It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
(male)

bubbabobbrain HB User
atypical glands on biopsy

Just got results from Saturation biopsy. Of 30 cores 3 tested positive for ASAP

Anyone have that diagnosis? Will Atypical cells always progress to cancer?

Doctor wants to monitor PSA and repeat if not stable.

Wonder if another pathologist can translate this for me?

A 0.3 mm focus of atypical glands is present in the left apex core biopsy. PIN-4
cocktail of immunohistochemical stains (p63, high molecular weight cytokeratin
and p504S/racemase) was performed with appropriate positive and negative
controls. Small atypical glands failed to demonstrate staining of basal cells
with high molecular weight cytokeratin or p63 and showed weakly positive
cytoplasmic staining for racemase

Old 04-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Baptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB User
Re: atypical glands on biopsy

Brain

ASAP stands for Atypical Small Acinar Proliferation. ASAP diagnosis is usually related to cells that do not classify to benign neither malignant but to a probably of both.
In some studies pathologists have found that high PSA in ASAP presence, lead usually to adenocarcinoma classification later. In any case you will have to repeat the biopsy to get a confirmation.

I wonder what made you to get a Saturation biopsy. Usually that is done when the traditional 12 cores is negative to cancer but the PSA is high. Can you share more info on your case?

The good thing in the results is that ASAP was found only in three cores which indicate a small volume of this type of cells. If they turn out to be malignant your case would be the typical low risk to which Active Surveillance is recommended.
This regimen of continuous testing may in fact be what you have been done up to now.
For peace of mind you could get a second opinion on the samples from a laboratory like Johns Hopkins or Bostwick.

Baptista

The Following User Says Thank You to Baptista For This Useful Post:
bubbabobbrain (04-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
(male)

bubbabobbrain HB User

Thanks. I was surprised that he ordered a saturation for my first biopsy as well. I did ask to be sedated for the procedure so maybe he decided to be through.

My PSA ramped from .5 to 2.1 in less than a year so that may have been a factor.

I just turned 50 so waiting is not an option.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Baptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB User

Waiting is more than an option to your case.

I understand your concern because of the possibility in having cancer but a positive diagnosis is not a death sentence. There are many ways to treat and control and in your case you have not yet received a positive result.

The PSA is not high and the sudden increase could be a cause from other reasons. Sex the night before drawing blood can increase the PSA and so could be any manipulation of the prostate such as riding a bike, etc.

I would recommend you to read and educate yourself about this desease but not rushing to anything without knowing the facts. Take the time and think coordinatly.

Best
Baptista

Last edited by Baptista; 04-05-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
(male)

bubbabobbrain HB User

Thanks for your reply. My PSA ramped from .5 to 2.1 with 7 psa tests taken each progressively higher.

My prostate is small 26 cc and BHP is not an issue. Dr says there is no infection.

I know I am early but feel helpless to to anything but watch this get worse.

Closed Thread