It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Akai HB User
Anybody thinking about Immunotherapy as a treatment?

Have not seen much discussion on this option?

mP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
(female)

livingatlake HB User
Re: Anybody thinking about Immunotherapy as a treatment?

Hi Akai:

Yes, I will be doing research on immunotherapy...have not had time yet. Hubby on Trelstar and Casodex and PSA dropped from 6.0 to .11 in first month, so we have time now to research any future treatments. PSA dropped to <.05 in second month. I hope to hear more about this at the PCRI conference on Sept. 6th in LA...it is a wonderful conference and Drs. Strum, Sholtz, Myers, Bahn etc. will be there and you get to ask them questions. Have you considered going?

Take care,
Livingatlake

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Akai HB User

Hi, I was not aware of the conference, will look into it right away.

Thanks,

Akai

Old 08-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User

That's because there's not yet much available to discuss. The only FDA-approved vaccine for PC is Provenge, but it has only been approved for mCRPC so far. Yervoy is in clinical trials but is theoretically available off-label (it's been approved for melanoma). I say theoretically because these are hella expensive (about $120,000 for 4 Provenge treatments, if I remember right) and I doubt insurance would cover it off-label. Some of these have had cases of life-threatening side effects. I think Provenge has a 4 month survival advantage on the average. The 4 month figure is a little deceptive because it has no effect at all in some men and can add years in others.

There are a few other vaccines and immune boosters like Prostvac-VF and GVAX that are in tests for mCRPC. They are also testing combos of these, e.g., prostvac or GVAX with Yervoy. Phase 2 trials are encouraging. These kinds of things are almost always tested to prove a survival advantage for mCRPC first, and often only after chemo failure. It takes a long time to show a survival advantage earlier in the process so such trials take a long time.

I've seen one trial of immunostimulants GM-STF and pTVG-HP plasmid DNA vaccine in men with rising PSA after definitive therapy. Clinicaltrials.gov lists all FDA-registered clinical trials. If you enter "prostate cancer" and "vaccines" or "immune boosters" you can find out what they are testing, what the inclusion criteria are, which are recruiting, and where the tests are.

- Allen

The Following User Says Thank You to Tall Allen For This Useful Post:
livingatlake (08-30-2012)
Closed Thread