It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Rectal & Anal Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
(male)

chmr74 HB User
Concerned about colon cancer!

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone on here can shed some light on what's going on with me atm. I've been experiencing some upper abdomen discomfort for the last couple of months that has given me a little nausea. The feeling I have is directly below my right ribcage and it feels like there is "something there" like a mass of some sort (can't feel anything though).

About a week ago I saw a very small amount of bright red blood on the toilet paper and I have been in complete overdrive with stress since. I have also felt fatigued in the last few weeks and now have pain in my left armpit and right sided groin.

I saw my dr this week and she has booked me in for an ultrasound and also a colonoscopy! i'm very worried that it could be something such as colon cancer and feel that my symptoms seem to match certain criteria that I've read on colon cancer.

I'm a 36 yo male who is very fit and have no history of colon cancer in my family whatsoever.

Also worth noting is I've suffered from anxiety my entire life and any test that I have EVER had done has been met with the same dread and catastrophizing that I'm experiencing now.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated
Cheers

Old 11-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
(female)

Misssty HB UserMisssty HB User
Re: Concerned about colon cancer!

36 seems young to have colon cancer. Maybe you have an ulcer of some sort.
Good that you went to the Dr's. its always better to catch things early..People get scared and wait. I had a friend who had a large mass on her breast...she was scared to go to the Dr and put it off 11 months..by the time she went it was too late to do anything...So, think positive...you did the right thing by going to find out...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
(female)

pearl6385 HB User

My husband is experiencing the same pain under rib cage but after ct scan they found his spleen is enlarged. Have they checked gall bladder? I am 37 and have no colo/rectal cancer in my family as well but was diagnosed 9/2010 with stage IV rectal cancer that has metastisized to my lymph nodes. My only symptoms included urgency to have bowel movement, the size of my stools changed and then there came blood and a pressure in my rectum and a feeling of not being able to empty my stools. I hope everything turns out fine with your colonoscopy. Never ignore bowel changes. I am so happy you went to the dr when you found the blood. My prayers go out to you.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl6385 View Post
My husband is experiencing the same pain under rib cage but after ct scan they found his spleen is enlarged. Have they checked gall bladder? I am 37 and have no colo/rectal cancer in my family as well but was diagnosed 9/2010 with stage IV rectal cancer that has metastisized to my lymph nodes. My only symptoms included urgency to have bowel movement, the size of my stools changed and then there came blood and a pressure in my rectum and a feeling of not being able to empty my stools. I hope everything turns out fine with your colonoscopy. Never ignore bowel changes. I am so happy you went to the dr when you found the blood. My prayers go out to you.
Just wondering?? You say Stage IV that spread to the lymph nodes? That is Stage III. Stage IV has spread beyond the lymph nodes.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
(female)

pearl6385 HB User

According to my doctors it is stage IV incureable, inoperable because it has spread to lymph nodes in my neck.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

Quote:
According to my doctors it is stage IV incureable, inoperable because it has spread to lymph nodes in my neck.
That makes sense if it's in the lymph nodes in your neck. Are you still having treatement? My husband's sister had the same thing happen, and she had treatment for about 7 years before she stopped.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
(female)

pearl6385 HB User

I just started treatment 10/6 and go every two weeks and have 46 hour 5FU pump. I just finished 4th cycle yesterday and am already sick of it. Did she do treatment constantly or did they give her breaks? They told me I would be doing chemo indefinately but I am hoping that means not so often in the near future.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

She did it almost continuously, including experimental treatments, until she just couldn't handle it anymore and stopped. Like you, once it mestastized to her liver, she knew there wasn't going to be a cure, but wanted to fight it as long as she could.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
(female)

pearl6385 HB User

She might be stronger than me. I don't know if I can do this for 7 years but have 3 kids (4, 5, and 7) so have to fight and get used to it I guess.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

She was strong, but once she stopped treatment, she passed away within 3 months, unfortunately. Her children were all grown, so you need to fight this until you can't do it anymore.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
(male)

chmr74 HB User

Quote:
Hi Pearl6385

Thanks for your reply, I'm blown away that someone who is going through what you currently are, can give such positive support to someone like myself. I feel really embarrassed complaining and whining about my symptoms after reading what happened and continues to happen to you.

My heart goes out to you and your family, especially your children. As a father of two (4 & 6) I really can't comprehend what you're going through but just want to give you my best wishes and hope that you continue to fight as hard as you can for your children!!

I had my ultrasound and colonoscopy and both have come back clear, although the surgeon has taken some routine biopsies to check for infection etc. so in my case I guess I can count my lucky stars.

I'm not usually one for religion, but my prayers go out to you also...

Take Care
Chris

Last edited by chmr74; 11-28-2010 at 11:17 PM.

Closed Thread