It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
(male)

Upjohn HB User
"Double" Bump after Radiation

In May, 2007, I learned that I had prostate cancer. Gleason score was 3+3 / PSA 8.23. Treatment ensued. Post-radiation PSA, in October, 2007 was 3.57. These are the readings which have followed:

Mar 2008 = 2.22
Sept 2008 = 2.64 (the "bump")
Oct 2008 = 2.41
April 2009 = 1.26
Nov 2009 = 1.27
April 2010 = 1.03
Dec 2011 = 0.85
Dec 2012 = 1.56 (another "bump"?)

It is this last reading which is of concern to me. As I understand it, most men experience the "bump" within the first 24 months after radiation. My oncologist tells me we have to wait to see what happens to the PSA in 3 and then 6 months to obtain some sense of what this might mean. I understand this "clinical" response but it does nothing to calm the anxiety I now feel about what could be in store for me.

Does anyone have any experience with this second "bump" so long after the IMRT treatment and what has been the consequence?

Last edited by Upjohn; 12-19-2012 at 06:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Tall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB UserTall Allen HB User
Re: "Double" Bump after Radiation

I was told to expect bounces at any time. Bounces are associated with treatment success. They are not a cause for concern unless they are at least 2 full points over your lowest PSA, which would translate to 2.85 for you. Even then they may not predict a clinical failure, especially if you had close to 80 Gy of IMRT.

Sometimes they are due to prostatitis and some Cipro will bring it down.

- Allen

The Following User Says Thank You to Tall Allen For This Useful Post:
Upjohn (12-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread