It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2003, 03:15 PM   #1
(male)

michaelfloyd HB User
Worried... please respond.

hi. i'm a 24 year old male. i noticed blood in my stool over the last two weeks... it's been with pretty much every bowl movement and very visible red blood. i had this exact same symptom exactly a year ago this month and the doctor said it was hemorrhoids, gave me some proctofoam and after a few days of using that it went away... until a couple of weeks ago. same exact symptom again. bright red visible blood on the stool in streaks, a little amount of mucous, no pain or anything like that. so i went to the doctor again, he gave me a rectal exam and told me he didn't feel any hemorrhoids and said it seemed to be a "small irritation" whatever that means... and gave me some proctosol and told me to use it for 6 days and if it didn't go away by then to call him. so i started using it and it did go away for a couple of days but it didn't totally solve the problem like it did a year ago. even though it definately seemed to help the blood is still there. so i called him yesterday and since it's holidays this weekend he told me to keep using the proctosol until monday and if the blood was still there to give him a call and i'd have to have somebody look inside... he didn't seem to be too concerned and told me that it doesn't seem like anything too abnormal (i've read blood in the stool is a common symptom)... but still...

also i've had frequent itching around the anal area... and what i can only describe as "leakage" when i scratch... like a little wet spot on my underwear... this symptom also went away with the proctosol.

other than the blood i've had normal bowl movements... though today they did look a little flat... but that hasn't ever happened before...

so basically what's worrying me is that the blood hasn't gone away (though did seem to lessen and did actually go away for a couple of days after treatment) like it did last time... and the flat stools i had today... so of course i've been scouring the internet and have managed to work myself up into a frenzy about colon cancer.

i know worrying doesn't solve anything... i'm just nervous and i'd like if somebody could give me your thoughts or something. thanks a lot.

-mike

Last edited by michaelfloyd; 12-16-2003 at 01:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2003, 10:22 PM   #2

rainonwindow HB User
You might consider telling your doctor that you want a sigmoid or colonoscopy to make certain you don't have a polyp that needs to be removed. At the very least it would bring you peace of mind.

Old 11-27-2003, 10:36 PM   #3
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Re: Worried

I agree with rainonwindow, but only if the blood doesn't go away in the next few days. Tell me, is the blood mixed in with your stool or is it on the paper when you wipe? That is a very important distinction to make when investigating this problem (no matter how gross it sounds).

Also, I know that you're afraid of colon cancer since you posted this on this thread, but I want to know something, is there anyone in your immediately family that has had colon cancer, and if so, at what age were they diagnosed?

Old 11-28-2003, 12:30 AM   #4
(male)

michaelfloyd HB User

hi, thanks for the replies. my doctor has already suggested that i have, what i'm assuming will be at least a sigmoid, if it doesn't clear up by monday. so we'll see.

the blood is with the stool, not just on the toilet paper. and it's been with every BM over the last couple of weeks (since it started), except for a couple of days last week right after i started using the proctosol.

like i said in my first post, i had this exact same symptom a year ago this month, i was prescribed proctofoam that time (not cream, but foam) and the blood disappeared within a few days and didn't show up again until just a couple of weeks ago. i don't know if the two are related though.

as for people in my family... nope, no history of any kind of cancer in my immediate family that i know of... my dad was adopted so i don't really know about his side... but definately not on my mother's side.

what are the chances of someone my age getting colon cancer? i know it happens but isn't it rare? and if the bleeding was from a polyp or something would it stop for an entire year before coming back (assuming the two incidences are related)? and would something like proctosol have any effect on it?

i don't know... i'm just driving myself crazy right now. i always do this... thinking the worst. it doesn't help that i have to wait until monday to talk to my doctor and then who knows how long after that before i can find out exactly what's going on.

then of course i've read these horror stories about people getting misdiagnosed... like the doctor attributed whatever it was to hemmoroids or something and then a few years down the line they find out they have full blown cancer... so that's just another thing that's got me worried, you know? what if i go and have a sigmoid and they tell me everything's fine... but it really isn't? how would i even know?

reading over my own posts has made me realize that i think i just need to calm down a stop trying to diagnose myself on the internet. it's funny how i can say that but i can't seem to help myself.

Last edited by michaelfloyd; 11-28-2003 at 12:42 AM.

