It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
(female)

ScrambledBrains HB User
Should I feel this lousy??

My MD decreased my xanax from .5 three x daily to .5 twice daily. She also increased my Celexa from 30mgm to 40mgm per day. This happened 15 days ago and I feel really lousy today. Achy, head zaps, queasy, headache. It could be a bug, but I haven't been sick in years. Just wondering about the timing.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

WhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB UserWhenItRains HB User
Re: Should I feel this lousy??

It depends how long you have been taking the Xanax.You could be having some slight withdrawals.
Anytime I increase the dosage of my antidepressant I feel pretty crappy though.However,it's been 15 days so it shouldn't still be effecting you this much.

If you keep feeling bad,you should talk to your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
(female)

JusthangingOn HB User

I hadn't had side effects with other meds, not even when I started Celexa but when I increased from 20 to 40 everything went haywire. I had the headaches/brain zaps, muscle pain, fatigue, etc. I thought I'd just toughen it out since I knew it was related to the meds but I couldn't.. I talked to my doc and he said to go back to 20 and all the stuff went away. You should definitely talk to your doctor!

Old 06-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
(female)

Darci13 HB User

Hi I am new here, but I have suffered from severe depression and anxiety all my life. I am now 57 years old so I kept hoping there would be something to make it go away but nothing has thus far. I know that after awhile meds have to be changed again as I guess one's body builds up immunity against it and then the meds no longer are effective. But also what works for one might not work for another as we all have different chemical makeup. That being said, Xanax is one that does not work for me well at all. I had to quit taking it as it made me worse. There is also another drug they tried on me that was horrible for me it was Effexor that had to have been the worst nightmare experience on meds that I have ever had. But like I said I have heard others that say this works great for them just not so for me. I wish there was a magic pill that could help us all and take all this pain, depression and anxiety away. People that have never had depression truly do not understand it I think they just tell you it is what it is and you have to just shake it off and go on. I wish that it were that simple I would have done it years ago. But I have not found it to be simple or easy. Nor finding the right prescriptions to be so easy either.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
(female)

ScrambledBrains HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darci13 View Post
Hi I am new here, but I have suffered from severe depression and anxiety all my life. I am now 57 years old so I kept hoping there would be something to make it go away but nothing has thus far. I know that after awhile meds have to be changed again as I guess one's body builds up immunity against it and then the meds no longer are effective. But also what works for one might not work for another as we all have different chemical makeup. That being said, Xanax is one that does not work for me well at all. I had to quit taking it as it made me worse. There is also another drug they tried on me that was horrible for me it was Effexor that had to have been the worst nightmare experience on meds that I have ever had. But like I said I have heard others that say this works great for them just not so for me. I wish there was a magic pill that could help us all and take all this pain, depression and anxiety away. People that have never had depression truly do not understand it I think they just tell you it is what it is and you have to just shake it off and go on. I wish that it were that simple I would have done it years ago. But I have not found it to be simple or easy. Nor finding the right prescriptions to be so easy either.
I hear you. I am 55 and have suffered from this awful depression for a few years since my daughter and her boyfriend died in a car accident........I feel now that the Dr.s rushed me to medication to help with the grief, now they are afraid I'll be suicidal if they take me off.....I have tried every med out there. Wellbutrin worked great for me, but it stopped. I do think the increase in the Celexa is making me feel lousy. So, am going to decrease myself back down. I see the Dr. next week. I don't want the Xanax, but she won't put me on Ativan. I have to take the ambien to sleep, or as I fall asleep, I see my daughter in the casket, and I would rather be hooked on a sleeping pill for the rest of my life than that image. Thanks to all who replied, I truly appreciate it...........so sick of this black hole. One sister died of anal cancer, another sister is battling stage IV ovarian cancer..........I try to feel alive, but I just don't......will I ever????

Old 06-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
(female)

sha2020 HB User

You have experienced the deepest loss I could ever imagine - that of losing a child. I cannot imagine your grief of such a loss along with the loss of the hopes and dreams for your daughter, her boyfriend and yourself,along with your sisters. Do you have any other children or family? Is your sister with the ovarian cancer getting worse at this time? It sounds like the increase in Celexa is causing some of your symptoms along with the stress of your sister's condition. My doctor told me that a combination of anti depressants seems to work well for some people when they become resistant to any one medication. Maybe you can discuss that with your doctor. Have you found any other way to help relieve your depession - walking, support groups, religion, a pet? I believe things will get better but it may take longer because of your continued grieving with your sister being so ill. One day at a time or even one hour at a time is all you need to focus on now. Keep posting and reading the message boards.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
(female)

