It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2004, 12:48 PM   #1

G-Boy HB User
worried

I'm 35 and scheduled for colonoscopy next week - 4 years ago had bright red rectal bleeding on toilet paper - had flex sig and gi doctor said i had internal hemmroids but everything else looked fine.....still have that bleeding from time to time but i haven't been too concerned because that test......about 6-7 months ago i noticed a change in my stools...they seemed to be more soft than usual, not diarhhea but just softer than they had been - GI doc didn't think much of it but did all sorts of blood tests (cbc, liver panel, chemistry panel) and fecal occult blood test...all bloodwork was normal but fecal occult blood test was postive on 2 of 3 slides.....gi doc says because of my on-going history of internal hemmroids that this is probably why the tests came back positive but offered me a colonoscopy if i wanted it and I decided it would be a good idea...

the only other symptoms i've been having are anal itching and a dull ache on the right side of my abdomen.....i'm worried about what the doc is going to find in my right colon since i only had flex sig last time.....the gi doc said that right colon cancers generally also present with anemia (from chronic occult bleeding) and symptoms related to that but i'm still worried because of the aching i've recently developed....i'm not too worried about the left colon since the flex sig test was completly clean 4 years ago....the doc has come out and said he is quite sure this is from hemrhoids but i can't help but worry over this...hopefully everything will work out.....

ps - i also recently have had an upper endoscopy which was clean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 02:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User
Re: worried

Hey:

No sense worrying about it until there's something to worry about. Though I think it's a good thing you scheduled a colonoscopy. The fact that you have a confirmed diagnosis of internal hemmorhoids could account for the occult bleeding. Your bloodwork was normal, and you had an upper endoscopy which was normal, so you know you're not bleeding a lot. Have you been under more stress lately? That could lead to IBS type symptoms-- looser stools, cramping, etc.

Bottom line, please try not to worry until you have something to worry about. I know it's easier said, right?? But, it looks like you are covering all your bases. Good luck with the colonoscopy, and please keep us posted with your results.

Old 05-04-2004, 01:28 PM   #3

G-Boy HB User
Smile Re: worried

I had my colonscopy yesterday and it was totally clean - no polyps or anything - i do still have internal hemmroids which is evidently where the blood was coming from......the prodecure was a ipece of cake, the prep was the worst part.....my thoughts and prayers go out to all those who are battling colon cancer and i encourag e anyone who has rectal bleeding to be sure to get checked out and not assume it's hemmroids....

Old 05-04-2004, 02:34 PM   #4
(female)

KrFr HB User

G-Boy, so glad to hear your good news! The procedure is a piece of cake and the prep was the worst part, I agree. Congrats!

Old 05-04-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

G-boy-- I'm so glad everything checked out ok. You are right-- the prep is the worst part... I always say, use plenty of baby diaper rash ointment to avoid irritation!! Congrats and don't hesitate to contact the board in the future with any questions.

Old 07-04-2004, 04:07 PM   #6

pasquale HB User

Hi guys , I'm heading to my GP this coming thursday to have him book me an appointment for some tests .I've had bouts of bloody/mucous stools which last a week or so at a time then go away for long stretches.However , my most recent bout has lasted about 3 weeks up til present .I've been taking meds for arthritis since age 22 (I am now 38)and one of the listed side effects is stomach bleeding .

Aside from having bloody stools and having to have a bowel movement more often than usual I feel fine , no stomach pain (only when I feel its time for a bowel movement I feel a bit of urgency until I've relieved myself )

I've always wondered if I have internal hemmoroids that cause my problem .I had my wife check my anus(she is a nurse) to see if I have any external hemms , but I dont .What other symptoms are there for internal hemmoroids ?diharrea ?constipation ??

My wheels are really spinning .I defeinately have symptoms of ulcerative colitis or a handful of other probs , like irritible bowel (as I have been under alot of stress lately)

I guess as cancerdad says , dont worry until you have something to worry about .

I'm happy to have found this message board , talk to you fellas soon

Old 07-04-2004, 07:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Pasquale:

Good luck with your tests on Thursday. My guess is you will probably be scheduled for a colonoscopy. But please come back and keep us posted as to how you are doing.

You're right... like I always say, try not to worry until you're given something to worry about. NSAIDs can certainly cause bleeding in your stomach... typically you will have darker colored blood if the root is from higher in the GI tract... you didn't mention color.

In any event, try to relax until you have testing done, and good for you for getting it checked out! Welcome to the board!

Regards,
James aka CancerDad

PS Internal hemorhoids will cause bright red bleeding, pain, itching, etc.

Old 07-04-2004, 09:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

Cancer Dad advises diaper rash ointment while prepping. Good idea. I can add that Prep H slathered on will also do the trick.

G-Boy, good to hear. I can sense the absolute relief you feel in your post.

Pasquale , keep us posted please. There may be more that someone here can help with no matter what the outcome of your tests.

Closed Thread