It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
(female)

mbeach HB User
Elevated PSA...What's Next Step?

My father is 74 and over the past two years his PSA level went from 2.4 to 3.0. His family doctor is very nervous about the jump and possible cancer and needing a bone scan saying something about making sure an aggressive cancer doesn't spread. He will be sending him to a Urologist in the next month for more testing. Which off course has us all nervous.

My dad being 74 is in overall good health and having no obvious symptoms associated with his prostate. All blood test came back normal except for the elevated PSA.
Just seeking information on what to expect from the Urologist as my dad hates seeing any kind of doctor. Is a biospy next, cat scan or wait and watch/retest etc.? Thanks for all your insight...appreciate it.

The following user gives a hug of support to mbeach:
slenderella (10-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Elevated PSA...What's Next Step?

I am sort of surprised about this. My limited understanding is that a 3.0 is in normal PSA range, I don't understand what the doc is getting so bent out of shape about.
Of course you're nervous!! I'm looking forward to reading more responses.... sorry for your worry.

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
(female)

mbeach HB User

Thanks for your response and kind words....greatly appreciate it!
Upon doing research I found especially at my Dad's age of 74 a PSA of 3.0 is in the normal range. However, the jump, rather than the score, from 2.4 to 3.0 in 1.5 years has his primary doctor concerned. My Dad is nervous especially with the mention of a possible aggressive kind of cancer/bone scan. I keep supporting him by saying...his doctor is trying to be safe and a visit to the urologist will bring more insight and peace of mind. Getting older already has it's challenges without a doctor putting such fear into an eldery patient..thanks again

Old 10-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

honda50 HB Userhonda50 HB Userhonda50 HB Userhonda50 HB Userhonda50 HB Userhonda50 HB User

Hi MBeach,

Don't be worried. His elevated PSA could very well be due to BPH, an enlarged prostate, or prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate) both which are treatable. But, even if it is cancer, at its early stages, it is very treatable and curable. Sometimes if it's slow growing, Active Surveillance is the only treatment. That's where the PSA is monitored regularly to watch that it doesn't become more aggressive. Most prostate cancer is very slow growing, so many men who get it in their later years die WITH the cancer and not from it. Your father's PSA isn't even close to doubling over a period of 18 months. That's not indicative of an aggressive cancer at all...unless the movement of PSA just started happening recently.

So, stay calm and, at this point, I'd just ask that your father's PSA gets checked every three months to see the change. Something to watch for is doubling time (how fast the PSA doubles). From that point, you can find out if the problem is due to something other than cancer and treated or whether he should have a biopsy.

To be honest, I think your father's doctor is doing the right thing by sending him to a urologist but it seems premature to be sending him for a bone scan. Remember, general practitioners don't know everything about everything. The urologist should give you a better idea of the situation and probably set your fears to rest.

Regards, Rhonda

Last edited by honda50; 10-05-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Closed Thread