It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
(female)

shirleyg011327 HB User
Question prostate cancer mestasis

My dad was just diagnosed with prostate cancer mestasis. He's 85 yrs old. Doc said radiation/chemo is only choice. Worried about quality of life, but what is the life expectancy if no treatment?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User
Re: prostate cancer mestasis

I'm sorry to hear about your father.

The actuarial life expectancy of the average 85 year old man in the US is 5 years - this is without having PC. No one can predict it for an individual. Radiation and hormones at this point are palliative -- it will lessen the pain of bone metastases and help him feel better. Zometa or Xgeva may also prevent or slow down bone mets. Chemo, usually Taxotere (docetaxel), is usually very hard to take, and is not curative, so that is a highly personal decision.

I know you and your father are facing some tough choices right now, and wish you good luck in getting through them.

- Allen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread