It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2003, 06:33 PM   #1
(female)

Kaye2003 HB User
Husband with Rectal Cancer

My husband was diagnosed with Rectal Cancer in October. We were told bluntly by the doctor: 25 chem/rad treatments, 5 weeks off, surgery resulting in a permanent colostomy. He said there was 0% chance of not having to have the colostomy. Any advise or help regarding this would be really appreciated. We are now on our five weeks off. Has anyone ever had a doctor tell them they needed a colostomy and then got better news after surgery. Also, my husband is having trouble with hemerroids bleeding right now. Is there anything we can do to help this?
Thank you all for your time and this board. I have been reading since my husband was diagnosed. You all have been helpful and really make us feel better knowing we are not alone.
Again, God Bless and thank you all.

Old 12-29-2003, 08:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Re: Husband with Rectal Cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye2003
My husband was diagnosed with Rectal Cancer in October. We were told bluntly by the doctor: 25 chem/rad treatments, 5 weeks off, surgery resulting in a permanent colostomy. He said there was 0% chance of not having to have the colostomy. Any advise or help regarding this would be really appreciated. We are now on our five weeks off. Has anyone ever had a doctor tell them they needed a colostomy and then got better news after surgery. Also, my husband is having trouble with hemerroids bleeding right now. Is there anything we can do to help this?
Thank you all for your time and this board. I have been reading since my husband was diagnosed. You all have been helpful and really make us feel better knowing we are not alone.
Again, God Bless and thank you all.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I will be keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry to say that I can't give you any advice. I know nothing about this, but I'm sure someone will be replying soon. Becky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2003, 09:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

If your husband's cancer is too low, ie, in the rectum, then the whole rectum will come out. Such was the case for me. I have a permanent colostomy, my rectum, anus and some butt muscle was removed and, (no way to say it clinically) my butt sewn together. My cancer was very low and even if they had been able to save the anus I would likely not have had any control of it since they were cutting so close that the nerves would have suffered. My wife says that one would have to look close to see that there is no "crack" and I have gotten used to the c'stomy. It is a learning curve thing. I had a few accidents, they are disturbing and disgusting but the way I see it, it took me several years to learn how to go potty the first go 'round so it stands to reason that learning a new way to do it also will take time.

As for the 'roids, after the surgery they will no longer be any problem since even if they remain there will be no daily irritation of feces moving over them or straining of nearby muscles. It can be though of as one advantage of a c'stomy.

Old 12-29-2003, 11:30 PM   #4
(female)

Kaye2003 HB User

hollygirl05:
Thanks for the prayers. Our faith and family have helped us get this far and will continue to guide us down the right path.
jaydees:
Thanks for sharing your story and for the humor. I think God lets us find humor to be able to deal with our problems. He used you to give us some today.
Again, thank you both.....

Old 12-30-2003, 02:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Hi Kaye
My husband has bowel cancer. His original tumour was ver large/invasive and very low down. It had also spread across to his bladder. The surgeons did tell him that as it was so close to anus that he would have a bag. They did not think they would have enough material left to make a good join. BUT. the surgeon did excellent job and he is bagless. The op did affect some of the nerves to anus but we will not really know how this will leave him long term untill after his chemo and radioT finishes.

I hope this helps. I know they always warn patients they might need a bag and i suppose its best to be prepared. My cousin ( an ex catwalk model no less ) had to have a bag many years ago and once she got the hang of it you really wouldnt know.

Good luck.
Ktee

Old 12-30-2003, 07:27 AM   #6

vonniekai HB User

My husband had rectal cancer - the first surgeon bluntly stated he would have to have a permanent colostomy. We got a second opinion and the second surgeon said he could avoid having a permanent colostomy so we went with him. The cancer was 7 cm from the anal verge, which is pretty low. My husband had a temporary ileostomy, which was reversed a few months after surgery. There were a lot of problems that we weren't told about before hand - it was very hard for my husband to regain bowel control and he still has problems with it. My husband often says he wishes he would have just had the colostomy due to the problems of soreness from diarrhea caused by the additional chemo regimens he has been on since the surgery (he now has lung mets). If having a colostomy is unavoidable, make sure you get a decent surgeon who will leave a good stoma and get training from a good ostomy nurse. Most medical professionals do not know how to deal with ostomies and really suck at providing care for them. Best of luck to you.

Closed Thread