It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
(male)

pghines HB User
?? about Ileostomy

I had an ileostomy Feb of 2008. I have trouble with the barriers leaking. I am currently on the 7th barrier since last Friday am and this is Wed am. We have called our hospital support people and I seem to be doing what they say. Has anyone else experienced this sort of trouble. It is very upsetting.
I use the barrier wipe. It is completely dry and clean. the stoma does not stick out very far, could this be it. Approx 1/4" on one side and about 3/8" on the other end. Not equal at all. I dont have to cut the barrier anymore, not easy to fit over but good fit once it comes thru. What do you use for the skin irration. Right now very irritated from changing so often. Any help appreciated. Thanks Paulie

Old 07-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
(female)

JoAnn200 HB User
Re: ?? about Ileostomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghines View Post
I had an ileostomy Feb of 2008. I have trouble with the barriers leaking. I am currently on the 7th barrier since last Friday am and this is Wed am. We have called our hospital support people and I seem to be doing what they say. Has anyone else experienced this sort of trouble. It is very upsetting.
I use the barrier wipe. It is completely dry and clean. the stoma does not stick out very far, could this be it. Approx 1/4" on one side and about 3/8" on the other end. Not equal at all. I dont have to cut the barrier anymore, not easy to fit over but good fit once it comes thru. What do you use for the skin irration. Right now very irritated from changing so often. Any help appreciated. Thanks Paulie
Hi Paulie, I just joined today so this is first time for everything. What kind of supplies did you get for your stoma? I have some powder I can put on to help dry the area, then I wipe it off. I also have a spray that is very soothing I use around the stoma when I am changing the bag. Maybe you should talke to a nurse about what supplies you could order that would help. JoAnn200

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
(female)

zimagirl79 HB User

You may need to use some sort of adapter ring. I had a colostomy that was sort of in a crease and an adapter helped fill in that extra space. Can you make an appointment to see the support person so they can take a look at what you're doing and wearing?
Stoma powder will help with the irritation, especially if you are able to leave the barrier off for a bit to give it a chance to air out some. You have to brush it off to allow the barrier to stick well.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
(female)

denise1956 HB User

Quote:
i had anileostomy placed on may23, 2007 due to rectal cancer. this was to be a tempory situation until my reversal took place in feb 2008. the reversal went bad which resulted in keeping the pouch until my next reversal which is to take place aug 20, 2008. i have had many problems with the pouch over the last 15 months. i have had 2 differnet stomas due to all the complications and surgeries i have had over the last 15 months.
i have worked with 2 different stomas and know more about pouches then i ever wanted to know!
my first stoma was very short, and pointed off center. i went through months of trying to find the best pouch for me. thank goodness for my wonderful osteo nurse.
they gave me the traditional flat pouch in the hospital. this did not work for me at all. i sometimes went through 3 a day...i was very raw, irritated and bloodly. they fell off often. waking up in the middle of the night in poop was a common experiance. after about 3 months of trying many different types of pouchs i found the convex worked best for me. i also use the eakin seal. i only use 1/4 of the seal. after finding the convex pouch and the eakin seal, i was safe until my first reversal. when this surgery went bad, i came out of the surgery with a new stoma. longer and sraight. perfect. after 5 weeks in the hospital, and three more surgeries, with all my complications, they once again sent me home with the traditional flat pouch. because a hernia resulted under my stoma from the surgery, i felt the flat pouch would work best, because i didn't want to have the convex pouch pushing on my hernia. i again tried the flat pouch with my new and improved stoma. no go! after several weeks of failures, i went back to my old way of the seal and the convex pouch. it is once again successful.
i can't wait for my next reversal! oh yea, for the irritated skin...the medical supply company has stoma powder and spay to seal the powder before affixing the seal and pouch.
i hope this helps. good luck.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
(female)

denise1956 HB User

don't use the wipe to remove the adhisive from your belly when changing the pouch. it contains alcahol and will not allow the new pouch to stick. it removes that new adhisive as well!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
(female)

denise1956 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise1956 View Post
i had anileostomy placed on may23, 2007 due to rectal cancer. this was to be a tempory situation until my reversal took place in feb 2008. the reversal went bad which resulted in keeping the pouch until my next reversal which is to take place aug 20, 2008. i have had many problems with the pouch over the last 15 months. i have had 2 differnet stomas due to all the complications and surgeries i have had over the last 15 months.
i have worked with 2 different stomas and know more about pouches then i ever wanted to know!
my first stoma was very short, and pointed off center. i went through months of trying to find the best pouch for me. thank goodness for my wonderful osteo nurse.
they gave me the traditional flat pouch in the hospital. this did not work for me at all. i sometimes went through 3 a day...i was very raw, irritated and bloodly. they fell off often. waking up in the middle of the night in poop was a common experiance. after about 3 months of trying many different types of pouchs i found the convex worked best for me. i also use the eakin seal. i only use 1/4 of the seal. after finding the convex pouch and the eakin seal, i was safe until my first reversal. when this surgery went bad, i came out of the surgery with a new stoma. longer and sraight. perfect. after 5 weeks in the hospital, and three more surgeries, with all my complications, they once again sent me home with the traditional flat pouch. because a hernia resulted under my stoma from the surgery, i felt the flat pouch would work best, because i didn't want to have the convex pouch pushing on my hernia. i again tried the flat pouch with my new and improved stoma. no go! after several weeks of failures, i went back to my old way of the seal and the convex pouch. it is once again successful.
i can't wait for my next reversal! oh yea, for the irritated skin...the medical supply company has stoma powder and spay to seal the powder before affixing the seal and pouch.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
(female)

denise1956 HB User

Old 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
(female)

sooty234 HB User

Quote:
Hi, am new to this site, I had the same surgery june this year, and the same sore skin, leakage etc for the sore skin as horrible as it might sound fresh air, i sat with a small pot so it would not leak every where and let the skin air for an hour a time, and i shower without my bag on to.

