It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
(male)

drlguy HB User
Lots of blood after movement

I've been having trouble with a lot of blood in the toilet. It seems to be happening daily or at least every other day. I've gone to the Doctor who says it's just Hemorrhoids, and he even banded one of them but I'm still scared. I'm 28 and really worried I have something seriously wrong. It's not going away either. I don't know what else to do. Is this really hemorrhoids? It makes the toilet bowl red. The blood has seemed to be darker lately, before it was bright red.

I wasn't sure where to post this so I posted it here also because I'm scared it's cancer and I'm being mis-diagnosed by the Dr.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Lots of blood after movement

"It makes the toilet bowl red. The blood has seemed to be darker lately, before it was bright red."

That sentence says it all. Hemorrhoids produce bright red blood because it is actually bleeding right near the opening of the rectum; thus, the blood doesn't have a chance to turn dark. On occasion, the hemorrhoid may bleed only slightly and the blood isn't discharged right away, so the blood can get a bit darker.

On the other hand, with a more serious problems, such as cancer, when it does bleed, it's bleeding further up in the intestinal tract and the blood that comes out looks dark and tarry looking (think like tar as in road paving oil). It's noticeably different than the type of bleeding you get from a hemorrhoid.

Further, a doctor can tell by an anal exam whether or not you have a hemorrhoid, because it's actually visible on exam...it's basically like a varicose vein.

Some people are more prone to developing hemorrhoids than others, but diet also plays an important part. Being constipated and straining to have bowel movements contributes to the development of hemorrhoids. If you're having this problem often, the first thing to do would be to make sure your diet includes lots of fiber, such as whole grain cereal and bread (the first ingredient should read "whole grain wheat flour", as opposed to simply "whole wheat flour"), lots of fruits and vegetables.

As a temporary measure, while you're waiting for your new diet to kick in, you can try some sort of laxative and/or stool softener, but you're not supposed to use those long-term. However, as a temporary measure they can be helpful.

Given that your doc actually saw the hemorrhoid and "banded" it...I don't think you need to worry at all about it.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
(male)

drlguy HB User

Ruth, thank you so much for replying. It's hard to explain how stressed I get about this or how scared. I feel like I can't even relax and be myself anymore. It's like whenever I let my guard down theres blood. Its gotten to the point that I'm just used to seeing a red toilet bowel. I'll be so glad when it's over but in the meantime I'll just keep on dealing with it. Thank you so much for taking the time you did in your response.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
(female)

EloiseWilde HB User

Also check that you don't have an ulcer with a bleeder.

Closed Thread