It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
(male)

broderbund HB User
Fluctuating PSA

I'm 46 and have a regular annual physical. Since age 40 my psa was a baseline 1.5 but two years ago it shot up to 4.9. I went to a respected urologist and underwent a PCA3 plus test and the odds of cancer came back very low (believe my score was a 7). After a round of antibiotics my PSA returned to 1.5.

Over the last two years my PSA level has been fairly steady. I had it checked in February 2012 and it was 1.7. I just got the results from this years phyiscal (July 2012) and it had spiked to 4.1

I have an appointment with my urologist but am interested in others thoughts. Based on my research this sounds like a chronic inflammation as the results spike very quikcly and then return to normal ranges but guess one can never be sure ----- on the other hand I really don't want to have a biopsy unless I have to. Anybody else have a similar experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User
Re: Fluctuating PSA

Very common. Prostatitis is hard to get rid of and keeps coming back. If Cipro doesn't work, try Bactrim or another antibiotic. As long as your PSA keeps going back down there's absolutely no reason to get a biopsy, imho.

- Allen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
(male)

navyair HB User

If you ever do get a biopsy find a urologist that sedates you before inserting the biopsy device. Mine did and I never felt a thing.

Last edited by mod85; 08-03-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi broderbund,

Allen has already provided key information.

The Cleveland Clinic has published information for patients about prostatitis and chronic pelvic pain syndrome that you may find useful.

Take care,

Jim

Old 08-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
(male)

broderbund HB User

Thanks very much for your comments. I spoke with my urologists office and he prescribed 500 mg Cipro for two weeks and then wants to see me in his office.

Given that history seems to be repeating itself (hopefully that is) where my PSA shoots up very rapidly and then returns to base levels ----- how long would you wait for the PSA to come back down before having a biopsy?

Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User

Sometimes it takes more than two weeks of Cipro, sometimes you have to try another antibiotic, like Bactrim.

I heard that the newly approved PHI test will be available by November in the US. If you're in Europe, it's already available. That may help you avoid a biopsy if your PSA stays elevated.

- Allen

Old 08-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
(male)

Rock1882 HB User

Hey Broderbund, Tall Allen , Jim,

Jim, I sent you a message yesterday with similar concerns as Broderbund. Broderbund, I too just had my 6 month Psa checkup, bummer results, 3.25 and I am on finastride so actually 6.5. My last checkup in Feb 12 was 2.0, last Aug. 2.8. One of my questions to Jim was, I own a landscaping business and go with my guys and usually run one of the mowers, 31hp mower which bounces you to death on the majority of the jobs we do. That being said, would that cause my Psa numbers to be high? I also have felt terrible since the last of June, had a CT scan of sinus and have a pretty bad infection. The morning of my Psa test, this past tuesday, I had done some mowing and called the nurse at lunch time to see when I could come and get my blood drawn which she said around 2 that afternoon. So yesterday around 6:15 she called with the results and said the Dr. wanted to schedule me for another biopsy, which will be my second in almost 8 years. I had started around Nov 2011 on vitamin D and pomegranate supplements and that is why I figured my drop to 2.0 in my Feb 12 test. So guys, any advice would be greatly appreciated, Rock

Closed Thread