It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
(female)

sls66 HB User
SOMEONE please help...colon/stomach cancer?

I am in a complete panic lately thinking I may have either stomach or colon cancer. I have been having stomach issues for the past month and part of oct. I had a 2 week bout of diarrhea, weight loss, no appetite, full after eating, high health anxiety. Went to the ER and they did a CT scan w/out contrast (im allergic) that was negative, blood panel that was negative and an fecal occult test that they said was negative (but were only able to test mucus from my stool due to diarrhea) and sent me home. Said I had a bladder infection and that was that. Symptoms got a bit better and I was actually eating some. Then boom, it hits me again and now I have off and on constipation and straining. Sometimes feeling as if my bowels aren't completely emptied and other times I am ok. Rectal ache and very very small streak of blood on tissue once and light light pink. My stomach feels heavy and bloated. Sometimes I get a pain under my left breast after eating or drinking, and I will burp or sometimes hiccup. I am 43 and was also told I am probably in perimenopause, which is exacerbating my anxiety alot. My GYN said possible IBS. I also had an abdominal ultrasound 2 days ago, that was negative. I made an appt with a gastroenterologist and can't get in until Jan 13th. ANY one with history of colon/stomach cancer or any advice or help about my symptoms can you please write me! I am going insane over this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
(female)

Anders HB User
Re: SOMEONE please help...colon/stomach cancer?

Sis66,

I'm sorry this is happening to you, I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm really going to stress that you get a colonoscopy. I was 46 when I was diagnosed. A colonoscopy is the only true way to find the cause of your problems. Honestly anything here (a web board) is just speculation. If your primary Dr will not give you a referral, find another doctor, a doctor that will listen to you and your symptoms. By the fact that you find blood, that should warrant a colonoscopy. Your symptoms can be cause by many things, cancer is just one possible cause, but again, a colonoscopy is the only way to find the cause.

Good luck, if you wish to communicate more, let me know.

Lee

Old 01-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
(female)

sls66 HB User

Hi Lee..thank you for replying to me. I am going to the gastro doc this wed. and I am sure he will suggest a colonoscopy. I am just so scared. I have had a bout of cancer in 1994 from cervical cancer and cancer is always in the back of my mind, I guess. I'm sorry about your bout w/cancer. Can I ask what your symptoms were? O, I am 43 also. I am afraid of the colonoscopy too..so as you can see im full of anxiety which doesn't make this easier!
thanks again..

Old 01-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
(female)

Anders HB User

Hi sls,

I was 46 when I was diagnosed, my only symptom was occassional rectal bleeding that my Dr confirmed were my hemmerroids. All those tests that Dr use to determine if a colonocopy is necessary came back negative or normal. In the end, Dr figured my rectal bleeding would be a good excuse to get my colonoscopy early in life. That recommendation probably saved my life, as I was dealing with stage IIIC rectal cancer. That was in 2004 and I'm NED (No Evidence of Disease) today.

While colonoscopies are not fun, there are worst procedures out there. The worst part is the prep work the day before when you can not eat food and must take certain pills or solutions to help clear out your bowels. I recommend eating soft foods the day before the prep work. During the procedure itself, they will give you something to relax you and that usually knocks one out. You should not feel it. Please get that colonoscopy, don't settle for anything less. Don't let a Dr assume you just have hemmerroids, or IBS or something else simply because of your age, thus too young for a colonoscopy. Your life is too important to settle for an assumption. You want the cause of your problems, not just an assumption.

Many year ago, my mother was admitted into the ER with serious stomach pain, rectal bleeding and a host of other symptoms. Dr was 99% sure she had colon cancer, the colonoscopy was to confirm it. They did not find cancer anywhere, not even a polyp, she had a bad case of drivertricous (sp????). A few days on medicine, a change in her diet (ie no more popcorn), problem went away and never came back.

Fast forward 10+ years, I'm seeing a GI doctor for rectal bleeding, all else is fine, all they expect to find is hemerroids. I'm diagnosed with cancer. I'm telling you this, because my experience with colon cancer is it's a silent killer.

Please let me know how it goes, I will be praying for you.

Lee

Old 01-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
(female)

Anders HB User

sls,

I forgot to add, while this is easier said than done, try not to worry, especially about it being cancer. Cancer is just one possible cause out of many possible causes. Keep a journal of what foods are easier to handle than others. I will be glad to help anyway I can.

Anders

Old 01-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
(female)

sls66 HB User

Thank you so much for helping me out. I really appreciate it. Everyone around me keeps saying, "O its probably nothing..O, it's just nerves, etc" but I dont care if it nothing or nerves, I want answers and confirmation that everything is okay. I am with you that better safe than sorry. It's all scary to me but I need to plow ahead and go through with it. I will let you know what they say and how it goes. I thank you again!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
(female)

Anders HB User

sls,

I believe your seeing a GI doc today, hope it goes well for you. Let me know.

