It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

RJV HB User
Pca

After several years with prostate problems that were treated with various drug and supplements to no avail I was referred to a urologist in Prince George. After examining me he scheduled a biopsy.

On June 27Th the results came back and I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Gleason score of 8. A CT scan was scheduled but the Urologist took his summer holidays.

I booked an appointment with my family Dr. to get the results and the scan also showed something on my lungs. Another CT scan was booked for the chest area, another appointment with the family Dr. to assess the results, which showed nothing concrete. I have something that shows up but it could be from the past.

A couple days ago I got a call telling me I was scheduled for a bone scan; I asked who had requisitioned it and was told it was the urologist. I’m guessing he checked the results of the CT scan while on holidays and found something he wanted a closed look at. So tomorrow I get my bones scanned. I have an appointment with the urologist at the end of the month.

At the present time I feel fine. If I didn’t know that I have cancer I’d think I was in perfect health for a guy my age (66). The only thing that bothers me is a weird feeling in my feet. Feels like my socks are balled up under my toes. I’m probably 20 pounds overweight, I’m in relatively good shape, walk a couple miles a day, golf 2 or 3 times a week. Quit smoking cigarettes21 years ago and up till last November enjoyed the odd cigar on occasions. Have a couple drinks a week when company shows up and have the occasional glass of wine with a meal. Blood pressure is normal, and don’t take any drugs. Went off statins (lipitor) about a month ago as a result of the problem with my feet to see if that might clear it up. Didn’t.

I don’t know what to expect when I meet with the urologist but will report back after my appointment.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-26-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
(male)

muguy HB User
re: Pca

you will be all right.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

RJV HB User

Visit to the urologist on July 31:

The bone scan confirmed the CT scan; no cancer in the bones.

Cancer seems to be confined to the prostate with one lymph node being slightly enlarged. (1mm over normal) Options I was offered at this time were radiation or surgery.

I have been referred to a radiation oncologist in Vancouver. Now waiting for an appointment to meet with him/her to plan an attack.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User

That's great news that your bone scan was clear.

With Gleason 8, and evidence of lymph node involvement, many men take a multimodal approach: neoadjuvant (started 2-3 months before the radiation) hormone therapy plus HDR brachy to the prostate itself plus external beam radiation to a wider area.

IMHO, surgery is pointless if there is evidence that the cancer is not contained within the gland, and radiation after surgery increases the bad side effects of each, without increasing the cure rate over what it would have been had you just had the multimodal radiation therapy.

- Allen

The Following User Says Thank You to Tall Allen For This Useful Post:
RJV (08-03-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi RJV and welcome to the Board!

I'm very glad you will be going to Vancouver. The medical oncologists there who deal with prostate cancer are very highly regarded (international reputation with some great pioneering work and research), and I'm thinking the radiation oncologists would also be expert.

Take care,

Jim

Old 08-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

RJV HB User

The urologist in Prince George referred me to another Dr. on July 31.

On August 7, I contacted the BC Cancer Center and was informed they had received the referral and forwarded it to the Dr. who looks after patients from the northern part of the province.

August 9th; I was contacted by this Dr. and have an appointment to meet in Prince George on Friday the 17th. Hopefully at this point we will map out a treatment strategy and get on with the process.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

RJV HB User

Results of the visit to the Radiation oncologist in Prince George on Aug 17th:

We now have a plan; Hormone therapy combined with External beam radiation after 3 months or so of the Hormone therapy.
The Hormone therapy consists of a pill every day (Bicalutamide) combined with a shot in the butt every 3 months. (Goserelin)

I took my first pill this morning. Weíll see how severe the side effects will be. Sounds like menopause. Who knows maybe Iíll start to enjoy shopping.

To be continued

Old 08-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

RJV HB User

First day on Bicalutamide resulted in mild upset stomach and one bout of diarrhea. Might have been a little more tired than normal or it could be the result of a couple of late nights.

Feel fine the morning of day 2. Bowel movements back to normal.

Is it normal to have side effects show up on day one? Anyones experiece with this drug would be appreciated.

