It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
(female)

misty073 HB User
Dysplasia-VIN= HPV?

So I have VIN 1 and 2 (dysplasia) and when I asked my dr if its HPV I cant remember if he said yes or more than likely...then he started talking about the gardisil shot(which he said I should get to protect from other strains??? not sure how I would get them if I have been with my husband for 8 years??). I called his office today and there is no record in my file about a positive HPV test...so she is going to have him call me on monday. I have read that you can have VIN without HPV. And how is the HPV test done? do they just assume if you have an abnormal pap (which I never have) or abnormal cells its caused by HPV?

Has everyone who has been told they have HPV actually had a test??

Old 08-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
(female)

scaredagain1 HB User
Re: Dysplasia-VIN= HPV?

From what I have gathered, hpv can lay dormant for many years in your body. you or your husband could have had hpv for many years. and yes i actually did test positive for hpv. fyi: it is CIN 1, 2, 3

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
(female)

misty073 HB User

I have VIN 1 and 2 which is on my vulva But I have never before had an abnormal pap, which I think is weird considering that is more common than what I have. I know my husband or I could have had it before we were together (if I have HPV) but wouldnt we already have passed strains that we have? The dr said to protect against other strains or I wonder if he meant other ones that are dormant?

The reason I am asking is because I am going to insist on a hormone test from my dr as I have been having health issues for over 5 years and I have read that hormone imbalance causes dyslasia. I am wondering if I had the itch first and that has caused the abnormal cells rather than the other way around.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
(female)

scaredagain1 HB User

Sorry Misty. I had never before heard of VIN.. I guess because that has never been in my experience. I understand now. I am not 100% positive but I believe if the HPV is dormant it is possible to not pass on to your partner. One of you could have had it before but it only recently became active due to stress, a suppressed immune system or some other unknown reason. I believe there is still alot to be learned about hpv.. it is definitely a tricky one.

Last edited by scaredagain1; 08-14-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
(female)

misty073 HB User

So I was talking to my dr and they did not do an HPV test. He said that "most" dysplasia is caused by HPV and the test is expensive so they dont do it???? How do they know most is caused by HPV if they dont test for it I dont like assuming I have something that I may not. I have never had an abnormal Pap test, my dysplasia is on my vulva and from what I have read it could be caused by damage to the skin. I have had a chronic itch for 5 years down there...I want to know if the itch (me scratching) caused the dyslasia or if I do have HPV and that caused the dysplasia which caused the itch...If I dont have HPV I still need to further investigate what caused the itch in the first place

Old 09-20-2010, 06:02 AM   #6
(female)

sarasota2004 HB User

Hi Misty:

I had moderate cervical dysplasia/HPV in 1996 and had a LEEP to remove dysplasia and since then, normal PAPs. I experienced in 2004 a very very persistent vulva itch and anal. I questioned this to the doctors over and over... because I have read HPV is linked to anal and vulva cancer. I was always dismissed... and told the vulva would have to show signs of lesions? I was diagnosed with linchen slerosus... which basically is a skin condition for unknown reasons causes severe ithcing. I was given a steroid cream and it has helped, keeping the itchiness at bay. However, the doctor told me that if you keep scratching, it could lead to vulva cancer. Linchen sclerosus has a link to it?

Now, after reading your posts regarding being persistent and getting the vinegar wash to test for dysplasia, I am angry... why wouldn't they do that for me? I have had these symptoms for 6 years now. And if god forbid it's bad... how long have I been doing nothing? How did they removed your vulva dysplasia??

Old 09-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
(female)

misty073 HB User

They havent removed mine I am using a creme called aldera and have to go back for a follow up in Oct. The itchy areas I have are now gone, what a relief finally after over 5 almost 6 years...one thing that does concern me is I now have an itchy area on my clitoris and I have been using the cream there the whole time (drs orders to put it every where)

Old 09-22-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
(female)

sarasota2004 HB User

Misty,

I was tested positive for HPV in 1996. After taking care of the cervical dysplasia then, every single year after, I have tested negative for HPV. Today, I get tested every 3 years with a combo HPV test/cervical pap test.

There is controversy as whether the HPV went away or it's dormant? But no test will prove I have it anymore. You say you want an HPV test... I really wouldn't think it matters at this point? Let's say you got your VIN from HPV... chances are, the HPV is out of your system? Do you get yearly pap smears? This tests for abnormal cells/dysplasia, which is caused by HPV. I was told cervical pap smears are only 60% accurate... meaning, they can miss a lot of abnormal cells, so you could get an okay reading. A yearly pap along with an HPV test gives the test a little more accuracy. If you test positive for HPV they follow you a little more, making sure dysplasia doesn't happen.

So even if your VIN was caused by HPV... you may not have it anymore? Since your symtpoms have been happening for years. Just like me, I was positive for HPV in 1996 only. But have had dysplasia as a result.

My question to you is what happens next by taking the cream for your VIN??? Do they re-biopsy? will you get another vinegar wash?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
(female)

misty073 HB User

I am not sure if they will do another biopsy or just another vinegar wash. My appointment has been bumped to nov 1st now so I have to wait a few more days to see what he says.

Closed Thread