Anders

Old 01-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
(female)

sls66 HB User

HI there..

thanks for checking up on me. I did see the gastro doc today. He was wonderful and put my mind at ease. He did an exam and asked questions. He told me that there's a 5% chance that I have colon/stomach cancer and that he suspects it's something more like a continuing virus. He doesn't like the weight loss even when I told him I haven't been eating as much as I normally do. Probably from being so anxious about all this. Anyways, he suggested a endoscopy/colonoscopy. I went ahead and scheduled it for next wed. BUT I am so apprehensive! Im scared to be put out...then I read where some people where awake during the procedure because the drugs didn't work and could feel everything! UGH! Then Im scared of the prep beforehand and what happens if I have a reaction it or something? Then Im scared of a possible bad diagnosis. Anyways as you can see I am one big ball of nerves and I have NO idea what to do...the doctor said if I wanted to cancel the appt at the last minute then that was up to me and he would understand..
that's it in a nutshell! thanks for being concerned....

Old 01-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
(female)

Anders HB User

sls,

Glad to hear you went to the Dr, and it sounds like everything is going to be O.K. While I agree the prep work is NOT a fun experience, please keep the appt. have the colonoscopy, then move on. Something tells me if you don't do this now, it will always be in the back of you mind coming out to bug you anytime something is wrong. Have the colonoscopy, get result and have peace of mind.

If you should wake during the procedure, they should be able to give you more sedative if you want it. I actually heard of people watching the procedure and not wanting to go back to sleep. Curosity overrode any discomfort. I guess I've always slept through it, once I felt something towards the end of my procedure, but personally, getting your teeth drilled on is far more uncomfortable.

I used to be able to handle the prep solution prior to my surgery without much fuss. I think you will do fine. It's since my surgery and more importantly having a portion of my colon removed that the prep work now bothers me. But really the worst part is not being able to eat for 24 hours (jello helps fool the stomach into believing you ate).

As for the diagnoses itself, one step at a time, I agree the chances of you having colon cancer are small, but do find out for sure, keep that appt. I will be glad to help any way I can. Good luck,

Anders

Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
(female)

sue46 HB User

Good luck, let us know how you get on next week

I had an endoscopy last week and am having a colonoscopy in 2 weeks time, look forward to you sharing your experience with us.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
(female)

Hellokitty7777 HB User

Hi ya. it sounds like your symptos are of IBS. you have mucus and bleeding. and the bleeding is in a streak. get that checked as it could be a pylop. they also have new cameras today which can bend in your colon. that way they can see under the folds of the colon.

You also may have UC if you do feel free to talk to me.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
(female)

sls66 HB User

Hi you guys...
Wanted to let you know that I went through with my colonoscopy/endoscopy this past wed. I was scared, but the drugs worked really good! The prep wasnt that bad at all. Anyways, doctor left me a note and said that endoscopy showed no ulcers. Colonoscopy showed no cancer, no polyps and no colitis. He did take biopsies. I hope this is routine and not because of cancer?! I havent gotten the results back yet. I am feeling okay. I was very sore yesterday and today I am nauseated? Hope this is normal too. Thanks for all your help and reassuring me that things would go well. I appreciate it.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:20 AM   #13
(female)

sue46 HB User

thanks for letting us know how you got on and good to hear everything was fine

I have mine to look forward to on the 1st March.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
(female)

sls66 HB User

Good luck!!! It really isn't that bad. I fretted over nothing, really. I did discover that I have a stomach infection from eating contaminated food. I am on meds for 3 months. This virus attacks the nerves of the intestines and causes all sorts of spasms, etc. I am feeling better but still not 100%. Thanks!!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
(female)

purity dee HB Userpurity dee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls66 View Post
Hi you guys...
Wanted to let you know that I went through with my colonoscopy/endoscopy this past wed. I was scared, but the drugs worked really good! The prep wasnt that bad at all. Anyways, doctor left me a note and said that endoscopy showed no ulcers. Colonoscopy showed no cancer, no polyps and no colitis. He did take biopsies. I hope this is routine and not because of cancer?! I havent gotten the results back yet. I am feeling okay. I was very sore yesterday and today I am nauseated? Hope this is normal too. Thanks for all your help and reassuring me that things would go well. I appreciate it.
I am so happy for you!
I am having a colonsocopy tomorrow, I am terrified of the prep and procedure and that I will wake up to hear horrific news. I am experinecing mild anal discomfort and very mild burning sensation when having a BM,no blood, no flat stools, my doc says its hemorrhoids but I am a worry wart so I am assuming the worst! Especially because I was diagnosed with high risk HPV, now I thing I have everything bad. Please wish me luck as I am very scared!

Closed Thread