It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 2
Dzierga HB User
Should I repeat a bioposy?


I was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. Of the 12 samples taken, one was cancer (Gleason 3+4 =7, involving one third of the sample), one was "rare atypical small acinar proliferation", and the rest were either benign or "non-diagnostic" because "the majority of specimen was deeply adherent to the sponge pad in which it was submitted and did not survive."

My doctor wants to repeat the biopsy to get more information. But since I already know I have cancer, Gleason 7, I'm starting to think I don't need a second biopsy. I am thinking that I am young enough that I should just go ahead and treat, probably with surgery, rather than "watchful waiting."

Other information: my biopsy was triggered by a nodule detected during my annual physical; my PSA is 3.9, up from 2.2 18 months ago; I am 53 years old and otherwise in very good health.

Any thoughts about the advisability of repeating?

Also, was this a botched biopsy, or is this just something that happens from time to time? If the former, I may want a different doctor/hospital to do the repeat.

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 689
Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User
Re: Should I repeat a bioposy?

Depending on whether there was cancer detected at the base and how much will change the probability that they can do nerve-sparing surgery. It may also possibly show higher grades of cancer and high likelihood of extracapsular penetration which might diminish the likelihood that surgery could be a successful treatment for you.

I recall my samples were immediately preserved in wax, so I'm not sure how sponge could get in it. If it were me, I'd have it re-done at a different place after you've healed, and have it read by a prostate cancer specialty lab. The biopsy pathology report makes a BIG difference as to your treatment options.

- Allen

The Following User Says Thank You to Tall Allen For This Useful Post:
Dzierga (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 2
Dzierga HB User
Re: Should I repeat a bioposy?

The cancer was left apex lateral. The base samples were benign, except the "rare atypical small acinar proliferation" -- whatever that is.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 689
Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User
Re: Should I repeat a bioposy?

The "rare atypical small acinar proliferation" means they couldn't get a good read on what it is - often it is cancer, often not. It's a strong indicator of a do-over. You don't know the Gleason scores of the missed cores either -- it could change everything.

If the biopsy was painful, you can ask for a nerve block. It's painless and doesn't leave you drowsy like anaesthesia does. I'd wait until I recovered from the last test, though, and make sure you get antibiotics before and after -- lots of bacteria in there.

- Allen

Old 04-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 47
mrmike2009 HB User
Re: Should I repeat a bioposy?

Since you already know that at least one of the sameples has cancer you know that you have a set of decisions to make - and a lot of information to collect. My Gleason score was 7 and I had CA detected in only 1 of the samples and it was 10% of that sample. I decided on robotic surgery after a lot of discussions with family, friends, and doctors.

Someone above suggested a re-test with another doctor. You might want to look into options for what you might do (in your area) and then go to that medical facility for the second biopsy. You can talk to the specialists there (radiology, surgeons, etc.) to understand your options and then they can recommed if you will need the second biopsy.

As for left, base, etc - I am pretty sure they took 6 samples from each side of the prostate (left/right) and they shoot for top - middle - bottom. I am not sure, but I do not think it makes a difference where the CA is as the prostate is extremely small (size of a walnut) and the samples are taken "blind". I believe the type of surgery they do and what they can "save" has more to do with how bad the CA is. That is what they can tell from a better biospy.

As I said above, there is a lot to process and many options. My guess is there are more options than I had 3 years ago when I had robotic surgery. I consider myself very lucky (and I also had a great surgeon) in that I have recovered and have no lingering problems. Not sure where you live - but if it is a place where you have a choice of hospitals and doctors - take the time to do the research.

One more thing - in my case I had to redo my biopsy as the first one came back negative for CA but positive for HI GRADE PIN (another indicator for CA). They want to wait a couple of months before they do the biopsy again to let things heal. I was also told that I had to wait 3-4 months before my surgery - after the second biopsy (which did show CA).

Mr. Mike

The Following User Says Thank You to mrmike2009 For This Useful Post:
Dzierga (04-10-2012)
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Should I be nervous? Red Nighthawk Cancer: Prostate 3 07-27-2010 02:54 PM
Should we seek a 3rd opinion for how to proceed after a PSA test? nadamlie Cancer: Prostate 5 06-19-2010 08:33 AM
PSA of 17.4 - should I be worried? midi Cancer: Prostate 19 03-17-2010 03:07 PM
Should I be Worried About My Dad brc1976 Cancer: Prostate 3 03-09-2010 10:54 PM
Dealing With the Initial Shock - What Should I Do Next? Rider18 Cancer: Prostate 10 12-05-2009 11:11 AM
Bone Scan Hot-Spots : Should I be worried? Exflyboy Cancer: Prostate 3 09-14-2009 11:58 AM
Should I take finasteride medved Cancer: Prostate 2 08-26-2009 07:28 AM
Should we be concerned? Sue58 Cancer: Prostate 5 02-05-2008 12:08 PM
PSA Levels Went Down On Second Test. Should I Still Get A Biopsy? builder Cancer: Prostate 10 12-19-2007 12:11 PM
Should I be worried? worknmom Cancer: Prostate 2 06-07-2004 11:53 AM

cancer biopsy question

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:33 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2015 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!