It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2004, 03:38 PM   #1
(female)

Kaye2003 HB User
PreOp Colonoscopy

My husband had his pre-op colonoscopy this morning. (Rectal cancer surgery with permanent colostomy). The doctor came in the room after the procedure and told us that my husband's tumor area was clean and looked good. Told us that he would not be doing the ? (long word meaning removal of the rectum and per. colostomy) surgery, but would be going in down there and doing a biopsy, to check for any cancer cells that might remain, and that we would have to keep it monitored. Also to call his office next week to schedule an appointment and surgery to scape the area and take the biopsy. This sounded like great news to us. GOD was really with us this morning. I was so shocked that I didn't get to ask many questions. Has this ever happened to any of you with rectal cancer? No serious surgery? And do you think he will need chemo after?

I certainly hope our news continues to be good. Like I said, we have been blessed by GOD.
Thanks for all of your help and advise. I plan on staying with the message board as I find it very comforting and will still need support no matter which way we go today or next year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2004, 08:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User
Re: PreOp Colonoscopy

I had two surgeries. The first was to be a trans-anal removal of the tumour. The surgeon explained that they would go in through my back door and remove the tumour that was only a few inches from the anus. He told me that it would be a two hour session, unless that is, they saw that the tumour was deeper than they thought. In that case they would only take a large biopsy and remove the bulk of the tumour. That would take only 45 minutes to an hour.

I woke up in the op and looked at the clock right away. Only 1 hour had passed and my heart sank.

Second surgery was rectal resection and permanent colostomy.

Your husband got what I missed it sounds like. My first surgery I was in hospital only overnight, second one was a 10 day stay.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2004, 12:13 AM   #3
(female)

Kaye2003 HB User
Re: PreOp Colonoscopy

jaydees:
Did you have chemo and radiation before your surgery?

Closed Thread