Old 12-16-2003, 01:17 PM   #5
(male)

michaelfloyd HB User

well i had my appointment with the gastro doc today. it turned out pretty much as i expected, with him asking me a bunch of questions and giving me a rectal exam. he said he felt no hemmoroids and he tested my stool for blood, which was positive (duh). and he told me that was a concern to have blood and no signs of hemmoroids. he wanted to schedule me for a colonoscopy, but i told him i don't have insurance and there's no way i can afford $1000+ right now, so he scheduled me for a flexible sigmoidoscopy instead, which is much cheaper. so i have an appointment for that that on jan. 13th (i'm kind of nervous about waiting that long, but there's nothing i can do about it due to money issues).

i asked him what the most common causes of bleeding are for my age group and he said hemmoroids number one and ulcerative colitis number two. i'm all but sure it's not hemmoroids at this point. i asked him about colon cancer and he didn't seem to be too concerned about that and told me that, unless there is a family history of colon cancer (which there isn't... in fact my family has no history of cancer at all as far as i know), that i was extremely young for that, but of course that it's not impossible.

so here i am, feeling exactly like i did before i went to the doctor. i was hoping that i would get some relief today, and i am happy that i have an appointment for a flex sig (though i wish i had some damn insurance so i could get a full colonoscopy), but i'm still scared out of my mind... even more so now actually since it now seems very unlikely that it's hemmoroids.

also, as i told the doctor, over the last month my stool has changed from normal to almost diarrhea like all the time. it doesn't alternate really, but is almost always either really soft and/or watery. this has been a slow progression over the last month or so... and the other night i actually had to get up in the middle of the night to have a BM (for the first time in my life), which was diarrhea. it started as a sudden gas build up with the urge to go. like one minute i was laying there no problems, then all of a sudden i HAD to go. has anybody else had this accompanied by blood? could this be ulcerative colitis or does it sound like something more serious?

but i guess there's nothing to do now but wait. i just wish i could enjoy christmas without having to constantly worry about this.

Old 12-17-2003, 07:16 AM   #6

minnesota13 HB User

I'm certainly no doctor, but I don't believe a tumor would cause diarrhea. I was diagnosed with colon ca last January at the age of 29 (no family history here, either), but my symptoms were blood in the stool and then extreme abdominal pain from the blockage. I never experienced any diarrhea, and I think that the typical symptom is simply a thinning of the size of the stool (as it's trying to pass through a smaller area due to the tumor). Once again, I'm not sure, but I believe there are many other things besides cancer that cause blood in the stool. I wish you the best!

Old 12-17-2003, 12:20 PM   #7

NJGUY HB User

i can understand how you feel, but you are getting yourself all worked up over what could be nothing. first and foremost, you need to relax. by seeing that doc, and posting on here, you are off to a good start, that is more than alot of people do. i recently had colonoscopy. i had some symptoms, so i thought, like blood on tpaper. to give you background, i saw blood way back when i was 35 (44 now). i freaked, shot right to the doc. i swore i had something terrible. it ended up being a small interior tear, i think they call it fissure. it occurs because of sometimes straining a little to have BM (nothing terrible, you know how it is sometimes depending on diet etc.. Well, every time, I would see blood, sometimes ALOT. As i said it ended up being a small taer. he gave me some medication cream, and after few weeks went away.

Ok, back to current day. few months ago, saw blood again, assumed it was a tear again, but again, i got nervous. the stress combined with me thinking about it all the time and worrying, made me feel kinda sick. all of a sudden, BM was either bigger than normal, or smaller, or flat, or runny etc,. etc.. had colonoscopy, they found nothing. my point-your body reacts in many many weird ways. you may be experiencing similar situation. your condition can be one of many things, not necessarily cancer, and of course, it very well may be nothing. don't read into things too much. each day is too precious, especially the holiday time. dude-you have done the right thing, making an appointment like you did is great. ok you have to wait, but feel positive that you took the right step, and just wait it out. i waited 4 weeks for my colonoscopy, seemed like forever, but it eventually came and went, it will for you too. sorry this may be long, it's just that i saw myself in your post and felt the need to reply. worrying won't change anything. i wish you well, hope we see a follow-up post from you.

Last edited by NJGUY; 12-17-2003 at 12:25 PM.

Closed Thread