It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
(female)

scared7 HB User
HPV Typing, costs, benefits, etc.

A little background: I was recently told that I have High Risk HPV and CIN-1. I am 22 years old, so they said that they just want to watch it to see because it will most likely rid itself.

Here is my question. I do not know what specific strains that I have, and should I seek this out? I asked my doctor and he said that knowing the strains will not change how they would go about treating me and so it really reaps no benefit and is very costly.

So how costly is it? What are the most common strains of high risk HPV? I just want to gain more knowledge. I am beyond the freaking out stage, but I just feel depressed. I am very concerned about oral cancer and/or anal cancer from this. I am trying to rid my mind of it... but I just can't. I have had 3 partners... I've been with my fiance for 3 years... and I just worry.

Help please

Old 05-17-2010, 03:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User
Re: HPV Typing, costs, benefits, etc.

I've done a lot of reading on HPV, and the most common strains of high risk HPV seem to be HPV 16 and 18 because they are mentioned the most in the articles I've read.

I don't know about testing for strains, but I was wondering if your fiance has high risk HPV also, because if he does you won't know it because he won't have symptoms and there is no medical testing for men.

If I were you I would want to know what strains I have because if I acquired different strains in the future, it might mean my fiance is cheating and infecting me with other strains that I didn't have before. I would probably pay for the testing myself if my insurance didn't pay for strain testing, if it's even possible to get a strain test.

Assuming your fiance has HPV too, I wonder what happens if your system clears it, but his doesn't, or his infection doesn't clear at the same time as yours. Do you keep getting reinfected from him? Did your doctor bring up the issue of your fiance possibly being infected and the consequences to you (I'm just curious)? There are consequences to your boyfriend also, he (and you) may have HPV 16 or 18 in the saliva and could be at risk for oral cancer which can be transmitted by French kissing only, even if no other contact took place, and from what I have read, there is no saliva testing for men or women, but women who have a positive HPV/DNA test are more likely to have HPV in their saliva also.

My Mom had a problem with h-pylori (stomach infection) a few years ago, she wasn't getting rid of it after two rounds of antibiotics, so we had her boyfriend tested for h-pylori to see if he was infecting her, but he tested negative, and finally after the third round of antibiotics Mom tested negative also.

I hope I didn't make you more worried, but you should learn as much as you can to protect yourself from HPV going forward, and if I were you I would keep up to date on the latest information regarding HPV. I wouldn't rely your doctor's comments to be 100% accurate either.

Last edited by jacal5; 05-17-2010 at 03:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: HPV Typing, costs, benefits, etc.

I have no idea how expensive it is, but if it weren't too much, I'd want to know. 16 and 18 cause the most cases of cancer, but there are a few others that are far more aggressive that require a more aggressive treatment, while others are far less to worry about.

Personally, if it turned out I had one of the very aggressive strains (very rare) I sure as heck hope my doctor's treatment would be different! At the very least, it should make them schedule more frequent tests.

That said, at your age, chances are high you will just clear it and the watch-and-wait approach is the norm.

Also, you can't be re-infected with same strain of a virus. Infections and viruses are completely different and shouldn't be compared. And if you and your fiance have been together for 3 years, you have already exchanged everything you're going to.

Closed Thread