It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
(male)

Loppylugs HB User
I Came, I Saw, I Changed My Mind.

My first visit, I came looking for a vertigo forum but was sidetracked here, and boys, I is scared by what I see.
I was referred for a biopsy 18 months ago aged 63 following a routine PSA test which was 6 point something. The biopsy showed cancer in three out of eleven samples, I think a Gleason score of 7. The Clinic told me it was nothing to worry about and put me on Active Surveillance with monthly PSA tests. After a rise to 9 after 4 months it fell back to the mid 6 mark and then I have them 3 monthly. It's up at present to 7.1 and the advise to stay with the 3 monthly test.
I was perfectly happy with this till I read some of the posts here where relatively low PSA alarms some posters, should I be going back to the clinic to look fo treatment?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
(male)

abc40kids HB Userabc40kids HB User
Re: I Came, I Saw, I Changed My Mind.

I'm pretty new here and by far no expert but when I was diagnosed in September of this past if I wasn't busy at work or at home I was researching non-stop it seemed like, I had apps on my phone, talked to people... I have to say that the single most comforting thing was complete trust in my doctor who also was my surgeon. I had a Gleason of 6.5 that was up from 3.8 in 2008. The biopsy showed 1 out of 12 positive with a Gleason 8. My doctor said watchful waiting wasn't a good option for me(44) skip forward after much research and family support surgery on December 1st. Everything went well doctor said tumor was bigger than he thought and on the move but was still inside the prostate when removed. My attitude was its there, I need to handle this sooner rather than later. YOU have to be comfortable with any decision you make and I was 100% sure of how I wanted to handle this BAD disease. Good luck with your search for your right answer, there are some good people here that know what they are talking about. Jeff

The Following User Says Thank You to abc40kids For This Useful Post:
Loppylugs (01-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User

How old are you and do you have any other conditions that might preclude treatment? Are you sure the Gleason score was 7? Unusual for Active Surveillance. Other standard criteria are no more than 2 positive cores, insignificant amounts (<50%) of cancer in any one core, negative DRE, PSA density (PSA divided by prostate volume)<.15. Did your doctor put you on antibiotics or finasteride to see if the PSA comes down? It sounds like you are staying well on top of the situation with tests every three months, so if your PSA velocity picks up, you'll certainly know in time to take appropriate action. However, unless you have another condition that might affect your life expectancy, A.S. with the path report you describe is unusual. For your personal self-assurance, perhaps get a consult from another Urologist, preferably one who isn't also a surgeon.
- Allen

Old 01-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
(male)

David2 HB User

Hi Loppy,

I am now 66yrs old and have been very active all my life. Last may (2011) I started to get back pain, urgency in peeing, and going a lot. My doc thought it was an infection and treated me with antibiotics.

However as I was 65 he thought I should have a PSA test. which I agreed to. It returned at 4, he then said he wanted another in a weeks time, This came back at 13 !!. He did a rectal examination and found the prostate was not swollen but to be on the safe side refered me to a urologist. He inturn took a PSA test, This was some 3 weeks after the 1st and it was 26 !!, still no enlargement of the prostate.

He then said he wanted a Template Biopsy of some 60 samples taken from the prostate. I agreed. It was found that I had a gleeson of 7 and 9 section of the prostate had very aggresive cancer tumours. Also My bladder had the same.

Now nearly a year later I have had full hormone treatment LHRH Injections, Had six weeks of Chemo and BCG treatment to the bladder, 25 Radio Therapy IMRT External beam therapy over five weeks, and am to go in again on 3rd Feb for Brachy therapy Implants.

So my man all I can say is dont follow my path it has been very long and very painful at times. This disease KILLS and you dont know it until it is too late, Get checked out and referred to a Urologist and Oncologist. Who is experienced in this field. Go for the best, I did and the prognosis appeares very hopeful.

Good luck Regards David.

The Following User Says Thank You to David2 For This Useful Post:
dokshep5461 (02-13-2012)
Closed Thread