Last edited by RJV; 08-19-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #9
(male)

SteveBoston HB User

Hi RJV,

Sounds like your Docs have the situation well in hand. I was diagnosed with PCa in January. Due to my age (73), Gleason (8), and co-morbidities (Mild-Moderate Emphysema and prior surgery (Turp, Open-Heart surgery for congenital defect), my best
option was IMRT with Hormone Therapy. My CT Scan and MRI indicated that the cancer was confined to the Prostate. My HT was 6-month shots of Eligard. I had 1 prior to the Radiation and will get the 2nd in a couple of weeks. My IMRT was 5-days a week for 8 weeks (March through May 17). I tolerated it quite well. Some people have bowel problems but I took Metamucil Capsules daily and that may have helped minimize the problem. My first PSA test following the radiation came back at 0.3. I'm pleased with that and will get another test in a couple of weeks. Each case is, of course, different but I think you're goiong to come out fine.

Steve Boston

The Following User Says Thank You to SteveBoston For This Useful Post:
RJV (08-20-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

RJV HB User
Week one

After a week on Bicalutamide, I donít seem to experiencing any severe side effects.
I take one pill in the morning with breakfast. I notice I get tired a little easier but that just might be the heat weíve been having. So far the treatment has been relatively easy.

To date, and Iíll admit I havenít brought it up, there has been no mention of lifestyle or diet changes.

Next Friday I get my first shot of Goserelin. We will see how that goes.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User
Re: Week one

RJV-
You didn't mention your exercise regime, but maintaining as rigorous a regime of both weight-bearing and cardiovascular exercise as you can manage is very important. Exercise will help maintain your bone mineral density, your lean body mass, your cardiovascular health, your mood, and will defend against fatigue. It will also help the radiation do its work.

- Allen

Old 08-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

RJV HB User

Allen:
I have no exercise regime to speak of; I play golf (with a power cart) a couple times a week and walk a couple miles most days. Other than up and down the stairs 20 or more times a day and whatever energy I expend doing chores etc. I have no exercise program to speak of.

Like I said nothing about lifestyle was mentioned by the Dr. I did ask the urologist about diet and he said that diet probably didnít cause the cancer so to continue on as I had been doing. So being one to push my luck I asked about smoking the odd cigar and he said it would be better if I didnít.

I do enjoy a good Cigar with my single malt after a round of golf.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

RJV HB User

Started Goerelin(Zoladex) on Friday Aug 31.

The injection, in the stomach area near the navel, was relatively painless. The Dr froze the area first then injected the drug.

So far there have been no serious side effects. Not feeling 100% but nothing I canít live with. Dr warned that I might experience flu like symptoms but so far so good.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

RJV HB User
Smile So far so good

2 weekends have gone by since my Zoladex injection with few or no side effects that I can blame on the drug.

There is some bruising on the stomach where the drug was injected but I guess that was to be inspected. Bowel movements have varied between constipation and diarrhea but that has happened at times in the past before I started treatment.

Iím stiff and sore but Iím blaming that on the exercise program I started. I seem to tire more easily but again that could be the exercise program or the undeniable fact that Iím getting older.

All in all I feel good and the treatment has had no adverse effects on the way I live my life.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

RJV HB User

3 weeks since the Zoladex injection. 2 weeks since is stopped taking bicalutumide.
Still feeling fine. I’m starting to tire a little more easily especially if I do any physical work. Libido is decreasing. 2nd week into weight training program and seem to be improving. Getting more done in the time allotted. Walking a couple miles a day.

Prostate symptoms are getting worse. I now have greater urgency when I have to pee, have to stand longer for the dripping to subside and am getting up a night more frequently. It’s a good thing I walk in a wooded area.

The hot flashes I was warned about have started. It’s like someone turned a heater on, it lasts a few minutes and goes away. Anyone have experience with these? Is it something that eventually goes away?

So far so good. Aside from making sure there’s always a bathroom in sight I’m still able to appreciate and enjoy life every day.

Last edited by RJV; 09-22-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Closed Thread