It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2003, 08:49 AM   #1

panic stricken! HB User
Post found a small tumor in sigmoid yesterday!

I have had in the past months intermittent blood in my stool. Not all the time, so I thought it most likely was the foods I was eating ... jalapenos...or stress, or internal hemmoroids. Anyway, I finally made the decision to see my doc this past Friday. I gave him my symptoms and he seemed quite sure it must be a IBS, since no history of CC in my family. He told me to come in Sat. am for a sigmoid scope. While I felt pretty confident, since I really felt great. he did the scope and said the rectum looked great, but I have a small tumor on the sigmoid part of the colon. Talk about my whole life stopping at that moment. I have a referral to a surgeon on Tuesday, of course its the long holiday weekend, longest weekend I will probably every experience. I guess I'm just looking for some other people that have gone through similar situation, where the surgery lead them... Please post, I feel very alone and inexplainable distraught.

Old 08-31-2003, 01:40 PM   #2

BibiGirl HB User
Red face

jalapenos...or stress, or internal hemmoroids
Well if I ate jalapenos it would just about kill me.
I've been diagnoised with Anusitis, after having blood w/stools & cronic anal pain for a long time, although no tumors were present, a tumor could easily be benign, I've read it over & over again where people worry needlessly (worry causes stress). I'm told hemmorhoids rarely cause bleeding, but Anusitis is often the case of rectal bleeding (bright red)caused by diet & or stress and should avoid coffee/cola drinks/beer/garlic/spices/spicy sauces/pizza/curries, maybe even citrus fruits/juices & chocolate. So try to enjoy the rest of the holiday wkend & stay away from those hot peppers. Appearantly Anusitis is hard to detect as it is inflammation of the anal canal, which is just inside the anal opening, if a sigmoid is not done very slowly on the way out it won't be seen. Stay calm & please do post back after your Tues. app't.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2003, 09:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User
panic, I understand the fear that the one word can engender. When the doctor said "I'm not saying it is cancer but it isn't a hemorrhoid and I want you to see a surgeon" I went out to my car and cried. I didn't know how to tell my wife.

On the other hand , mine was 2.5 cm across, not particularily small. Yours may well be small enough to be removed using the colonoscope rather than invasive surgery. If so you will be out of hospital in a few hours or perhaps stay overnight.

Worst case would be surgery and a colostomy. In the sigmoid region though they probably will be able to save part of the rectum and therefore reconnect you later(reverse the colostomy).

Best case would be it isn't cancerous and they snip it out to be safe and you have to get a colonoscopy(careful, don't mix up the words ,, colonoscopy and colostomy) every year or two.

At any rate, kick back, have a drink, eat your favorite food and relax. Worrying will not make anything better and will not speed the time to your next appointment.

Old 09-01-2003, 12:06 AM   #4

panic stricken! HB User
Thank you soooooo much for the responses. CAn I ask if the doc says its a tumor looks like cancer, is that something that can be told just by looking from a sigmoid scope? He told me the tumor is small> but that it needs to be removed. He said that it was ulcerated and thats where my bleeding is coming from. My bleeding as I said has been on and off for more than several months. I have not been able to sleep or eat since my visit on Sat. Please help.

Old 09-01-2003, 12:13 AM   #5

panic stricken! HB User
Jaydee
The doc told me that the tumor is in a spot where they will go in surgical and cut that part of the colon out and reattach. He said it was better place than in the rectum which could not be reattached. He already said I will need abdominal surgery. So maybe the tumor isnt sooooo small like he said? I dont know what to think. How was your outcome and how long ago where you treated? Thanks for listening

Old 09-01-2003, 02:43 PM   #6

ats HB User
Talking

Stay calm ,wait until you see your dr.they will probably take a biopsy and send you for a ct scan.Everything caught early even if in the worst case is malignant,which in many many cases is just benign is very treatable.Dont Panic!!

Old 09-03-2003, 05:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User
My cancer was in the rectum, only a few inches from the anus so as your doctor said there was no reattachment. I have a permanent colostomy now.( 2 years plus )

Sometimes with tumours such as yours they will put in a colostomy temporarily, for 6 months or a year then reattach later rather than do it all at once. This is usually only if the tumour is large though I believe.

They will probably just do the surgery and remove it then send the tumour to the pathology lab for a full diagnoses. It is then that it will be determined what, if any, further course of action will be taken. The pathology lab will slice the tumour into thin sections and look at them under a microscope. This is how they determine IF it is cancer and if so, how far into the colon it had gone. If it isn't detected past the inner wall or the first layer of muscle tissue (assuming they do find cancerous cells) then they might not do any chemo or radiation. In my case it had gone to the outer wall of the colon but had not involved any other tissue or the lymph nodes. I got 6 months chemo with 5 weeks of radiation.

Where your tumour is , the taking out of a section of colon may result in your stool being a little looser than normal. It depends how much they remove. The further up the more that becomes a problem since the colon's job is to reclaim water.

My recovery was 10 days in hospital but yours isn't as severe so I would expect less time. I did not require any blood transfusion, I didn't lose much blood(good surgeon).

You will probably be advised to get a colonoscopy in one year after the surgery and if a polyp is found then again the year after that. If no polyp then a colonoscopy every 3 to 5 years. This may be recommened regardless of whether or not this growth is determined to be cancer just to be on the safe side.

I know a colonoscopy is expensive in the states but get it done. In Canada they are covered by healthcare but I had one then ignored going back for 6 years. If I had followed the doc's advice and gone in for one the year before I might still sit to poo.(dummy, dummy, dummy!) oh well c'est la vie, c'est la guerre.

Closed Thread