ScrambledBrains HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sha2020 View Post
You have experienced the deepest loss I could ever imagine - that of losing a child. I cannot imagine your grief of such a loss along with the loss of the hopes and dreams for your daughter, her boyfriend and yourself,along with your sisters. Do you have any other children or family? Is your sister with the ovarian cancer getting worse at this time? It sounds like the increase in Celexa is causing some of your symptoms along with the stress of your sister's condition. My doctor told me that a combination of anti depressants seems to work well for some people when they become resistant to any one medication. Maybe you can discuss that with your doctor. Have you found any other way to help relieve your depession - walking, support groups, religion, a pet? I believe things will get better but it may take longer because of your continued grieving with your sister being so ill. One day at a time or even one hour at a time is all you need to focus on now. Keep posting and reading the message boards.
Hi, thanks for caring and replying.....I do have 3 surviving children and 3 gorgeous granddaughters and I treasure them all. All adults and living on their own. I am in my second marriage, their father, my first husband, cheated on me years ago and left all of us when his girlfriend ( now, wife ) got pregnant. I was a single mother for a few years when I married my present husband 15 years ago. No support there, he tries, he just doesn't communicate at all... I have 3 dogs and 3 cats who I give alot of my love and attention to. I am a non working nurse at present with no plans to return working. I don't have the memory skills anymore, feel like my name implies. Scrambled Brains. I don't feel comfortable having to give anyone meds or injections when I am not sharp. I did join grief groups, but I would be having a good day and a parent would come in crying and I would go right back to day one of my daughter. So, I couldn't handle it. Did some volunteer work with SPCA. My sister is stage !V, in remission at present time. My life reads like a really bad country song.....lol.........just can't seem to get off the couch most days. That's where my Dr. gets mad at me. She says I have to force myself out the door, whether I feel like it or not.....OK......My opthamologist suggests I have Sjorens Syndrome, I have no tears, saliva or nasal drainage. He wants me to be tested for that. Perhaps that would explain the severe aches, pains and depression. My Dr. says Xanax causes depression, that's why she decreased it. Does anyone know if that's true?? Thanks for caring.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
(female)

sha2020 HB User

Xanax does cause me to feel more down, sad & I only take a small dosage for sleep at night, but am in the process of giving it up for the very reason that it does add to my depression. My doc says stay with Lunesta or Ambien, but they both cause the temporary amnesia in me where I forget it is the same day when thinking I did something yesterday, or getting confused over time. Lunesta is much better for me as far as that side effect. Have you tried Lunesta instead of Ambien? It might help with your forgetfullness.

It is good to hear you have other family and I hope you see your children/grandchildren often. Still, they cannot make up for the loss of your daughter. I understand also the cycle of attending the grief groups and having it spin you right back to the beginning. You are probably the type of person, like myself, who has to grieve more privately or one on one, not in a group. For me, just talking, talking, talking about my grief issues over and over again eventually helped - either that or just the amount of time that passed. I would advise reading daily inspirational messages - they don't have to be religious. I find them on the internet. Also, walking & watching funny movies sometimes helps. Sounds like you have done everything you can at this point, so just keep doing your best & allow yourself more time.

Definately get checked out for Sjorens and any estrogen imbalances. You know the stages of grief and the final one, acceptance, can take some times many years. You are still cycling through the anger, depression. But do check out anything physical.

Sorry the husband is not a lot of support for you, but that seems to be the story with most women it seems. All guys want to do is solve the problem and get frustrated when they cannot. We women need to hash it out, talk it out, think it through, process it over & over. Get your physical problems attended to, and give yourself more time with the grieving.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
(female)

ScrambledBrains HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sha2020 View Post
Xanax does cause me to feel more down, sad & I only take a small dosage for sleep at night, but am in the process of giving it up for the very reason that it does add to my depression. My doc says stay with Lunesta or Ambien, but they both cause the temporary amnesia in me where I forget it is the same day when thinking I did something yesterday, or getting confused over time. Lunesta is much better for me as far as that side effect. Have you tried Lunesta instead of Ambien? It might help with your forgetfullness.

It is good to hear you have other family and I hope you see your children/grandchildren often. Still, they cannot make up for the loss of your daughter. I understand also the cycle of attending the grief groups and having it spin you right back to the beginning. You are probably the type of person, like myself, who has to grieve more privately or one on one, not in a group. For me, just talking, talking, talking about my grief issues over and over again eventually helped - either that or just the amount of time that passed. I would advise reading daily inspirational messages - they don't have to be religious. I find them on the internet. Also, walking & watching funny movies sometimes helps. Sounds like you have done everything you can at this point, so just keep doing your best & allow yourself more time.

Definately get checked out for Sjorens and any estrogen imbalances. You know the stages of grief and the final one, acceptance, can take some times many years. You are still cycling through the anger, depression. But do check out anything physical.

Sorry the husband is not a lot of support for you, but that seems to be the story with most women it seems. All guys want to do is solve the problem and get frustrated when they cannot. We women need to hash it out, talk it out, think it through, process it over & over. Get your physical problems attended to, and give yourself more time with the grieving.
My husband is a great man, he has high functioning autism. He works, drives, but he doesn't communicate. He can't help it.........He wasn't my daughter's father. Didn't have any children with him. They are all from my ex-husband and he is useless to me as far as talking about my daughter. He has his own family with younger children so I hardly talk to him. I am through the anger, mad at the world, God phase and have accepted my daughter's death. I know I will be with her for eternity, and my thought process now is to enjoy the time I have here with my children and grandchildren. I just can't seem to get motivated to move, do anything, find joy in what little I do. It takes a huge effort to get out the door and I don't have enjoyment when I get to my destination. I want to feel better so desperately. I will not give up. Maybe time to change Dr's. She is always pushing me to try ECT no matter how many times I tell her NO....I am terrified of losing any memory of my daughter that I have. She won't change the Ambien, says they are all basically the same and won't change my xanaz to ativan. I keep telling her I only want to take something for panic attacks when I need to. Oh well. Thanks for responding. I appreciate it. I hope you feel better and can work out your grief issues too. I used to talk and cry to family and friends. You won't believe how many people you lose when you experience the loss of a child. Like it's contagious or something.........Now, I only grieve privately. Believe it or not, noone wants to hear you anymore.

Closed Thread