The nurse gave me the same as you barrier creams etc but for me they just seemed to stop the bag sticking, but i use two extra seals which seem to help a bit, one under (like a washer) and what I call half moon tapes.

Hope you feel better soon.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #9
(female)

ashfat HB User

Paulie

My Mom is having same issues as you. One thing we are doing which is helping.. when we take off a soiled barrier we use and medical adhesive remover and wipe off any old adhesive as it can build up. Then wash with soap and water and rinse. For irritation one thing that really helps is, believe it or not, milk of magnesia. We use a makeup remover pad, dip in the milk of magnesia, wipe the area all over. Dry with hair dryer. It may turn a white colour when dry. Then use the barrier wipe or spray over this. Let that dry. After we put the flange and bag on I make my mom lay down with her hand over the flange to warm it for about 10 minutes. Seems to help. We are waiting for free samples from Convatec for a different type on flange. If it works I'll let you know immediately. It is convex or something like that.

Ashfat

The Following User Says Thank You to ashfat For This Useful Post:
geme (01-07-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 06:02 AM   #10
(female)

denise1956 HB User
Thumbs up Re: ?? about Ileostomy

good morning.
when i had my ileostomy the seal kept breaking. i couldn't understand what i was doing wrong. i used the wipe to clean the area, used the powder and spray and still it would come loose. then..
i called my osteo nurse and told her my problem. she reminded me that the wipe that i was using to clean the stoma area had alcahol in it. and for the same reason it cleaned the old adhesive off, it kept the new adhesive from sticking. i stopped using the wipes. i only used soap and water, then the powder and spray. i made this powder application very thick. problem solved!
try not using the wipes....i hope this works!

fyi: on jan 26, 2011 it will be 4 years since i was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer. i went through hell to get here...but i am, and i feel great!
peace

Old 01-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
(female)

ashfat HB User

Denise

The reason we tried the medical adhesive remover is because my Mom's ileostomy was leaking all the time and a nurse said we may be getting a build up of glue from the barriers because we had to change them so often and maybe this build up was preventing the new barrier from sticking. After using the adhesive remover we would wash the area with soapy water, then rinse with clear water, then power and spray. So I think we were getting all the adhesive remover off. Either way, whether we use the adhesive remover or not, my Mom's bag is always leaking. Nothing is working. We have just tried the convex flanges from Convatec and we are lasting for 42 hours but not even getting two days out of them. We've tried both the moldable convex flanges as well as the convex with a precut opening my Mom's size. Nothing, nothing, nothing is working. We don't have access to anyone who specializes in ileostomies here so we are really stuck and don't know what to do next.

Any ideas?????

Ashfat

Old 01-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #12
(female)

denise1956 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashfat View Post
Denise

The reason we tried the medical adhesive remover is because my Mom's ileostomy was leaking all the time and a nurse said we may be getting a build up of glue from the barriers because we had to change them so often and maybe this build up was preventing the new barrier from sticking. After using the adhesive remover we would wash the area with soapy water, then rinse with clear water, then power and spray. So I think we were getting all the adhesive remover off. Either way, whether we use the adhesive remover or not, my Mom's bag is always leaking. Nothing is working. We have just tried the convex flanges from Convatec and we are lasting for 42 hours but not even getting two days out of them. We've tried both the moldable convex flanges as well as the convex with a precut opening my Mom's size. Nothing, nothing, nothing is working. We don't have access to anyone who specializes in ileostomies here so we are really stuck and don't know what to do next.

Any ideas?????

Ashfat

Old 01-15-2011, 05:00 AM   #13
(female)

denise1956 HB User

good morning.
i know how frustrating this is.
i forgot to mention that i used an eakin seal. you ordre these from the medical supply company you get your other supplys from. this is kinda like a washer to a screw. it is a sticky, circle that sits between the powder and the pouch. after spraying the area and putting the powder on...and use a lot. i know it says to only make a thin layer, but because i was so raw, a nurse showed me it was ok to put it on thicker. then put on the seal. but, before you put the seal on...the seal is kinda thick and bigger then i needed, so my osteo nurse showed me how to cut a quarter of the seal off...cut it like you would cut a pizza in quarters. squeeze it and form the quarter part of the seal into a smaller, thinner version of the orginal seal, making it fit around the stoma. then stick it on the skin and apply the pouch over it, pressing it on tight. it will kinda ooze out the inside tword the stoma. that's ok. it will also swell up after some time it is in place.
i wish i could show you how to do this. i am trying my best to explain how...but i know it is tricky to understan. give it a try and let me know how it goes. good luck!

Old 01-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #14
(female)

ashfat HB User
Unhappy Re: ?? about Ileostomy

Hi Denise

Already tried the Eakin seal and used it just like you said. It doesn't work for us either. When I say it seems we have tried "everything", we have tried "everything". I don't know how people can live with this. It makes my Mom house bound because she doesn't dare go anywhere. She is afraid to have people over because this thing leaks at the most inopportune times. The cost is out of this world. ??????? Don't know what to do anymore. But thanks for keeping in touch. It is nice to know someone cares enough to try and help us. We are getting no help from the medical hospital/staff here.

Closed Thread