It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
(female)

jackie607 HB Userjackie607 HB User
Cool New question re: husband with prostate cancer

Thanks so much for all the great advice. My mood is not sad any more but I don't see where to change it. At this moment I am calm.

We have an appointment with Dr. Scholz on April 6th. Until then I'm learning all I can from ya'll and other sources.

My new question is this:

I picked up my husband's record from the doctor. His PSA in 2006 was 5.2 and he was referred to a urologist. It was 8.8 in 2007 and 7.3 in 2008 then 11.6 in 2009 and 29.7 in Nov. of 2010 and 29.2 in Jan 2011. He had several biospies that were either negative or high grade pin. But the doctor wrote in Jan. of 2011 that it was explained to patient that this bouncing pattern was, "inconsistent with cancer."

Does this make sense? Believe me, I am not interested in suing him but I can't find anything in anything I've read that would tell me why a PSA would be that high except cancer or an infection (which my husband had taken a long course of antibiotic in case of, even though he didn't have any signs of one). No biopsies were done in 2010 or 2011 because the doctor didn't think the PSA pattern was consistant with cancer?

Okay, I know there is no point in dwelling on what can't be changed. He does have cancer now and we have to move on. But I am asking because something else is curious to me. He had a reading of >50 last month which prompted the MRI and biopsy which found the cancer. The doctor gave him the Lupron last Monday at 5PM. Two and half days later (Thurs. morning) the oncologist repeated the PSA and it was 36.7. He hadn't taken any Casodex. Would it be likely that the PSA went down that much (despite the expected flare) or could the >50 reading been wrong. Why does the PSA bounce like his does? What does it mean about the cancer's aggressiveness? Does anybody know? I know ya'll aren't doctors but you are very knowlegible.

We are waiting to see Dr. Scholz. The biopsy slides have been read by Johns Hopkins but we still haven't seen the results. I am hoping they'll finally send them tomorrow. There was some hold up because I requested them and not the doctor so they wouldn't send the results. I talked to a supervisor yesterday and I believe we'll get them tomorrow.

My husband is already having hot flashes. I told him, "that's good because now you know how I feel." Maybe he'll finally stop turning the thermostat up.
Meantime I'm hanging out on the prostate cancer board. This is certainly a place I never expected to be.

The following user gives a hug of support to jackie607:
Baptista (03-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
(male)

tumbleweed HB Usertumbleweed HB Usertumbleweed HB User
Re: New question re: husband with prostate cancer

Sorry for all your frustration at the moment, I have nothing to offer re your questions about the PC, but you can chnage your mood indicator by clicking on the mood button, just under the welcome message at the top right.

All the best and I hope your husband starts talking soon. Cancer is a difficult thing to deal with because you get no symptoms except what the doctors tell you, then you have various levels of unpleasant treatments and then they tell you that you are OK.

Peter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tumbleweed For This Useful Post:
Baptista (03-09-2012), jackie607 (03-09-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Baptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB User
Re: New question re: husband with prostate cancer

Jackie,

Your other thread provides details that can justify the doctor’s comment of "inconsistent with cancer". PCa usually forms at the peripheral tissue areas and in your husband case it was found at a rare place, “the anterior”.
The baddy here is that he was not much concerned with the high PSA and did not give the needed attention to the case. In more experienced clinics your husband would been subjected to more detailed tests for confirmation.

Here is the link of his diagnosis;
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-prostate/890907-husband-just-diagnosed-prostate-cancer.html#post4934500

Your meeting with the oncologist Dr. Mark Scholz will clarify many of your doubts. Most probably he will not recommend you surgery because he dislikes the treatment to the extreme as described in his book “Invasion of the Prostate Snatchers”. Instead he may recommend you the hormonal treatment which is his field of trade.

I would still get a second opinion from an unbiased source. The results from JH will provide you important information. In any case, I still think that your husband’s status and age (73) is good enough for any treatment he chooses. Is that; surgery, radiation, hormonal or chemo therapy. The risks and side effects should be taken into consideration. There are always things that one could not live “without it or with it”.

Wishing you both the best.

Baptista

The Following User Says Thank You to Baptista For This Useful Post:
jackie607 (03-09-2012)
Closed Thread