It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
(female)

sognoazzuro HB User
HPV and condoms

There are some facts that I am just not sure if I have straight. If you can, please tell me true or false and correct the false statements that I am making.

If you have the HPV virus in your blood and you are not experiencing an outbreak of warts and you wear a condom during sex, chances are good that the penis will be protected but not necessarily the mans testicles because those could touch the womans genitals and if there is a contagious spot even if there are no warts, he could catch the HPV on his testicles.

If you have low risk HPV and have not shown any warts in over 2 years, you should inform your partner that you had HPV, inform them of anything they want to know regarding it and let them know that if they choose to have sex with you, they will probably get it especially if there is no condom in use (given there is alternative birth control method) but even if they do get it and it is low risk/genital warts, it's not going to lead to cancer for them. If anything, they could experience warts during times of stress and weak immune system.

If you haven't had a break out in several years and your colposcopy comes back mild (not high risk/pre-cancerous) your future children or pregnancy should have no issues.

If you have low risk HPV, you can't pass it onto your children during pregnancy.

What if you are overweight but exercise and eat healthy? what does that do for the virus?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: HPV and condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sognoazzuro View Post
There are some facts that I am just not sure if I have straight. If you can, please tell me true or false and correct the false statements that I am making.

If you have the HPV virus in your blood and you are not experiencing an outbreak of warts and you wear a condom during sex, chances are good that the penis will be protected but not necessarily the mans testicles because those could touch the womans genitals and if there is a contagious spot even if there are no warts, he could catch the HPV on his testicles.
HPV is not a blood born virus. It is transmitted by skin to skin contact. For that reason, a condom only covers some genital skin, not all. The female condom covers more skin than a traditional condom. Skin to skin contact, for example between scrotum and vulva, does not mean that any possibly-developed problem would necessarily occur in that location. It might show up somewhere else.

Quote:
If you have low risk HPV and have not shown any warts in over 2 years, you should inform your partner that you had HPV, inform them of anything they want to know regarding it and let them know that if they choose to have sex with you, they will probably get it especially if there is no condom in use (given there is alternative birth control method) but even if they do get it and it is low risk/genital warts, it's not going to lead to cancer for them. If anything, they could experience warts during times of stress and weak immune system.
I'm not totally sure what you are asking. Low risk HPV (which can lead to genital (oral/throat, anal/rectal, vaginal, vulvar, cervical) warts does not (as far as what I've read so far) ever lead to cancer. Cancer is caused by strains of high risk HPV (which they do not lead to genital warts).

Quote:
If you haven't had a break out in several years and your colposcopy comes back mild (not high risk/pre-cancerous) your future children or pregnancy should have no issues. If you have low risk HPV, you can't pass it onto your children during pregnancy.
I don't know if any one knows this conclusively. I think the odds are against a woman transmitting low risk HPV to a baby (during vaginal delivery) if the woman hasn't had a wart outbreak in years. Don't quote me on that, though.

Quote:
What if you are overweight but exercise and eat healthy? what does that do for the virus?
Living a healthy life style (exercise, healthy foods, no smoking, very little or no alcohol, low stress, etc) leads to the body's immune system being stronger. This means any virus (or bacteria) is fought more effectively than a body that has a immocompromised system.

Closed Thread