It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
(male)

saarust HB User
My Surgeon Changed His Opinion!

Hi to all,

Can anyone please offer their thoughts on this?
I was operated on for colorectal surgury on 4/18/05 and my surgeon promised
me that the temporary eliostomy will be reversed in 6 weeks.

I was under lot of pain for few months until my doctor did another procedure for an infection that took care of the pain supposubily. And it has four month since surgery and my surgeon keeps tell me there are scar tissue and that my
rectum is narrow. I been going to him for dialation of the rectum and colon every week and it is very painfull and unconfortable; just few days ago he told me that it is narrow down there and that I may need permanant colostomy. This shocking news to me and made very depressed and made me confused and untrusting my surgeon.

Could anyone please tell wether I should just my surgeon or try to get another opinion?

Sincerely Sam

Old 08-04-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User
Re: My Surgeon Changed His Opinion!

Sam,
Unfortunately, this is true. There are procedures you can have done if your sphincters are fully intact... Look into a search on rectoplasty/anoplasty. Doctors can perform procedures to open the stricture.

I am in EXACTLY the same boat you are in, only my tumor was so low my anal sphincters were affected... in which case you lose continency, etc. BEFORE having that bag reversed, make sure you look into this. I wish I knew how common this can be with rectal cancer... even colon cancer. (BTW With Colon Ca they can use stents to hold the stricture open). I have a ton of scar tissue, and am on serious pain killers since they reversed my ileostomy 1 1/2 years ago and I have have to dilate daily on top of them doing it.
I wish I had the luxury of having a bag to take my time in getting another opinion. Keep in mind, with nothing passing below the bag to keep pressure up and you dilated, you ARE going to close up naturally. This, too, may be the case for you. I would be certain though before that ileostomy is reversed.

Best of Luck,
CancerDad

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2005, 12:40 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Mazrose HB User

ohhhh Sam (and CD)
I didnt want to hear this news!!! I have a temp ileostomy and have to have a few more dilations before they do my reversal... OHh I SO DONT want a permanent bag.

Maz

Old 08-05-2005, 05:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Hey, it happens for some people... and luckily for most, it isn't a big issue-- the opening is big enough, and no restructuring is necessary. However, for those of us that have bodies that react this way, and are sick of dilating, a permanent bag is NOT THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD. At Least We're Here to talk about it!! This is my glass half full view.

~CD

Last edited by CancerDad; 08-05-2005 at 05:02 PM.

Closed Thread