It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Smile IMPaCT Conference just held

From Wednesday through Saturday last week (that's 3/9 - 3/12/2011), a conference titled as Innovative Minds in Prostate Cancer Today (IMPaCT) was held in Orlando, Florida, sponsored by the Prostate Cancer Research Program (PCRP) of the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program (CDMRP). About 900 were in attendance, including 130 survivor representatives, with the rest of the participants involving researchers receiving grants for research under the PCRP, leading researchers and scientists in prostate cancer, and the Department of Defense staff from the medical section of the Army Materiel Command that manages the program.

Words cannot express the awesome and wonderful developments and accounts of ongoing work that were reported at the conference. For most recent years, $80 million in grant money has been awarded competitively to proposals for high risk/high reward research, and the conference featured reports from each researcher for recent years, as well as major talks on the status of prostate cancer research in key areas. As a survivor representative, I came away with a powerful sense that we are not only making great progress but are actually now bringing drugs and fresh approaches through the FDA approval process and into clinical practice, with many more advances now on deck and ready to advance in the near future.

I hope to report many specific achievements in the coming days.

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, we may not be at the beginning of the end of this disease, we may not even be at the beginning of the end, but we have moved well past the end of the beginning of what we need to do.

Take care,

Jim

The Following User Says Thank You to IADT3since2000 For This Useful Post:
Gleason9 (03-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User
Re: IMPaCT Conference just held

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the report from the front lines. I look forward to hearing the specifics of the new developments as you gather your thoughts and your notes. Is this the same $80M that John McCain wants to slash from the budget?

- Allen

Old 03-14-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

honda50 HB Userhonda50 HB Userhonda50 HB Userhonda50 HB Userhonda50 HB Userhonda50 HB User

Thank you, Jim, for your very upbeat and hopeful message. I'll look very forward to reading everything you write about the information shared at the conference.

Rhonda

Old 03-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi Allen,

I'm replying to your post #2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Allen View Post
Hey Jim,
Thanks for the report from the front lines. I look forward to hearing the specifics of the new developments as you gather your thoughts and your notes. Is this the same $80M that John McCain wants to slash from the budget?

- Allen
Yes it is the same program. We need to avoid politics on the Board, but I believe it is reasonable to talk about the nature of the program. That $80 M is for the prostate cancer part of the program, with the breast cancer program being much larger, and other diseases also being researched.

I saw a newspaper article about the program on Sunday, and the reporter totally missed the uniqueness and crucial value of the program, and I suspect that is the same with many other lightly informed observers. In essence, the program is unique among Federal cancer research work because it fills a critical gap: instead of doing the important work of slowly and surely advancing knowledge of cancer, the DoD Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program specializes in "high risk/high reward" research. Each proposed research project must have a sound and realistic basis, but if it is too close to what has already been established or is currently ongoing elsewhere, it is rejected. Basically the program is looking for the home run slugger, accepting that he will often strike out, but savoring those game and season winning homers and grand slams.

As you might guess, that also means that the program is designed to get around or break through "conventional wisdom", that mind-dulling assumption that we already know what is right, what works, and what does not. By situating the program in the Department of Defense, the Government leverages expertise in medicine, facilities and leadership that already exist, while avoiding the common mind-set that affects other worthwhile medical research institutions, such as the National Institutes of Health, the National Cancer Institute, and the Center for Disease Control.

Those institutions tend to go with proven researchers, and they get a steady if undramatic stream of production. In contrast, the DoD program funds many ideas that don't pan out, unless you count the valuable lesson of learning paths that don't work. However, the DoD program has also notched an impressive number of standout successes that are already emerging into the clinic or are about to do so. Moreover, the DoD prostate cancer program has developed an approach to get drugs through the vital clinical trial process far faster than under conventional approaches; the drug abiraterone, whose approval is expected this year, is a prime example, racing through the trials process in about five years.

I believe that many of the current critics of the program will become advocates when they realize the wonderful medical advances that are occurring.

Take care,

Jim

Old 03-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

CHOLESTEROL

I just added (3/23/2011) a new thread entitled "Cholesterol and prostate cancer (IMPaCT Conference)" that describes Dr. Michael Freeman's major talk on the subject at the conference.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IADT3since2000 View Post
Ipilimumab (brand name Yervoy®)

I just added (3/26/2011) a new thread entitled "Ipilimumab - great advance likely (IMPaCT Conference, FDA)" that describes Dr. Eugene D. Kwon's major talk on the subject at the conference. This is an exciting new immune system drug that is now available off-label for prostate cancer; Phase III trials specifically for prostate cancer are well underway.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

I just added a new thread covering another of the highlights from the IMPaCT conference:

"The Prostate Cancer Clinical Trials Consortium (IMPaCT Conference)"

Jim

Closed Thread