It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

tarbox75 HB User
Rectum Cancer

Last week we found out the my father in law has a rectum adenocarcinoma. Is this considered rectum or colon cancer. Today we will get the stage. However, when they performed his colonscopy they removed 8 polyps (pathology came back positive for cancer on all 8), also found the tumor. The tumor is golf ball size and the doctor says "I have never seen anything like this" in which the colonscopy was then finished.

I am worried about prognosis. My father in law is very stubborn and said that he would rather be living with the tumor than live with a colostomy bag. He doesn't want to do chemo because he doesn't want to loose his hair. Instead, my father in law is going to fight his cancer with charcoal. Does anyone know how effective charcoal is with fighting cancer. I am also praying he doesn't come home today with the staging at stage 4. We were told it would be about 3 weeks before he would start any testing procedures. Well, they called the next day to start scheduling. Today he is having an endoscopic ultrasound and a CT scan.

How quickly does this cancer grow and metastasize?

What would you recommend for our family who will be responsible for getting him to his appointments and hopefully convincing him for treatments?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
(female)

windimeria2000 HB User
Re: Rectum Cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbox75 View Post
Last week we found out the my father in law has a rectum adenocarcinoma. Is this considered rectum or colon cancer. Today we will get the stage. However, when they performed his colonscopy they removed 8 polyps (pathology came back positive for cancer on all 8), also found the tumor. The tumor is golf ball size and the doctor says "I have never seen anything like this" in which the colonscopy was then finished.

I am worried about prognosis. My father in law is very stubborn and said that he would rather be living with the tumor than live with a colostomy bag. He doesn't want to do chemo because he doesn't want to loose his hair. Instead, my father in law is going to fight his cancer with charcoal. Does anyone know how effective charcoal is with fighting cancer. I am also praying he doesn't come home today with the staging at stage 4. We were told it would be about 3 weeks before he would start any testing procedures. Well, they called the next day to start scheduling. Today he is having an endoscopic ultrasound and a CT scan.

How quickly does this cancer grow and metastasize?

What would you recommend for our family who will be responsible for getting him to his appointments and hopefully convincing him for treatments?
Can't make him do anything. My guess he is in stage 1 of cancer. however tumors can grow rapidly especially if there around a large flow of blood supply. I would suggest you get the doctor to show him a video of people who wear colostomy bags and how those people become independent. However at this stage I don't THINK he will need a bag. Lets hope that he will take the treatments the doctor recommends and I pray he gets better. There are those that pull through and others that don't. Keep us posted on how things are progressing. I went through this with my dad and could possible help in some way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #3
(female)

tarbox75 HB User

Thanks Windimeria. The doctor's told him he needs to let his siblings know about the cancer. He says that he doesn't have cancer and that this whole thing was and is caused by drinking too many sodas.
I will be letting his siblings know.
We find out next Thursday what type of treatment he will need. We believe from what the doctor's have said (in a round about way) that he is stage 2 or 3. Waiting patiently for next week to get the "real" diagnosis.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
(female)

pearl6385 HB User

I am only 37 and was diagnosed with stage IV rectal cancer that has metastasized to my lymph nodes. My doctor said the tumor I have probably started growing 10 years ago. I only had a couple of symptoms that doctors fluffed off I assume because of my age. I have gone through 4 cycles of chemo therapy since 10/6. If you father in law would like to talk with me I would be more than willing to answer any questions. I don't know about charcoal. I have not lost my hair. My oncologist said 30% of people will lose hair, 30% thin, and some don't experience any hair loss. I have thinned but it is not gone yet so there is hope not to lose it all.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
(female)

tarbox75 HB User

Thanks Pearle! We are on the road to understanding his prognosis. He will be having surgery on Dec. 7th. Keeping our fingers cross! Good luck with your outcome. I will pray for you. Sorry you have to endure this at such a young age.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
(female)

pearl6385 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbox75 View Post
Thanks Pearle! We are on the road to understanding his prognosis. He will be having surgery on Dec. 7th. Keeping our fingers cross! Good luck with your outcome. I will pray for you. Sorry you have to endure this at such a young age.
Oh, I am so happy he is able to have surgery. I remember when they told me I was stage III I was like I do not want to have this surgery but then when they told me the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes in my neck I ate my words because now I can never have surgery and oh how I wish I could. I have 3 kids 4, 5 and 7 so there is no room for not being positive and that is how I go about. I just want to help anyone I can at this point. Good luck on your fathers surgery. I pray things go well for him.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

The difference between rectal cancer and colon cancer is how far down it is. My husband had rectal cancer, as did his twin, and his sister had colon cancer. My husband had 10" of his sigmoid colon removed, no colostomy bag, his twin had his entire colon removed as it was too low and has a colostomy bag. Both of them were Stage III (had spread to the lymph nodes). Their sister's was higher up, couldn't have radiation, she passed away after it mestastized to her liver, lungs and brain (Stage IV).

All three had chemo, and none lost their hair. The radiation for the two brothers also wasn't bad symptom-wise -- sometimes a bit sore, but no burning. It depends on your skin color -- if you are dark skinned, you may have a bit more burning as the pigment absorbs the radiation more.

He needs to know that if it is rectal (or lower down), it can very easily travel into the bones, as well as spread all over his body. If he avoids surgery because of not wanting the bag, he is handing himself a very difficult road, a very painful one. Assuming it is Stage II or higher of course. However, if he has the surgery, they will remove what they need to when they're in there. My hubby was told he may end up with a bag as it was in a borderline area, but luckily it was just high enough that they didn't need to remove the area closer to the anus (and thus remove loss of control).

Closed Thread