has been a mainstay approach for advanced prostate cancer patients for many years. Chemotherapy, either in conjunction with HT or after it now longer controls the cancer well, is also an approach that has improved in recent years and that extends survival considerably in many patients. In addition, a more recent approach is to enhance the body's own immune system to fight the cancer. That goal proved elusive for many years, but in the past few years a drug known as Leukine in the US has proved remarkably successful with some patients, and a related immune system drug known as Provenge was approved by the US FDA only last April. Moreover, the experts in the medical community have learned how to avoid or minimize side effects and provide supporting medication and life-style measures that enhance quality of life and survival.

These approaches are well described in the book by Dr. Charles "Snuffy" Myers, MD, mentioned by Baptista. Another excellent book, especially on countermeasures for side effects, is "Invasion of the Prostate Snatchers" (2010, Ralph Blum and Dr. Mark Scholz, MD). A third book, "A Primer on Prostate Cancer -- The Empowered Patient's Guide," is outstanding on the nature of the disease and the mechanics of hormonal therapy.

By the way, Dr. Myers discusses three especially challenging cases in his book. I have met one of the patients, a NASA engineer of Indian descent. After hormonal therapy no longer worked for him, and then after chemotherapy no longer worked for him, he had astounding success with the drug Leukine. When I talked to him several years ago, he had done so well that he had been able to stop all hormonal and chemotherapy, and he was very sharp mentally and in great shape. He is an inspiration to many of us! (It's just a coincidence that people from India are popping up in this post; I'm not aware that the risk is any greater in India.)

While your dad's PSA is quite high, here are the highest PSAs of the three men whose successful cases Dr. Myers describes in some detail in his book: 1,026, 4,000, and 3,656. I recommend that book especially for its huge dose of well-based optimism!

Quote:
The PSA test of the same sample showed 50.4 ng/ml at one point and then 113 ng/ml at another.
Would you mind giving us the dates for those two readings? The increase in PSA over time is a very helpful indicator of the aggressiveness of the case and of the response to HT and other therapy. (However, in some patients, it is not so helpful. I think it will be helpful in your dad's case because he clearly produces a lot of PSA.) Could you also give us his "Gleason scores"?

Quote:
They operated him and have removed the testes so that the infection doesn't spread further. The samples have been sent for a biopsy.
What the operation does is to permanently stop all production of testosterone from the testes. Since testosterone is the secondary fuel for prostate cancer and a source of the main fuel, DHT (dihydrotestosterone), such surgery or the drug equivalent (me) is the cornerstone of hormonal therapy. However, testosterone is also produced in a much smaller quantity via the adrenal glands. Sometimes the adrenals sense the shortage of testosterone and substantially boost the components needed for more testosterone. That's why the doctors will be using some pill type drugs. The drug of choice in the US is bicalutamide, and I think it may be known in India as Calutide. What it does, in simple terms, is partially block the fuel ports on the cancer cells so that testosterone has trouble docking with the cells and fueling the cancer. However, it does not grip the fuel ports (called androgen receptors) that tightly, and DHT is rather good at shoving the bicalutamide aside, thereby allowing it to continue fueling the cancer.

The answer seems to be to use a third drug in the class known as "5-alpha reductase inhibitors". There are two approved drugs in this class: finasteride, available as a generic, and dutasteride, available only as brand name Avodart, at least in the US. These drugs do not reduce testosterone nor do they block the fuel ports, but they are very good at reducing the amount of DHT that is produced by conversion of testosterone. That means that there are far fewer DHT proteins to compete with bicalutamide for the fuel ports, allowing bicalutamide to block those ports much more efficiently. This triple approach has been my sole therapy, on an intermittent basis, for more than eleven years. Unfortunately, many doctors are not aware of this benefit from the third drug, and we are likely not to get it unless we can help educate them! Another one of our Board participants, Rhonda50, and her husband arenow going through this struggle.

Quote:
The doc mentioned that they will be administering the 'hormone therapy'. So far, he's on some urology related drugs and anti-biotics. The PSA levels will be checked again after 3 months.
In addition to using a three drug approach (or castration plus two drugs in your father's case), the doctors I consider experts would want to have him on some kind of bone density protective drug. These drugs are in a class of drugs known as bisphosphonates, with the recent addition of a drug from the monoclonal antibody class. The most powerful, by far, is the bisphosphonate known as Zometa (zoledronic acid) in the US. It is so potent that it not only reduces bone density loss, stabilizes the bone, or actually rebuilds the bone, but it also often reduces the spread of bone metastases, stabilizes them, or even eliminates them! However, it comes with a rare but potentially serious side effect - "osteonecrosis of the jaw", so its management and preventive countermeasures are important. As with all these bone density drugs, supplementation with calcium and vitamin D3 is important.

Quote:
As of now, the pain in the back, legs, pain during urination is gone.
Surgical castration is well-known for its ability to very rapidly reduce pain from bone metastases. It does this by shrinking the tumors as a result of sharply reducing a key fuel they need to grow and thrive.

Quote:
Baptista and I have addressed some of the most important steps to be taken, including leads to helpful sources, but I would especially like to highlight the importance of taking a drug in the statin class. Research is showing that taking such a drug sharply reduces deaths from prostate cancer, especially when the drug has been taken for three years or more.

We currently lack conclusive evidence favoring many of these nutritional and lifestyle tactics, but there is a lot of evidence that is quite promising. As we do not have the luxury of waiting many years (or forever) for the conclusive evidence, we need to decide on the basis of some uncertainty. An outstanding source for learning about the world of prostate cancer and what affects it is a source known as PubMed (standing for Public Medicine). It is sponsored by the US Government's National Institute of Health, under its National Library of Medicine. We US taxpayers fund it, and it is open to the world. In essence, it publishes descriptions of all the significant medical papers published all over the world, and it is easy to search. We can refer to it and use it on this board because of the Government sponsorship. Here's the site: www.pubmed.gov .

For instance, take the spice curcumin, which is prominent in Indian cuisine. For years it was considered beneficial for prostate cancer, but the evidence of benefit was so weak that Dr. Myers included it , in his book as a supplement he did not recommend. He has since changed to a favorable view, provided the supplement has special additives to promote absorption effectively (many supplements do not). You could search PubMed for (without the quotation marks) " prostate cancer AND curcurmin ". I just did that and got 123 hits. By clicking on the blue hypertext, you can view the abstract of each study if it has an abstract. Sometimes free links to the complete paper are provided. You can also use the Limits feature to refine your searchers, and PubMed has its own tutorial if you want to learn the finer points for searching.

As one other example, I just searched for " prostate cancer AND vitamin B6 " and got 18 hits. The list also shows free links to ten complete papers. (That's an unusually high number of free papers.) My impression is that vitamin B6 is not a big factor in prostate cancer, but I may not be correct in that.

Quote:
I hope I have not loaded you up with too much. I think that your capacity to read a lot will prove most helpful. It takes some time to learn about the disease for a patient with a challenging case. However, I'm convinced that becoming empowered with knowledge is key to having better outcomes.

Best of luck to you and your dad,

Jim

Old 03-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
(male)

Legacy007 HB User

Hi IADT3since2000,

Thank you for your informative reply. Really appreciate it! I apologise for the delay in my response.

Regarding the interval between the PSA tests:- The first test was done on the 16th of Feb(PSA=50.4), and the second on the 18th of Feb(PSA=113). It was the same urine sample.

There was no mention of any Gleason level.

As of now, my Dad's at home, looking and feeling better. He is on a diet of vegetables, boiled fish and fruits. A glass of Pomegranate Juice everyday as suggested by Baptista. Oranges, apples and other fruits as well. Even though beef is his favorite(he's already asked twice after the operation), we are trying to keep him away from red meat.

We will be visiting the doctor in a couple of days. I will be collecting the testes biopsy reports soon. Hopefully there's good news there.

You mentioned about a drug in the 'statin class'. Could you shed some light on this? Have you taken any such drug?

I am truly grateful for all the information you have provided. I will definitely talk to the doc about these drugs. I will update this thread once I have more info.

