It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
(male)

ard HB User
Before you decide between open surgery and Da Vinchi, please read

I hope this will save some of you what I went (and still going through).

I had T1C tumor, 3+4. All confined. PSA 4.
Ideal candidate for RP. I chose to go with the Da Vinchi, which may have sealed my fate. Post surgery, all the cancer sites were left behind, and some 14CC of the gland. I am due for radiations and homone therapy. The most agressive tumor was cut in half.
It is true that the surgeon can make the difference. But I heard too many similar stories already.

My experience, is do not go for the Da vinchi if you have:
Agressive tumor (4 or 5).
It is located near the bladder neck or wall.
You are a narrow body type (not enough room to manouver inside)

There is a new version of Da Vinchi that includes an ultrasound probe to avoid these very issues. It is in clinical trials currently. I think it is in Mayo clinic.

Go to where there is a dedicated urology-encology department. Just more people to consult with and get advice from.

Hope yu make the right choice and do well!!!

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: ard
Baptista (07-19-2012), edd4480 (07-29-2012), Midnight Dream (07-25-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ard For This Useful Post:
edd4480 (07-29-2012), Midnight Dream (07-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
(female)

Midnight Dream HB User
Re: Before you decide between open surgery and Da Vinchi, please read

avi/ard:

I'm so sorry to hear you have this to report!

My husband also is an ideal candidate for RP T1C tumor, grade 4+3=7 Gleason, confined, PSA 4.3.

We've already decided on open because we also found that if you've had previous abdominal surgery, the open is much better. The surgeon said the robotic can't see well enough if there is existing scar tissue. It is also a 2 hour procedure, rather than 4 hour..so in our case less stress for his history of DVT and peritonitis.

Thank you for sharing, God Bless You!

DW

Last edited by Midnight Dream; 07-25-2012 at 09:20 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Midnight Dream:
ard (07-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
(male)

ard HB User

Hello,

I wish you the best of luck. I wish I was better informed before I made my decision.
Evrything that results from surgery may be addressed and fixed, as long as you stay alive. Take the safest approach, and dont be fooled by the glitter of technology.
Hope You get quick and easy cure.
Avi.

The following user gives a hug of support to ard:
Midnight Dream (07-25-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ard For This Useful Post:
Midnight Dream (07-25-2012)
Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

speckled pup HB User

[QUHi,
Just want to say "kudos" for speaking out to help others. I've gone through similar problems (from the female perspective) with Stage 4 Endometriosis. The first surgeon insisted on LAVH. I didn't know any better, and trusted that he did. WRONG! He failed with the first surgery, leaving my ovaries & tubes. He failed with the second laproscopic surgery by not only leaving most of the endo, but also sewed part of a left behind falopian tube into my vaginal cuff, causing proud flesh requiring multiple cauterizations, and permanent misery...I ended up with a GYN/Oncologist who opened my abdomen from breast bone to pubic to find "the worst case he'd ever seen". The endo had attached/adhered most of my organs together from my liver to my rectal/vaginal canal. Unfortunately, it took liver failure to get me to the cancer doctor. The endo had blocked my common bile duct, causing my liver to shut down.
The oncologist did the best he could to "clean out" my abdomen, but confessed it was so wide spread, it was impossible. Although I am grateful my diagnosis was not cancer, the surgeries did not erradicate my suffering at all. I've not had a well day in 25 years. I only wish the internet had been available to me back then, so that I could have been my own "patient advocate" through research. I would never have agreed to "conservative" lap assist surgery to facilitate rapid recovery. I try to remain positive, but I'm disappointed every day that I've awakened yet again to the misery. I feel that I was robbed by the Endo...infertile @ 26, raped and pillaged by my first surgeon...anatomically disfigured inside my vagina because I blindly trusted a "highly respected" OB/GYN in his prime. Yes, I'm bitter. Your post breaks my heart for you. I hope that you find a surgeon that rights the wrongs. Don't give up:-)

Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
(male)

ard HB User

Hello Pup...
Sorry to hear about your experience, and at such young age. However, we must move on...and live and enjoy everyday we have.
I've completed my treatment, and waiting to see what would be the outcome of it. It is too soon to know, and the odds are not that great. However, I am ready to whatever comes my way.
I have some "byproducts" from the treatment that affect me quality of life and I am trying to live with it. I have episodes of severe stomach pain that cause me to get depressed sometimes, but I am trying to get over it. I am improving at it...
I am much older than you, and still the loss of functionality and the toll the treatment takes on your body is tough. I can only try to imagine what are you going through. But....there is always something new to see, pleasant surprises to experience and to see the ones dear to you doing well. And this gives strength to cope and go on.
My best wishes to you my friend.
Avi

The Following User Says Thank You to ard For This Useful Post:
speckled pup (01-31-2013)
Closed Thread