HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Rectal & Anal (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-rectal-anal/)
-   -   need advice on polyp/hemmorhoid (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-rectal-anal/125919-need-advice-polyp-hemmorhoid.html)

lilmama 11-13-2003 02:10 PM

need advice on polyp/hemmorhoid

Hi all. I am glad I found this board. I have had for last 2 years what I thought was a hemorrhoid (as I was told so many times by my ob/gyn throughout my pregnancy and post partum). Anyway a new gyno I went to told me to see a rectal doc b/c she thought it was a polyp.

I saw a doc today. I am confused by what it is exactly but didnt want to look dumb by having him clarify over and over. He did say he was 99.999999 percent certain it was not cancerous,but merely an overgrown skin tag caused at one point by a hemorhoid. I THINK that is what he meant but I was so stressed at the time and upset.
He suggested surgery to remove it and a lab would do pathology on it but made it seem like no big deal and not an immediate emergency or anything. Has anyone heard of this, a large skin tag that is flesh colored and looks like a hemorrohoid ,it protrudes from anal opening and is on a stem like thing?and if so do you also agree it is most likely not malignant? ( i have family history of CC so am a bit concerned it's not something more).

ktee_uk 11-14-2003 12:51 PM

Hi there

I had same problem twice. The skin tag was aggrevating as was difficult to clean around etc and it caused heamorrhoid. Also caused an infection in my case. I had first one removed about 8 years ago but another one occurred and I had this removed 2 years ago. There is also history of CC on female side of family but so far have not been concerned regarding this.

I am told that skin tags and heammorrhoids often return and I would go through the surgery again as they cause do much discomfort. Be warned however that the surgery for heamooroids is v.painful :rolleyes: :eek:

Katpauley 11-19-2003 02:57 PM

Hemorrhoid/ Polyp

[QUOTE=lilmama]Hi all. I am glad I found this board. I have had for last 2 years what I thought was a hemorrhoid (as I was told so many times by my ob/gyn throughout my pregnancy and post partum). Anyway a new gyno I went to told me to see a rectal doc b/c she thought it was a polyp.

I saw a doc today. I am confused by what it is exactly but didnt want to look dumb by having him clarify over and over. He did say he was 99.999999 percent certain it was not cancerous,but merely an overgrown skin tag caused at one point by a hemorhoid. I THINK that is what he meant but I was so stressed at the time and upset.
He suggested surgery to remove it and a lab would do pathology on it but made it seem like no big deal and not an immediate emergency or anything. Has anyone heard of this, a large skin tag that is flesh colored and looks like a hemorrohoid ,it protrudes from anal opening and is on a stem like thing?and if so do you also agree it is most likely not malignant? ( i have family history of CC so am a bit concerned it's not something more).[/QUOTE]
This is not anything to fool with. Recently my step-daughter had something very similar. She had some bleeding with it. First she was told it was a Fissure and when things persisted she had a Colonoscopy. At this time the Dr. missed the Polyp. It continued to bother and she could also see it popping out so with continued persistance it was found out and removed. The Dr. was sure it wasn't malignant because she was so young (36) but it turned out to be cancerous. This took from June- Oct. So I would have it checked out for sure. She had no cancer in the family and was very healthy so anything is possible. Good Luck, Kat