Thank you and God Bless!

Old 03-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
(male)

Legacy007 HB User

Hi IADT3since2000,

Thank you for your informative reply. Really appreciate it! I apologise for the delay in my response.

Regarding the interval between the PSA tests:- The first test was done on the 16th of Feb(PSA=50.4), and the second on the 18th of Feb(PSA=113). It was the same urine sample.

As of now, my Dad's at home, looking and feeling better. He is on a diet of vegetables, boiled fish and fruits. A glass of Pomegranate Juice everyday as suggested by Baptista. Oranges, apples and other fruits as well. Even though beef is his favorite(he's already asked twice after the operation), we are trying to keep him away from red meat.

We will be visiting the doctor in a couple of days. I will be collecting the testes biopsy reports soon. Hopefully there's good news there.

You mentioned about a drug in the 'statin class'. Could you shed some light on this? Have you taken any such drug?

I am truly grateful for all the information you have provided. I will definitely talk to the doc about these drugs. I will update this thread once I have more info.

Thank you and God Bless!

Old 03-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi again Legacy007,

You are welcome, and I'll insert a few thoughts in green in an excerpt of your post.

Quote:
Hi IADT3since2000,

That is most puzzling! I'm guessing here, but the lab may have been concerned about a possible malfunction and run the second test on the same sample. I have had that done myself, and a mistake had been made on the first run.

I'm also assuming you meant blood sample rather than urine. There is a test that can be done with urine, known as the PCA3 (for Prostate Cancer Antigen 3), but it is not the same as PSA, which is always done with blood.

Quote:
In the US patients are entitled to their medical records. Is it the same in India? If so, your dad could get a copy of his biopsy report. It's a good thing to have.

Quote:
I'm convinced it's important to stay away from red meat, including beef AND pork. They have a lot of saturated fat, but the real problem is something called arachidonic acid. It helps fuel prostate cancer cells.

Quote:
... You mentioned about a drug in the 'statin class'. Could you shed some light on this? Have you taken any such drug?
Yes, I have been taking simvastatin for a number of years; it's the generic version of Zocor. Other examples of such drugs are Lipitor and Crestor, and there are more. These drugs are almost always thought of as helping control cholesterol, but it turns out they also help greatly reduce deaths from prostate cancer, especially when used for more than three years.

Quote:

Thank you and God Bless!
You are most welcome. You can do some research yourself by going to www.pubmed.gov and searching for (without the quotation marks) " prostate cancer AND statin drugs ". I just did that and got 40 hits. If the study has an abstract (most do), you can click on the blue hypertext title and read it.

Good luck,

Jim

Old 03-06-2011, 04:19 AM   #9
(male)

Legacy007 HB User

Hi Jim,

I think it was an error in their report. The blood sample(sorry for the confusion earlier) was sent to two different labs and two diferent readings were obtained. The doc has considered the 50ng/ml reading as the source is more reliable(RG Hospital - Famous is India). It's sad that these guys can be so careless.

Moving forward, the prostate has not been removed and no biopsy has been done. Hence, there are no gleason related reports. The doc mentioned that the cancer has spread to the bone and removing the primary organ(prostate in this case) is not advisable. The major organs like the heart, liver, kidneys seem to be in good shape.

The testes have been sent for biopsy.

Thanks and Regards,

Richard

Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #10
(male)

Legacy007 HB User

Hi Jim, Baptista,

The testes biopsy report came out alright.

We consulted the doc today. He has prescribed the following drug - "veltam plus". It contains TAMSULOSIN 0.4 MG and DUSTASTERIDE 0.5 MG. Googled for the drug and found that DUSTASTERIDE belongs to the class of testosterone-5-alpha reductase inhibitors. As Jim mentioned earlier, I suppose this class is the best of the lot.

As of now, this is the only drug prescribed by the doctor.

I read a little about the 'Gerson Therapy'. Found a lot of success stories. Is it advisable to follow this diet regime when HT is being administered?

Regards,

Richard

Old 03-09-2011, 02:27 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Hi Jim, Baptista,

The testes biopsy report came out alright.

