It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
(male)

acharos HB User
can my partner and I have different types of HPV virus

My girlfriends PAP tested positive for the high risk potentially cancerous HPV. She is going to get a HPV test to see which strain she has.
I was found to have a gential wart when she told me to see my doctor which i already got froze off. i have a follow up in 2 weeks.
Is my HPV type infection a different strain then hers?
If yes, how can that be?
we have been together for 16 months with no other partners

Old 05-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: can my partner and I have different types of HPV virus

It is absolutely likely you both have complications from different strains of HPV; but you probably both have the same strains. Her body might be able to fight off the low risk strain(s) of HPV that you have so she doesn't have genital warts. You may or may not have an active high risk infection (which is causing her problems) because 1) there is no inexpensive, comfortable, commonly used test for men and 2) men don't usually have problems that are caused by high risk HPV.

The test that detects specific strains of active HPV infections is not typically used. It is expensive, not usually covered by insurance, and doesn't alter the treatment of low risk or high risk infections. Most women who know they are positive for high risk HPV do not know specifically which strain(s) they have.

I hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
(male)

acharos HB User

Thanks for the information. Very helpful indeed

Old 05-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are welcome.

One more comment. HPV is not a good "test" of fidelity. Just FYI.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
(male)

acharos HB User

Agreed.
The other issue, is I love to perform oral sex on my girl, and now after reading a bunch on it- i fear i cant ever do it again! Seems they are discovering more and more cases of throat cancer are related to the virus. Whats your take on this? I have not tried the Dam method, but I already know I wont enjoy that. And neither will she i bet.
This whole thing is a nightmare. It is going to completly flip our sex life on its head.
its such a big part of our relationship, and so much of what we enjoyed doing is now out. I can deal with the condoms for intercourse, but the Dam? God no!
The worst part is she does not even have her gyno appt until July 6th. I think she is crazy but its a free health clinic and she is uninsured. I offered to pay so she could at least get the HPV test and see which strain she has, but she refuses to accept. If you have any answerers for me, I would appreciate it. Thanks again in advance...

Old 05-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
(female)

scared7 HB User

I just went through the same thoughts and concerns that you have. Oral sex and sex in general is a huge part of mine and my husband's lives. Your concerns are legitimate, but try to put it into perspective.

If you have both had oral sex with each other, then you both have already shared the strains that you are going too. Hopefully, your bodies are producing the antibodies that they need to to suppress it. And since you both have had oral, then the "harm" has already been done.

Secondly, it is scary to read all the stuff out there that links high risk hpv to oral cancers and anal cancers but try to invision this. There are MILLIONS of people that have high risk HPV that will NEVER know that they have it. And a good majority of people with the high risk strains fight the virus into suppression and that is that. You can't sit there and worry your life away on something that most likely is not going to effect you.

I speak from having these feelings myself... I worried for weeks about getting all these different cancers.... but look at ALL of the horrible health issues that spead around the internet.

My doctor told me that it is VERY rare for someone to get oral cancer from HPV if they don't smoke in association to it and in someone my age.

There are way worse things that could happen to anyone on any given day... one of my friends is suffering from a brain tumor, breast cancer, and a heart condition. So worrying about something non-predictable is not good. Plus, you need to boost your immune system to fight the HPV into a remission... stressing is the worst thing for your immune system.

I hope this helps. Having HPV is scary at first, but just know that you are not alone and that the vast majority of people live perfectly fine lives with it.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
(male)

acharos HB User

I appreciate your wisdom and insight about this issue. I feel a lot more comfortable reading your words. In my heart, I feel the same. Im not going to live my life with this fear in the back of my mine. I realize these articals sell magazines or what have you, and the goal is to create drama. Its like watching the news, why bother.They never speak about anything positive except for the last minute of the broadcast.There is no doubt the last 2 years of my life has been packed with so much stress and depression, that it has crushed my immune system. My friends and family cnt believe I'm keeping it together. Thank god I work out, or I would be a real mess. I need to figure out how to reduce the stress and boost my immune system back to what it has always been; strong.
The GW's i got was very small, not that it matters, but I have always had the mental state that my body could fight off anything. It's why it caught me by surprise, that all. As hard this is to accept, I am so thankful i'm not getting news that I have a worst STD. This is a wake up call for me to practice safer sex. Who knows where life takes you, so if i am out there again, it wont be anything like my past.
Again, thank you. I hope and pray for your friends recovery as well.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
(female)

scared7 HB User

Start taking a multivitamin if you are not on one. I take one of those and an extra vitamin c and zinc supplement everyday. There are also links to green tea building immunity. I mix green tea with non-sugar lemonade (because I can't handle the taste of straight green tea).

I can't remember if I said it or not, but smoking hurts immunity... so if you smoke, you should take the steps to quit.

I am glad that I helped. This will all work out.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-27-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 05-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
(male)

acharos HB User

Thanks again. I will take your advice, plus check out the links. No, never smoked. cant stand it. your the best. i am sure I will have other questions. I have not seen my girl since she told me about this, so the weekend should be interesting. I will keep you posted>>

Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

From what I understand, a very small percent (less than 10%, I think) of head and neck cancers are caused by HPV - and there aren't a lot of head and neck cancers. I know a woman who had an HPV throat cancer, but I also know that she has had treatment and 3 years post surgery has been released from her oncologist.

Since the two of you have already swapped strains of of HPV, then you might as well keep enjoying the things you enjoy.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

Your percentage of HPV related head and neck cancers may be correct right now, but the amount of cases are rising, and it is predicted in ten years HPV will be the leading cause of those cancers, so I assume many who have HPV now will be diagnosed with oral cancer as the next decade passes, but HPV related oral cancer is less deadly than cancers caused by tobacco and alcohol.

I mentioned to my dentist that he is the first line of defense against oral cancer when he performs dental examinations, since HPV causes oral cancers and can be transmitted via saliva and other physical contact. He had no idea was I was talking about, he said that he thought HIV wasn't transmitted via saliva! I told him I was talking about HPV, not HIV! He said at his age (he's 73 and single) it doesn't make much difference if he gets HPV, because he doesn't have much longer to live anyway!

The HPV situation is such a mess, we have men who are carriers with no symptoms who can't be tested, women who are carriers who haven't been tested, women who are carriers who have tested positive but are keeping it secret, and older people who don't care what they have or what they are passing on because they will be dead soon!

I read that prostitutes have very limited physical contact with their "clients" now, it seems they are protecting themselves against HPV better than the general public is!

Two weeks ago I wrote a letter to the superintendent of schools in my city because my 14 year old niece attends high school, and she told me her health teacher is teaching them how to avoid HIV with condoms, and that kissing (French) is ok because it won't transmit HIV, but the kids are not being taught how HPV is transmitted and they have a false sense of security that they are safe from all STD's when they kiss and use condoms. I haven't received a response from him yet.

Last edited by jacal5; 05-28-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Closed Thread