It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
(female)

JenH24 HB User
Smile My Dad's CyberKnife Story

Hi,

I am new to this message board. I would like to share my Dad's Cyberknife story. He was diagnosed in 2008 with prostate cancer. Initially, his urologist was recommending seeds or surgery. My Dad was not happy with either of those options. We did research on all of the available options for him. We came across CyberKnife treatment. After finding out more about it, my Dad decided that it was the best treatment option for him. It also helped that my father in law's friend went through CK treatment and was very happy with his choice and the outcome.
My Dad was treated in October of 2008. He is now almost 2.5 years out from his CK treatment and doing very well. His last PSA check was less than 1 (.73 to be exact). He is doing very well. He had no side effects from his treatment with the exception of a little urgency to pee right after treatment, but that went away.
The downside of all of this is that we have been fighting with Anthem ever since his treatment to pay. We have been through several appeals and we are now in the middle of another one. I have done so much research because of all of the appeals we have gone through. CK treatment is a wonderful treatment option. My Dad couldn't be happier about his decision and I just wanted to share that on this message board. Wish us luck on this next appeal. Thank you. Jennifer

Old 03-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Baptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB User
Re: My Dad's CyberKnife Story

Jennifer,

Thanks for sharing your dad's story with us. I wish him many years of continuous success.
Hope you succed in the insurance'problem.

Baptista

Last edited by Baptista; 03-05-2011 at 06:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome to the board!

A non-profit organization known as PAACTUSA has a legal arm that has helped patients get treatments covered. They might be willing to help you.

Take care and good luck,

Jim

Old 04-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
(male)

RJM3 HB User

Congrats to your Dad! I am now 14 months out from my own CyberKnife treatments and I also feel great and am right on target with the results schedule.

Generally insurance companies tend to deny coverage if they consider the procedure experimental. One of the things to check is that the procedure is coded properly for the insurance to cover it. I understand that Medicare now covers CyberKnife for PC and that is usually a big hurdle in getting a private carrier to cover a procedure. I have Amerihealth insurance and they paid for the treatments, no problem.

Good luck,
Bob

Closed Thread