We consulted the doc today. He has prescribed the following drug - "veltam plus". It contains TAMSULOSIN 0.4 MG and DUSTASTERIDE 0.5 MG. Googled for the drug and found that DUSTASTERIDE belongs to the class of testosterone-5-alpha reductase inhibitors. As Jim mentioned earlier, I suppose this class is the best of the lot.

As of now, this is the only drug prescribed by the doctor.

I read a little about the 'Gerson Therapy'. Found a lot of success stories. Is it advisable to follow this diet regime when HT is being administered?

Regards,

Richard
Richard

You could inquire with your dad’s doctor about his planned protocol to handle his case. Metastasis to the bone is a scenario of an advanced cancer patient whose treatment may include a mixture of hormonal and chemo therapy. Tamsulosin is a drug for relaxing the muscles in the bladder neck and prostate to alleviate urinations related symptoms. Dustasteride will act on the above symptoms as well on the “reduction” of DHT, leading to “shrinkage” of the prostate. A drug like Zometa may be most recommended at this time because you dad’s low testosterone (from orchiectomy) and due to bone metastasis.

Periodical PSAs are a must to check progression. I hope you find a reliable laboratory with sensitive assays on the two decimal places (0.XX ng/ml).

Sincerely, I do not think that natural treatments (Gerson Therapy) will save “things” on advanced cases. However it may have a major role in recovery from treatments and in the general wellbeing on quality of life. You should get advice from an expert on the matter because some of those supplements interact with some drugs that your dad’s doctor will recommend to take. A balanced diet is the best. Do not exceed anything.
Get a copy of Dr. Myers book “Beating Prostate Cancer: Hormonal Therapy & Diet”, to keep you informed and to let your dad understand views from a high risk survivor (Dr. Myers) of PCa.

I hope your dad and the whole family get the answers to the problem and to a deserved peace of mind.

Baptista

Old 03-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Richard,

I'm seeing the situation the way Baptista does. I'm responding to your post two posts ago:

Quote:
Hi Jim, Baptista,

...I read a little about the 'Gerson Therapy'. Found a lot of success stories. Is it advisable to follow this diet regime when HT is being administered?

Regards,

Richard
My own opinion is that Gerson Therapy is very likely a walletectomy approach that will add no value, unless removal of the wallet and extraction of large amounts of cash will somehow bring relief. It has been around a long time, catching cancer patients with their guards down and gullibility up. This therapy was proposed to me shortly after diagnosis, and I concluded it was the stuff of quackery.

Medical approaches that are promising will very likely have a number of research papers published about them. I just searched www.pubmed.gov for "Gerson Theory" and got just five hits, two without abstracts, and only two in recent years, with the most recent, 2010, below, which debunks the approach. It should carry a lot of weight that the critical review below comes from Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City, one of the most respected cancer institutions in the world.

Oncology (Williston Park). 2010 Feb;24(2):201.
Gerson regimen.
Cassileth B.
Integrative Medicine, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, USA.
Abstract
The Gerson regimen, developed by Max Gerson in the 1930s, is promoted as an alternative cancer treatment. It involves consuming fresh, raw fruit and vegetable juices, eliminating salt from the diet, taking supplements such as potassium, vitamin B12, thyroid hormone, pancreatic enzymes, and detoxifying liver with coffee enemas to stimulate metabolism. Gerson therapy is based on the theory that cancer is caused by alteration of cell metabolism by toxic environmental substances and processed food, which changes its sodium and potassium content. It emphasizes increasing potassium intake and minimizing sodium consumption in an effort to correct the electrolyte imbalance, repair tissue, and detoxify the liver. The coffee enemas are believed to cause dilation of bile ducts and excretion of toxic breakdown products by the liver and through the colon wall. None of these theories has been substantiated by scientific research. Despite proponents' claims of recovery rates as high as 70% to 90%, case reviews by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the New York County Medical Society found no evidence of usefulness for the Gerson diet. An NCI-sponsored study of Gonzalez therapy, which is similar to the Gerson diet, showed that patients with inoperable pancreatic adenocarcinoma who underwent standard chemotherapy with gemcitabine (Gemzar) survived three times longer and had better quality of life than those who chose enzyme treatment, which included pancreatic enzymes, nutritional supplements, detoxification, and an organic diet.

