It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
(male)

KJacob HB User
Not sure what's going on...

The last two weeks Ive been rather constipated with some direhha and have had on and off cramps so I googled my symptoms and most of them were generic to most bowel problems and even just normal constipation and stuff. Anyways I got checked out by the doctor who says I should be fine and just make some changes in my diet until it goes away.

Anyway the thing is when I go to the bathroom sometimes I can't go but it feels like stool is trying to come out but doesn't Or if I do get some out it's usually not a lot and I feel as if I still need to go. I usually need to strain. Now I'd agree with my doctor but when I do go my stool is typical soft looking rather then hard like you'd think it would be with constipation. I can usually only somewhat go in the mornings then most the day I feel like I need to and can't.

I have never had any bowel problems and stuff like that so this worries me. I'm afraid it could be something actually wrong. But I think my only choice is to wait and see.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by KJacob; 08-31-2010 at 04:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
(female)

tamara999 HB User
Re: Not sure what's going on...

There are lots of bowel disorders but fortunately most have some very distinct symptoms like blood in the stool, localized pain, severe diarrhea, ribbon-like stools, etc. Age is often a factor, as is history of bowel disturbances. If you are young and healthy and haven't had bowel issues before, that's a good thing. I certainly understand your concern though, when you have a rather sudden change in your bowel function it's very disconcerting. I would suggest returning to the doctor if you don't have an improvement soon. Be kind to your intestines in the mean time, drink plenty of water and eat a sufficient amount of fiber but don't overdo it. If you don't get regular exercise try to get some walking in every day, get plenty of sleep, etc. I'm not suggesting that these are fixes for your problem but just a good way to treat yourself while you wait and see.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
(male)

KJacob HB User

Well most the pain is around my lower abdominal area and goes into my sides sometimes. But the last 2 days the pain seemed to improve a lot but came back tonight. As for other stuff I guess some stool are ribbon like but sometimes there not so yeah. No blood in stool but there was a tiny bit on toilet paper. But I'm fairly certain that it's from a anal fissure reopening or starting as it seemed to stop very quickly. Ive had one before and it healed so maybe I got another it felt the same. I can kind of tell where I think it is. I have been straining quite a bit and was when I noticed it.

My primary problem is a feeling of not completing a bowel movement and constipation. Like I said in the post.

But over all no real improvement and I'm giving it a day or two more then I'm scheduling an appointment to the doctor for a full examination.

I was a little worried about the little bit of blood because that can be a sign of cancer. But I'm only 18 which puts me no where near the age range for something like colon cancer and some other serious digestive problems which if I'm right are typically looked for around the age of 50. I may not have the best diet but overall I'm not sick very often and get at least some exercise maybe not as much as I could. But don't see very many of it's typical causes applying to me in anyway. Only person I know with a digestive problem is my step brother who has Crohns Disease. So it's not like I have any problems running in my family that are related to my digestive system/bowels.

Sorry to go on and on but rationalizing with myself keeps me from worrying about it.

Last edited by KJacob; 09-01-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
(female)

tamara999 HB User

I also had a fissure when I was young, I was only 20. The blood was bright red and sometimes made a distinct streak on the poops. I'm not sure what color it is if you have bleeding from farther up in the colon, I doubt it's so bright but I could be wrong. Did you already have a sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy to diagnose the fissure? If not, it would probably be a good thing to do, just to make sure that's where the blood is coming from.

My nephew has full-blown Crohns. It developed in his teens. Nobody else in our family has Crohns, though I have always had issues, alternating constipation and diarrhea, periodic cramping, too much gas. (I am not surprised that I now have diverticular disease.) Chances are you don't have Crohns, but it's a possibility. Or you could have IBS. If it's one of these kinds of diseases it might take a while to diagnose. Again, the best thing to do while you are waiting to see the doctor or waiting for results is be really good to your body. Definitely drink more water and increase your fiber (but don't overdo), these are great habits to develop even if it doesn't solve your problems. Especially during your constipated periods eat foods that help you go more, for me it's certain fruits like oranges and strawberries.

Best of luck to you!!

Closed Thread