It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
(male)

whatfor10 HB User
what are the odds?

Can a male get the HPV strand that gives women more of a chance of getting cervical cancer? Can a male body get rid of on its own? I heard it helps if you are in better shape. Is there a test out there for men to get tested for HPV?

Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: what are the odds?

Yes, men can definitely get (and transmit) the strain of HPV that can lead to cervical cancer. This is just how it goes.

It's not being in great shape that matters (that sounds like you mean strength and muscles), you need to have a strong immune system. You have to eat well, etc.

As far as a test goes: if you have warts they can examine it, and there is a test similar to the PAP for testing for anal cancer, but in general to see if you carry the HPV virus: nope...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
(male)

whatfor10 HB User

Thanks for the info....no warts. A female that I was with said she has the hpv strand that causes cervical cancer....So with a strong immune system. It will go away overtime. Right? I dont want to give it to anyone else. If no sex is the only way. Then ok....I have no warts whats so ever. Could I just be paranoid?

Old 06-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
(female)

scared7 HB User

Here is what I know about HPV since being diagnosed with it myself. The HPV that she has is called High Risk HPV. I does not mean that she will necessarily ever get cervical cancer, it just means that the type that she has can lead to it over time if left undiagnosed or left untreated.

HPV (both high risk and low risk) never go away. This is the very misleading info about many of the blogs or things that people read. The symptoms can be suppressed with a good immune system. HPV is like every other virus out there... any virus you have ever had never completely exits the body. For example, if you've had the flu... you still have the flu virus in your body-- it has just suppressed itself. This is why when someone has the flu once, they are very likely to show symptoms of it again over time when their immune system is weakened.

Now that may sound like bad news, but if the symptoms of the HPV are gone then that is a sign that your body is making antibodies that are keeping the HPV from damaging the body.

Unfortunately, now that you have had sex with someone that has high risk HPV, you most definitely have it. But you actaully could have given it to her as well. Guys do not show signs or symptoms of high risk HPV... and women can suppress the symptoms for days, months, or even years before ever seeing an irregular pap due to HPV. Therefore, it is equally as hard for a woman to determine who gave her the HPV unless she has only had one sex partner.

I would not go as drastic as to say that you wont have sex again. The statistics show that the majority of sexually active people have high risk or low risk HPV whether they know about it or they don't. I think it is over 80% of all sexually active people have it. It is nothing that you should feel dirty about.... things happen. Adult actions come with adult consequences.... we have learned the hard way. But you do need to be honest and respect your partner by telling her first now that you know that you carry it.

Last edited by scared7; 06-22-2010 at 04:32 PM.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

scared 7 gave you some great information. I just want to add a little bit.

HPV can be transmitted by any genital skin to genital skin contact, not just through sexual intercourse. Genital skin, in this instance is: vulva, vagina, cervix, penis, anus/rectum, mouth/throat. So various forms of foreplay can transmit HPV. It is passed through the skin, not fluids. Wearing a condom offers some protection against HPV, but not complete.

Also, not every doctor tests a woman for high risk HPV. Some insurance companies don't cover the cost, so some women opt to not get it. Additionally, the HPV/dna test has only been approved for use in the USA for about 4 or 5 years. Again, not every doctor offers it.

That being said, a woman who gets regular paps with good results could still have negative effects from high risk HPV. HPV can cause damage on any of those other body parts that I mentioned earlier.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
(male)

whatfor10 HB User

can a male take a blood test to make sure he has HPV? The hard thing is not knowing or seeing the fact...Thanks to all for the great info.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
(female)

scared7 HB User

To my knowledge, and someone please add to it if I am wrong, I do not believe that there is a blood test for HPV? PickleEyes probably knows the answer to this one.

Closed Thread