Put bluntly, testimonial stories are a dime a dozen and don't constitute research. Early on in my own case I looked carefully into some testimonials. I found numerous serious flaws; for instance, a recurring characteristic was that people were "cured" who self-diagnosed themselves but never actually were diagnosed by a doctor. Not that that dampened their enthusiasm one wit.

Over the past eleven years we did have one man who believed in and followed the Gerson approach in our prostate cancer education and support group, in addition to some other therapy. Unfortunately, that fine gentleman passed on. I also had a relative who put trust in the Gerson approach, and he too passed on. My contact with the approach has not tempered my extreme skepticism.

There is a slight possibility that the Gerson approach is one of those pioneering approaches that really does have something to offer but just cannot be appreciated with the conventional wisdom of modern medicine. Ultimately that's a judgement call that each of us have to make. To me, Gerson therapy just does not pass the smell test.

Take care and be wary,

Jim

Old 03-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
(male)

Legacy007 HB User

Hi Baptista, Jim,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. My dad looks better now. Although, he urinates 3-5 times during the night. I'm aware that this is a syptom of prostate cancer but shouldn't HT help reduce the frequent urination(due to shrinking of the tumours)?

There's no pain during urination, which is good. He mentioned that his legs have become weak and that he experiences a kinda "brain emptiness"(his words) as he urinates. Not sure what this is all about. (HT weakening the bones?)

He's on a healthy diet. Pomegranate juice everyday. Lotsa fruits, a cup of green tea, etc. I want him to regain his strength so that we can start practicing some yoga(breathing exercises).

We have ordered Dr. Myer's book. Can't wait to read it!

Hope you are doing well. My best wishes!

Richard

Old 03-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
(male)

Tim E HB User

I was diagnosed with this disease July of 2008 with Bone Mets. You are receiving really good advice. My PSA has been <.01 for 5 months and counting and I am off Hormone Therapy. I still take Zometa. I have followed what has been reccomended in the book Beating Prostate Cancer by Hormone Therapy and Diet. I feel fine with no side effects. (ok I lied, the hormone therapy gave me some weight to loose). I wish you well, and thanks to Jim and Babtista for pointing me in the right direction.

I will post more as I refine my treatment after taxes (I work HR Block- as my second job- over 60hrs a week).

Old 03-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Richard (and Tim - thanks for your kind words),

You asked in the post before Tim's:

Quote:
Hi Baptista, Jim,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. My dad looks better now. Although, he urinates 3-5 times during the night. I'm aware that this is a syptom of prostate cancer but shouldn't HT help reduce the frequent urination(due to shrinking of the tumours)?
Yes, the HT should shrink the tumors and that is likely to make urination better, though there may be other causes for the frequency.

Quote:
There's no pain during urination, which is good. He mentioned that his legs have become weak and that he experiences a kinda "brain emptiness"(his words) as he urinates. Not sure what this is all about. (HT weakening the bones?)
It takes a while, as I understand it as a layman who has had HT and some bone loss with later regrowth, for the bones to lose substantial density while on HT. While there will be a little loss shortly after the testosterone plunges, it is a process that take months. However, if he is not exercising, he may have lost leg muscle, which could account for the weakness.

Quote:
He's on a healthy diet. Pomegranate juice everyday. Lotsa fruits, a cup of green tea, etc. I want him to regain his strength so that we can start practicing some yoga(breathing exercises).

We have ordered Dr. Myer's book. Can't wait to read it!

Hope you are doing well. My best wishes!

Richard
I'm sure yoga is great, but, if he can, aerobic and especially weight bearing exercise is also very important. Depending on his situation, he may need a doctor's help and a personal trainer to work out a program so that he can benefit while avoiding injury.

I hope you and he enjoy the book. I'm confident you will.

Take care,

Jim

Closed Thread