It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
(female)

gaga101 HB User
Question 9 polyps???? Ugh!

Hi Everybody:

I am 53 and just had colonoscopy last week. Found nine polyps and doctor said none looked bad but waiting for results. No family history here but wondering why I have so many... In my scoping it out with folks, I keep hearing maybe one or two, but NINE??? Why do I have so many and what causes them? Just wondering if anyone else has had that many and what you know about it.

Thanks for your response. Learning and wondering what I can do to make this better. Was told to come back for repeat in two years.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
(female)

Kat5 HB User
Re: 9 polyps???? Ugh!

I had first colonoscopy at age 50 (am 62 now) and had 11 polyps. They all were checked and came back clear of cancer. Since there is big history of colon cancer in my family it was recomned that I have a colonoscopy every 2 years instead of the normal 3 years. I did develop anal cancer at age 57. However, it was not beleived to be related to any polyps. That was discovered when I went in for surgery for what was thought to be an external hemroid. Was actually a tumor between my vagina wall and anus. I had been negleting to have regular paps smears and pelvic exams since I had had a hysterectormy at age 42 or it would have been discovered sooner. After some surgery, several rounds of 24hr chemo 5 days a week an 7 weeks of radiation, the tumor is gone and I have just past my 5 year remission date! So along with regular colonoscopies be sure not to neglete regular pelvic exams and Pap Smears! (Even if you don't have a cervix because these can also detect vaginal cancers!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
(female)

Kat5 HB User

Keep me posted on how you're doing! I don't really know what causes polyps; may be genetic. Don't panic if the results say pre-cancerous. They have already been removed and are gone now. Just continue to get regular check-ups, watch for any signs of bleeding and if you haven't already try to eat more fiber! Most important - relax; I'm sure everything will be just fine! Also, most oncologists will be happy to take a look at your pictues and test results and give you a 2nd opinon if that will ease your mind.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
(female)

gaga101 HB User

Hi Kat5

Thanks for the info and sharing your story. Three of mine came back as the pre-cancerous type but they are gone now. Very glad I went. Glad things are good for you now and hope you will keep being checked regular. Never heard of anal cancer till Farrah made it famous.

Now when I get on my soap box about tanning beds and mammograms, I also add the necessity of a colonoscopy! Take care and best wishes for your future.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
(female)

shirleyvannorma HB User
Cool dark colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaga101 View Post
Hi Everybody:

I am 53 and just had colonoscopy last week. Found nine polyps and doctor said none looked bad but waiting for results. No family history here but wondering why I have so many... In my scoping it out with folks, I keep hearing maybe one or two, but NINE??? Why do I have so many and what causes them? Just wondering if anyone else has had that many and what you know about it.

Thanks for your response. Learning and wondering what I can do to make this better. Was told to come back for repeat in two years.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User

Gaga
There is a hereditary condition called FAP (familial adenomatous polyposis)which causes numerous (hundreds) of polyps in the small and large intestine and usually develops by the late teens, early twenties. Since you are 53, this is highly unlikely to be your problem. If your MD said some of the polyps were of a precancerous type and since you had nine polyps, I hope he recommended that you have a repeat colonoscopy in 1 year. Then if your scope is clean at that time, you can space out the colonoscopies to every 3 years. Since most colon cancers start out as polyps, that then develop abnormal cells and over several years become cancerous, removing polyps at the earliest stage possible is a way of preventing colon cancer.

Leslie

Closed Thread