It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
(male)

VicRider HB User
Prepping for a biospy - Reducing certain activities?

Hey folks,

Due to an increasing PSA level, I am scheduled for a ultrasound / biopsy next week. My current PSA is at 4.5 (17% free), up from 3.5 almost four years ago. I am 49 years old.

I've been to many corners of the internet of what that biopsy entails so I think I'm prepared for that. My question is my PSA level.

Should I expect the urologist to do a blood test prior to the biopsy? I ask because I know there are a lot of things that can affect the PSA level.

I ride a motorcycle daily and my exercise regime is primarily cardio with treadmill, stationary cycle, and a rowing machine for an hour a day 5 to 6 days a week.

How much do these activities affect your PSA level and by how much? Are we talking half of a point, a whole point, ?? Should my current PSA levels be the least of my concerns at this point?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Baptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB User
Re: Prepping for a biospy - Reducing certain activities?

John
Both PSAs of 3.5 and 4.5 are high and you should check for the reason. The increase (1.0) in four year is small. I wonder why you did not address the matter four years ago and had a biopsy.
Many things can affect a high PSA, sometimes doubling its numbers. Any activity that could place strength in the prostate a day before drawing blood would cause a spike in the PSA. Riding motorcycle or cycling would do. Even sex the night before or passing hard stool could cause a substantial increase.
An infection could also be present, causing an increase in the size of prostate due to inflammation, and that too is related to high PSA.

I would recommend you to have the PSA tested before the biopsy if the last test (4.5) were done three months ago.

A biopsy is a simple out-patient method of testing that will rule out the presence of cancer and give you peace of mind. Do not let time pass without checking the problem.
I hope your case is not cancer but many guys in this board including myself have been caught at the young age of forties. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer on my 50 years old, eleven years ago, but now I believe that cancer existed since my 46. Remember that prostate cancer caught earlier have many chances of cure.

Hope you get that answer for the good side.
Baptista

Last edited by Baptista; 04-06-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread