It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
(male)

GT2000 HB User
Dilemma-Chemo or no Chemo- Stage II- Pls advise

Male Age 64

Surgery done 3rd November 2010. Tumour 5 X 4cm. Had 19 cm of Sigmoid Colon removed. On slicing Tumor is iniltrating the wall of the intestine

Moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma of colon

Tumor is iniltrating through the muscularis propria into subserosal fat.Lymphovascular emboli and perineural invasion not seen. Proximal and distant cut margins are free of tumor.

REGIONAL LYMPH NODES- 12 Lymph nodes are negative for metases

Astler Coller Stage B2

Pls advise

The following user gives a hug of support to GT2000:
BeckwithP (12-08-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
(female)

Misssty HB UserMisssty HB User
Re: Dilemma-Chemo or no Chemo- Stage II- Pls advise

Stage II, means the cancer has not yet spread to the lymph nodes. I do not understand why there would be a question about chemo or no chemo. Technology has made great strides these days...and I would go with chemo...since you would want the stuff KILLED before it goes to your lymph nodes. Do they advise you at all as what to do? What would be the reasons for NOT having chemo? If you are scared....I will tell you that my girlfriend used to look at chemo as the good stuff....it was killing her disease...she would be a little sick a couple days after...but it works for some people, may get you to total remission!

The Following User Says Thank You to Misssty For This Useful Post:
GT2000 (11-11-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
(female)

Gloriah112 HB User

I have Stage IIA colon cancer and I just finished round 7 of chemo, with 5 more to go. You want to make sure that you kill any lurking cancer cells. My Oncologist said that you need to understand the size of a cancer cell. If they said they got it all they are only referring to the tumor and the tissue on either side of the tumor. I would go with the chemo, I've talked to people that had stage II and didn't get chemo and have colon cancer back at Stage III and IV...not something I wanted to risk. Good luck!

Old 11-13-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
(male)

GT2000 HB User

Thanks a lot. Think we are going for it. Just wanted to understand the drugs used and the side effects. My dad is 64, and diabetic.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
(female)

Gloriah112 HB User

The most common drug for colon cancer is called FolFox, with any drug there are side effects but they are tolerable, just remember that everyone is different even with the side effects. You can almost figure that what ever side effects you have after round 1 will carry through the treatment, but with each treatment some side effects will be more intense others will not. FolFox is a combination of drugs the one that seems to give the worst side effects is call Oxaliplatin. Here's a break down of what you can expect.
1st Day folinic acid and oxaliplatin are injected into the body by way of drips, this whole process of injecting these two drugs take about 2 or 3 hours. Yo will then be hooked up to a pump and receive 5FU. You will have the pump for about 46 hours. Most of us wear a belly bag that has the pump and the 5FU in it. Then you go back in and disconnect you. You don't have another treatment for 2 weeks.
The Oxaliplatin causes cold sensitivity, you can't drink or eat or touch anything cold during treatment and a few days afterwards. I recommend having gloves near by, getting something out of the freezer can actually burn you...it feels like needles sticking in your hands. You normally don't lose all of your hair it thins. With other chemo drugs your father may experience neuropathy, since he's a diabetic I'm not sure how advanced his diabetes is, but that too can cause neuropathy, numbness/tingling in hands and feet. I think walking and using your hands helps. I will do round 8 next week and I only have a little numbness in my right hand..more of a tingling. I recommend writing things down, any side effects your father experiences so that when you go to the Oncologist you will remember, he can adjust the dosage based on the side effects and how you are doing. (I'm almost 57 and also a diabetic)
The doctor will also probably write a prescription for a drug called Emend, it's an anti nausea medicine..it's just 3 pills. You take 1 right before you start your treatment and then in the morning for the next 2 days. My doctor also gave me 2 other anti nausea pills if I need them. I've never gotten sick, just feel nauseated. There's a lot of good information on the web and sites....Let me know if I can answer any other questions....Good luck

Old 11-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

My husband had Stage III colon cancer (rectal) with 10" sigmoid colon removed. With him, there was no question of chemo/radiation, but if I was you, I would go for the chemo and anything else you can. When they say no cancer in the lymph nodes was found, they don't take ALL the lymph nodes in the area. They take a sampling. For all you know, there could be 2 lymph nodes that have cancer cells brewing. The chemo would kill that.

To me, it's kind of like having a tetanus shot when you step on a rusty nail. You don't know that you were exposed to tetanus, but the tetanus would be worse than the shot. Same here -- you don't know if there are any cancer cells lurking, but you can catch them with the chemo.

As for side effects, my hubby had the chemo 5 days in a row, then off for 3 weeks, 5 days again, etc. He did that for 6 months. He would get a bit tired, etc. but no loss of hair, no nausea. Some people do have nausea, though, so have some gravol on hand. And if you can, get a port rather than a pic line. Easier to get the treatment, and easier to have a shower with.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
(female)

Webster2617 HB User

I was told Chemo was not necessary because no nodes were effecteed, I complained of being not regular after they removed my illio and was told that my body needed to adjust out to the change of going the normal way again. The reversal was in August in December I was in the hospital I had lost over 45 lbs I told both of my doctors I was not leaving until they fould out why I was in so much pain. As it turns out the GI doctor does colonoscopies without looking on his way in, I had rectal cancer so bad they completely removed it. Then I had Chemo and radiation if I had had them before maybe I would not be a barbie but today. Don't shy away from treatment you want all of those cells out of your body.

CarolK

Last edited by Webster2617; 12-09-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
(male)

GT2000 HB User

Thanks Newbie and to all others for their advise. Dad went thru Chemo today and will have 8-12 sessions in toto. Doesnt feel anything so far 7 hours past. It is done 5 weeks post op and will be done every 2 weeks. Hopefully minimum side effects and he will sail through

Closed Thread