It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
(male)

lampman HB User
Urination pain...

Although I have not posted since my diagnosis in May 2006, I have been a regular reader of the blog and like to keep up with everyone's progress. I so far have kept the monster at bay after radiation therapy and my continuing treatment of 50 mil Casodex per day with a Eligard injection every 6 months. So far PSA has remained undetectable. So here's the question for someone who may have gone thru the same treatment as I. I have had the great pleasure to enjoy bouts of kidneystones for the last 40 years my urologist is doctoring me for these also. I have been passing blood and blood clots in my urine, yet after being scoped, bladder and urinary tract is clear of anything suspicious. I feel a slight pressure as maybe a prostate infection. Is it possible to have after radiation? It is my understanding that the prostate is "dead" yet I have painful urination and at times blood and blood clots passing. I have taken antibiotics and meds for UTI but to no avail. This is now going into my 5 week. Let me say though that ct scan and X-rays show "numerous" stones yet to pass. I already have passed 9. Just wondering if any of our members have been thru this too? Keep up the good fight one and all!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User
Re: Urination pain.....

I'm so sorry to hear about the stones -- adding insult to injury.

Quote:
It is my understanding that the prostate is "dead" yet I have painful urination and at times blood and blood clots passing.
No. Far from it. Unless you had a prostatectomy, you still have a prostate full of live cells that can become infected. You can have inflammation anywhere in your urinary tract (urethritis, prostatitis, cystitis, nephritis) and/or have kidney and/or bladder stones that are scouring the bladder neck and the urethra. UTIs are notoriously hard to get rid of and may not necessarily respond to most antibiotics, if any. Did he flush away the stones with a catheter?

My RO warned me against using a cystoscope after radiation because that itself can cause inflammatory reactions in the sensitive tissues. You may be having a late flare-up of radiation-induced urinary symptoms, although that is unlikely after 6 years. My RO believes in taking only very conservative symptomatic treatments for urinary symptoms, like an alpha blocker like Rapaflo, or perhaps something to help the protective mucus lining like Elmiron. My urologist has samples that saved me money -- ask your urologist.

- Allen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Baptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB UserBaptista HB User

Lampman

Interestingly I have a similar case of yours regarding symptoms. I also had radiation in 2006 (as a salvage treatment from RP) and later had HT with Eligard.
In 2008 I had a urethral stricture (pain and traces of blood when passing urine) caused by scar tissue from RT. Recently, in a period of one year, in two occasions, I saw blood in my stool and in my urine. Initially I though it be from stressful physical exercise in a “rough” day of golf, but three FOBT tests were positive and that took me to a virtual colonoscopy (CT) that reveal nothing. My urologist thinks that I got blushing in inner haemorrhoidal vessels; however, I decided to meet a Gastroenterologist who specializes in problems with RT scars for a full colonoscopy, this month.

Mild ulcerative colitis and urethritis is in my mind but as the scars in the urethra found in a cystoscopy in 2008, it all may have started and probably is a late side effect from radiotherapy.

I am hopeful that you manage to treat your symptoms with a simple alpha blocker. In any case you should get proper advice from an urologist.

Baptista

Last edited by Baptista; 09-04-2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: spell

Old 09-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
(male)

lampman HB User

Thank you....I meet with the urologist again this month for my Eligard injection. I will ask him about going on a alpha blocker. Best of luck in your quest also....I know this is extremely uncomfortable.

Closed Thread